Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

More faults with Talktalk but chat support not great

34 REPLIES 34
Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Hi, sometime ago I reported that my wireless kept dropping since getting the Huwai router and it was replaced for another one.

Unfortunately the service has been just as bad with constant drop out and now my internet speed tests are showing the speed has dropped from the original 56-59 mbs connection to 41 mbs. (Not sure what I have been paying for fibre large for.

Any way I opened chat with Technical support who ran some tests and couldn't find a fault, RalphGerard then said that he was doing manual testing and the system was reported that my services were not connected even though I was using my net to chat to him. This showed there was definite fault. He asked me to turn off my router for 30 mins so they could send new DNS settings to the router and to come back to chat to carry one with the support session.  I did just that and after 30 mins the connection initiated and touch wood has seemed a bit more stable. However I ended up with a different person chat who seemed oblivious to my original support session so had to start going through it all again only this time the rep wanted to charge me for a engineer call out and to send the new type router.

I am sorry but despite all the trouble I have had I have stuck with talktalk as a loyal customers despite not even getting any deals to renew my contracts. If there is a fault with the service YOU need to pay for it to be fixed and/or replace the equipment (which I believe the Huwai routers to be faulty and inadequate for todays fibre connections).

Since the router was turned off and updated it seems a bit more stable but still doesn't address why my connection speed has lowered from a constant 56 - 59 mbs to 41. Thats a big drop!.

Also, and more importantly the only offer I have to renew which is due is pretty much what I have already minus the connection fee and router hub fee.

If my renewal offer contains one of the those new router hubs for free, why was your rep admanent about me having to pay to replace this faulty one ?

Someone really needs to comeback to me with a good resolution as I cannot keep renewing my contract without seeing any benefit, especially being a loyal customer for 8+ years.

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

I should probably just add that the router hub I currently have is my second HG633.

Both of the ones I have had have been absolutely rediculous with service drop outs from day 1. The first rep I spoke to earlier say it kept telling the system my services were offline!

Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

I'm sorry to hear you're unhappy with your service.

I've run a line test, it hasn't picked up any issues. Your router is in sync at 45.9Mbps and although I can see there were a couple of disconnections yesterday your connection had previously been stable since the 10th

Do you experience the dropping wifi connection on devices close to the router? Does the stability of the wifi connection seem to depend on how far the device is from the router?

Chris

Tez2012
Wizz Kid
Hi Chris the connection drops happen on all connected devices to wireless which are all with in 3 metres of the router. The mobiles drop even if you are stood next to router. The devices are all facing the router too.

Since the support op told me last night to switch off for 30 mins so they could send new settings to router I haven't had a drop yet on my PC but cannot yet verify for the other devices.

However that brings us back to the other point of speed. When we first got Fibre large we had no issues with speed and it was always 56-59 mbs. Why such a drop

I have just run multiple speed tests on the wired pc and this pc connected wireless and the speed is 38 mbs on Speedtest.net and on talktalk speed checker That is a 20 mb drop and is below the advertised Fibre Large speed that I have been paying an additional £15 a month for.

Why have I gone from a stable 56-59 mbs connection to 38 mbs ?
Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

Thanks for the update. If the connection now remains stable then DLM may increase the sync speed. Does your master socket have a test socket? Is the voice service also ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Unfortunately since my last post I have had frequent disconnects. I was talking with live chat support and twice my session was ended due "DNS error - No internet". Already today it has disconnected me including when logging on here.

I can confirm there is no noise on the line. Not that I can tell anyway. Chat support said it would cost £65 for an engineer to come out and resolve.

The only possibile issues are either, the Huwai 633 routers are all faulty, the 20 yr old phone line outside may need replacing or the wiring from the entry point to the master socket as well as the master socket itself need replacing.

Again, the only fault support are able to confirm is "the talktalk system telling them my services are offline". I had the first 633 router replaced for the same reason. Before I renew my contract this needs to be resolved, especailly the speed issue which has seen my speed go from stable 59mb connection to 38mb unstable which is now below the lowest "Fibre large expected speed".

thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid
Just to clarify I would a engineer booked ASAP. I am aware it will cost £65 and will be added to my next bill. Please let me know a date so I book the day off work. Thanks
Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

I'm sorry to hear this. As the line test hasn't detected a fault would you like to try a 3782 router first before arranging an engineer visit?

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Hi I went ahead and re-newed my contract to get the new router. Definitely need to try the new one because I have now connected my PC back to wired via ethernet and the connection is still dropping.

Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares with the new router.

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle we received the router today. First indications is that the connection seem much stable.

Even video quality and buffering has improved drastically. Until I set this router up HD would take a minute or so for the quality adjust now its perfect quality instantly at 4K which proves the connection is good.

Touch wood this coninutes. However it still leaves us with one issue. I am paying for Fibre Large which myaccount still estimates at 46 - 59 mbs. As previously said until these issues arose I was on a stable connection with 59mb top speed. I still appear to "capped" at around 38-40 mb.

This must be related to the talktalk network itself. You can't just loose 18mb like this.

Tez2012
Wizz Kid
Apologies I should have stated that I haven't tried the wireless stability yet but wired quality has definitely improved a fair margin. Need to look at what is capping my speed no matter whether ethernet or Wifi connection 40 mb cap is not acceptable to me after years of having 59 mb with talktalk. Thanks
Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

Thanks for the update. It can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to start making changes to the sync speed if the connection remains stable. Could you bump your thread tomorrow and we can re-check the connection stats to see if DLM has made any changes to the speed.

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid
No the speed is still 38 - 40 MBS it is capped. Not only that I have still had drop outs and now my internet is totally down. I'm stuck without it. What the is up. Everyone is reporting the same *@#][!![]'#[@#]!*!. You are in breach of the contract for failing to provide the service i am paying for....
Community Team

Hi Tez2012 

Is the router currently switched on and connected at the test socket?

I can then raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Tez2012
Wizz Kid
Hi yes it's switched on. The phone is working but not the tv or internet. It went down at 6pm last night.
Community Team

Hi Tez2012 

Thanks for your reply.

I've contacted our Network Team in regards to this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Hi Debbie, I did a check on the master socket which the router is connected too and found that of all things, the dog had secretly bit the cable in half connecting router to socket.

I have replaced that and now its back but still my speed is definitely being capped at 40mb down from the original 59mb I was getting. The line is still pretty much stable via wired.

I am not being funny but the speed loss needs fixing because I am paying for 44-69 mb fibre large and I know for definite my location has had stable top speed of 59mb. I need answers. I will not tollerate having my package downgraded because you can no longer supply me fibre large speeds. Next step will have to be compensation and termination of contract for breach of contract on talktalks part and a switch to BT.

I honest do not want to switch but I have had too many issues and to find my BB speed capped below my package speed is enough to make anyone angry.

Community Team

Hi Tez2012 

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Your line is showing in sync at 43.5mb. Please can you leave the router switched on for at least 48hrs without rebooting so we can see if DLM starts to increase the sync speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Just run a speed test at both speedtest.net and talktalk speed test and both capped at 41. so yes still varying 38-41.

18mb slower that when we first updgraded to fibre large.Next step would be to have our master socket rewired and replaced. I will do that myself the first time just to see if the actual phone line from entry point to mastersocket has degraded.

I already have the latest Open Reach master socket / faceplate and latest genuine openreach 1sTec cable, I will post after rewire with speed tests. Thanks