cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Mobile phone looses wifi on NEW router when in kitchen (old router fine?)

14 REPLIES 14
Conversation Starter

Hi,

For some reason when I had the old HG633 router my mobile had wifi in the kitchen, not great but it picked up the router was getting  about 17meg

I recently paid for the new super fibre router Sagecome 5364, setup was fine and I have slightly faster speed... I  bought it as I was told we would get better wifi coverage in the house.

Now in the kitchen my mobile swaps to 4g as it cannot pick up the new router!?!?

I walk back into the lounge where the new router is and the phone picked it back up.

How the hell can I lose connection with a supposed bigger and better router?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Philosopher

Are you connecting to the 2.4 or 5 GHz channel ?

5 Ghz has much less penetration through walls.

Split the names of the SSIDs so you can see what connection is dropping.

Martin
Conversation Starter

Thanks, the mobile is using 2.4. can you explain what you mean by splitting ssid?

The only thing ive changed is make the SSID invisible on the hub. But this shouldnts affect the mobile phone as it has the network saved.

Philosopher

Rename the two SSIDs.

valley24 and valley50

No need to hide them

See which one you are actually connected to, if band-steering is on I believe 5 Ghz is the preferential as speeds are potentially faster.

Get a WiFi analyser app and check signal strength around your home.

Martin
Conversation Starter
Cheers, after changing them it seems my mobile and all device's are using 2.4. I might just buy a WiFi extender in the kitchen.

Just winds me up to think this is a supposed superior router and it doesn't function as good as the old one.
Philosopher

You could also try changing the physical orientation of the router, change the angle in 45 degree increments and placing it higher in the room.

If you have Android or Windows devices, get a free WiFi analyser app or program and check in your kitchen, you may be getting interference from neighbouring routers.

Most of these apps suggest the best channel, so you can always select that in the router rather than leaving it in AUTO.

Try to stick to channels 1,6 and 11 as they do not overlap and selecting 20 MHz bandwidth can also help.

If I have forgotten anything, hopefully @KeithFrench may chip in too.

Best of luck.

Martin
Community Star

I agree with what @martswain  has said. If you want any further help with this, including using & analysis of the analyser results, plus making recommendations to resolve the issue, then let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Conversation Starter
Thank you both, the new router is about 3ft off the floor, about 2ft from TV and sky q box.

I put the old hub back as a test and much better signal in kitchen.

I installed an analysis app on my android phone, I'll try and post data up.

Thanks again.
Philosopher
Suggest you check which channel your old router is using when you have a good signal in the kitchen and change the channel on the new one to match.
Martin
Conversation Starter

Screenshot_20190224-163029.jpg

This is me sat in the living room with the hub directly infornt of me about 4 ft away. I'm assuming the bthub is my neighbour. His loving room would be directly behind my hub. Cheers

Community Star

Based on that, switch to channel 11.

Conversation Starter

Hi, ill try andget theodl router back up later.

here is a screenshot off the NEW router .....

Capture.PNG

Conversation Starter

cheers, ive changed 2.4 to ch11 & 5 to 48.

Conversation Starter

🙂 daughter screamed from kitchen lost internet (her tablet), put channel 11 on 2.4 back to auto.

Community Star

There should be no reason why 11 caused you a problem, but maybe try channel 6. I assume your network is the hidden one?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?