cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

More faults with Talktalk but chat support not great

Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

Just to advise, the replacement of the master socket would need to be completed by a BTOR engineer as the main master socket is classed as BTOR property. Is there any reason why you think that this needs replacing?

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid
This is getting absolutely shocking. I received the newest router and Wifi drop outs still occur. My speed has also now dropped further to 38mbs.

Having just spent the last hour going over everything with a support agent she told me my package only allows up 39 mbs. However when I explained that I was paying for Fibre Speed Boost up to 67 mbs she quickly ended the chat saying to leave it for 24hrs to get back.

She suggested I speak to someone about billing because she could not verify which service I was actually getting. There are 2 major issues here. Either I am getting the wrong package or you are charging me for a service you cannot give me. Which is it.

And also can someone please explain how I started off on 59mbs a few years ago to 38 max now ?

This is not a case of usual degredation of service over time due to old cables. I am clearly been capped. But is by Talktalk or BT.
Tez2012
Wizz Kid

I am very annoyed. The fact that the connection keeps dropping out let alone the speed drop shows there is an issue.

I used to be able to watch 1080p and 4k videos with no issues but the connection (wired) just drops randomly like the wifi did.

My phone line is well over 30 year old and the neighbour has managed to get a Sky TV cable wrapped around it. The plate where the external line and internal line is also 30+ yrs old and the wires are tatty only aluminium cable.

Can you please atleast arrange for my phone line and connector plate to be replaced to see if they helps with my issues ? I had years with talktalk where issues were minimal, and for a year after we got FTTC things were good but the last year has been a nightmare.

If we can rule out the line and connection point being worn or corroded by replacing it It would be a huge help. I have tried for a year to get something sorted so it needs doing once and for all.

I cannot continue to pay for Faster Fibre if I am only getting the Unlimited up to 39mbs speed.

Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault. Please can you confirm if you're experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line or no dial tone and I'll pass this straight over for further investigation for you?

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Michele all 20 times i have raised this issues they rep tells me there is a potential issue, runs all the tests and then just says to "monitor it for 24 hrs". 

There is no noise etc on the line. I have also just fitted the new Master Socket 5c MK4, relocated closer to the entry point and used the latest BT 1STec cable.

The speed is still 38mbs. However, on the speed tests the graph is now very smooth and solid at 38mbs with no spiking. 

This is why I believe the phone line needs replacing because it well over 30yrs old and probably corroded. Same with the entry point connectors. The wiring is terrible.

This is nothing to do with reaching max available on line due to location/distances because I was getting up to 58 mbs when I first got the FTTC talktalk broadband and did so for atleast a year or so.

Thanks for assisting me

Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

Thanks for letting me know. I've passed this over to our Network Team now and I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've received an update to advise that the fault has been passed to Openreach for further investigation. Could you bump your thread on Thursday and we can re-check for any additional updates for you.

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Morning Michelle 

An open reach engineer called me early this afternoon and turned up 10 mins later and has now left. He said his equipment picked up a fault on the external line so he has installed a new phone line.

This has dropped the Ping time from 19 ms to just 4ms so a big improvement their. He ran a number of further tests and it is showing the line to the master socket is giving a a max throughput of 69 mbs but that the router is receiving 49 mbs max. 

He is saying that despite the line sending 49mbs to the router, for some reason the talktalk router is sending out a capped 40 mbs when it should be putting out the max available of 49mbs.

I have to wait for 24hrs for the line to settle but he says that any good router should be giving us a connection speed of 49 mb so it could be the talktalks automated system which reduces the line speed to stabilise the connection is now keeping it at 40 mbs.

He said he will be putting all this on his job notes when he gets back to his van.

So to summarise, fault with line fixed with new line. Ping speed is vastly improved however as the engineer says the router is receiving a max of 49mbs but only giving out a max of 40.

Can you double check that the network is sending the correct settings to my router ? because one of the last reps said my package only allows for a max of 39mbs.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi

glad to hear that the Openreach engineer has identified an issue.

We are showing you on an 80mb Qos setting here so this is correct.  The profile may have lowered due t the line issue but now that openreach have cleared the fault we would expect this to increase over the next 48hrs.  If this does not then we would raise to openreach requesting this is reset.

Thanks

Karl. 

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Hi Michelle the Engineer came back to run more tests. He said there was definitely fault with the line which was fixed with the new line but having done more tests he has said the router is faulty.

When he plugs his kit into the socket now he is getting 54mbs but as soon as he plugs the router back in it drops to 40mbs.

He tried a reset on router and also disconnected everything from it and it still only puts out 40mbs. His test kit is highly accurate and have restested again, as soon as he plugs the router in it drops from 54mbs to 40mbs.

Fixing the line fault has allowed the engineer to identify a faulty router, please can you send us a replacement ? Seems like Talktalk routers are seriously problematic.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Tez2012,

Thank you for the update. I've re-checked the connection stats and it looks like DLM has started to increase the sync speed. Have you noticed any increase since the engineer visit? If the connection continues to remain stable then DLM should also continue to increase the sync speed.

Thanks

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Still stuck at 40 mbs I will check another after another 24hrs but as stated the engineer already confirmed the line speed at 54mbs but the router is only putting out 40 mbs.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi Tez2012

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Tez2012
Wizz Kid

Yes please Debbie. Speed still at 40mbs.

Can you please send me a bag etc to return the current one ? Thanks

Community Team

Hi Tez2012

The replacement router and returns bag are on the way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie