would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Moved house across the road and speeds are WAY down

26 REPLIES 26
Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

Hi.

I recently moved 500 yards across the road to a property which should be closer to the exchange.

At our old property we used to get pretty regular speeds of 33mb/s with talktalk and sometimes even hitting 42mb/s.

Although our line only became active at around 1am this morning, logging onto my router i can see the max rate (kbps) down is set to 26417kbps which is ALOT lower than before. 

Since we've been guaranteed a minimum speed of 25mb and that you'll never get the maximum down speed, we will be nearly constantly be under minimum speed. 

I've tried speedtest using wifi and ethernet into the master socket, using the new huawei HG633 on version H1.01 and my other router which is a TP Link VR900 and the highest speed i've seen is 21mb, however i'm mostly stuck at 18mb.

I know the line is "settling in" as such but my max download rate that's been set is not very good at all. Will this increase in time or is there anything TalkTalk can do?

Talktalk and other ISP's all give minimum 25mb guarantee but i should regularly be getting 31mb-39mb according to TT.

Here's the connection settings from my router.

Upstream Downstream

Current Rate (kbps)589220894
Max Rate (kbps)592126417
SNR Margin (dB)6.16.1
Line Attenuation (dB)44.217.4
Errors (pkts)20

Thanks for any help in advance.

ferguson
Community Star

First of all distance from the exchange is immaterial for a Fibre connection, it is distance to the cabinet that affects speed and it does seem as if you have moved further away in that respect. If your sync speed is less than the guaranteed minimum though this does warrant investigation and I have flagged this up to the support team for you accordingly. Make sure that your personal details including TalkTalk landline number are complete on your community profile here so that they can link your forum identity with your account and then wait for them to respond.

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I meant the cabinet, sorry not the exchange. 

I should be closer to the exchange as at one point, this property was able to receive BT 76mb and my old property couldn't.

Sync speed is a hair above minimum speed but I understand that the speed you get synced to is a best case scenario and rarely obtainable which would put us under minimum speed.

Profile is up to date and look forward to getting this resolved.

Thank you 😊

ferguson
Community Star

No problem.

ferguson
Community Star

Just one more thing that has occurred to me: is the landline working OK with no noticeable noise?

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

Just tried it, its working fine.

Took some digging to find the phone cable, its been years since i've used it haha.

Community Team

Hi Jacksonuk88,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see quite a few re-connections on the line. Is the connection unstable or are you rebooting/switching off the router?

Thanks

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

Morning Michelle.

I did try both routers a couple of times yesterday afternoon so maybe 4 restarts but that's it. Line has been very stable, no drops or anything that I've noticed. We've got a lot of smart home stuff so we tend to notice if/when the internet has a wobble.

Community Team

Hi Jacksonuk88,

Thanks for confirming this. How long was the alternative router connected for as it can take up to 48hrs for DLM to make changes to the speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

I've left the alternative router plugged in now since around 5pm yesterday. So will my max rate increase if the line remains stable I take it?

Community Team

Hi Jacksonuk88,

Thanks for confirming this. Would it be possible to bump your thread today and we can re-check the connection stats again to see how both the stability and speed compares with this router connected?

Thanks

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster
Yeah that's fine. I'll bump this at 5-6pm tonight.

If my line stays stable will I get faster speeds then as at the minute I'm about 3-4mb below the guaranteed minimum?

Thanks again.
Community Team

Hi

If the line remains stable with no issues, DLM may increase.  We can check later when you bump the thread. 

Karl.

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster
Bumping thread as per request. Partner reckons it's been fine all day. Still welded to 18-20mb.

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

Any update? I forgot to say, I'm paying for speed boost aswell.

Community Team

Hi Jacksonuk88,

Thanks for bumping your thread. I've re-checked the connection stats and there has been no increase as yet. Does the master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

I'm assuming I'll have to take the face plate off? If that's the case I'll have a look when I get home at around 4pm today.

If there is should I plug the router into it and leave it for you guys to monitor? Really hoping I can get at least the minimum guaranteed speed.

Community Team

Hi Jacksonuk88

Yes please if the socket has a removable face plate. Please can you connect the router, phone and filter at the test socket for at least 48hrs (without rebooting the router)

We can then check the connection stats again to see if DLM has increased the speed in this set up.

Thanks

Debbie

Jacksonuk88
Popular Poster

Ok will do. 

I'll post when I get back and it's all done.

Thank you.

Community Team