Did you mean: 
Need help?

My FTTC is down 15Mb after Openreach did some work outside our house today

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi OCEs,

Please can you investigate my line.

Openreach were right ouside our drive today. They told me they were replacing some wires to the telegraph pole near to our front wall. Sounded like they were doing some proactive maintenance so I thought nothing of it. 

My wife was working at home today and did say the broadband did blip when she was working, but since they have done this work outside I have noticed our broadband has gone down from 65Mb to 51Mb.

This isnt really what I was expecting. I thought it would be better, or the same at the very least.

Livechat on your support site should still be open but its currently got an outage, so I thought I'd post on here. 

Wi-Fi Hub is on firmware: SG4K10002600t

Stats are: 

StatusConnection TimeLink StatusStandardLine EncodingLink Encapsulation

UP
00h17m41s
UP
VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
DMT
ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

DownstreamUpstream

I dont have a capture of the stats before, but Max Rate was around 75Mb, with Actual rate being 65Mb. 

I'd appreciate an investigation. Maybe you could get Openreach back to the street tomorrow to undo what they did or at least perform some proper tests and diagnostics. I really cant believe the old copper wires performed better, could they?

Thanks, Steve 

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

Just a quick thought (if I may), do you have a landline phone connected to the line? If so, does the dial tone work and, if you dial 17070, is the right number read back ("This circuit is defined as <what should be your STD code and number>."?

That sort of thing happened to me some 10 or so years back (before I joined TalkTalk) after BT replaced the connection housing on the telegraph pole. I lost the phone (no dial tone) and my then-ADSL speed dropped from 8Mb/s to 5Mb/s. Turned out the first BT man had put one of the wires into the wrong connector! 😆

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks Sidious

Just to be sure, I have checked it read back my telephone number (phew!).

My mother-in-law had the problem you mentioned about 2 years ago. She lives in a flat, and got one of the neighbours lines for a few days after Openreach had been in the street below. Took a while for us to realise though - a good few wasted hours !

I've decided to turn off the router and I'm hoping a DLM reset might help. Its been off for about 30mins, but will probably leave off for another 30mins just to be sure.

Clutching at straws a bit, but thats the only other thing I could think of. 

Regards, Steve

Highlighted
Super Duper Contributor

I know it's not funny, but sometimes BT incompetence makes me laugh! 😎

Hope you get the internet speed back up soon.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi StephenB

I'm really sorry to hear this.

The line tests have not detected any faults but I can see a really high number of re connections on the line which will affect the speed.

Is the connection dropping or has the router been rebooted?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi @OCE_Debbie 

I was trying different routers last night - so thats probably the large amount of reconnections. I tried the Wi-Fi hub, the HG635 that I have from several years ago, and also my TP-Link TD-W9980.

I suppose the line could not have any errors, but what they have done has reduced the speed.

Can you find out from BTOR what they did and why ? Everything was fine before they did whatever they did. 

Thanks, Steve

Highlighted

Hi Steve

We wouldn't have the engineers notes as this work was not arranged by us. Apologies for this.

Would it be possible to leave the router switched on without rebooting for 48hrs to see if DLM starts to increase the speed?

If the speed doesn't increase and the line tests are still clear then this may require an engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Also worth saying that I did managed to speak to someone in Tech Support last night.

They did a test and said because my speed was above 40Mbps, it was within acceptable tolerances. 

Not the best thing to hear, especially when I was paying for the upper end package, so hence my aim is to get it back up to where it was before they did something with the street wiring.  

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Will do Debbie. I will leave it as it is now. 

Thanks. 

Highlighted

Hi Steve

If you post back on this thread on Friday then we can check the connection stats/speed again.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Struggling to reply. A bot or someone called Anonymous keeps blocking my reply.

I will attempt in two parts.....

Below are the stats. In the end, I've shown from 4 different devices because the Wi-Fi Hub is the poorest. The router I've been using for the last 6 months or so is my old TP-Link TD-W9980, and that still performs best, but its not able to get back up to 65Mbps since the BTOR work outside. It has at least settled at 60Mbps. The F@ST Hub is nearly 10Mbps less.

Worth saying the TP-Link router has a Lantiq (Infineon) chipset which is the same manufacter as my ECI Infineon cabinet. I think the other devices are Broadcom based. 

I will never know what BTOR did outside the house. Whatever they did has made it worse, but at least I've got some of the speed back.

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

(1) TalkTalk F@ST Wi-Fi Hub

Line Mode G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Annex B
Data Rate (down) 51.161
Data Rate (up) 20.000
Max Data Rate (down) 58.368
Max Data Rate (up) 20.000
Line Attenuation (down) 17.6 dB
Line Attenuation (up) 0 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Down 6.3 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Up 7.0 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Down) 4.6 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Up) 4.5 dB

(2) TalkTalk HG635

Line Mode VDSL
Annex
Data Rate (down) 55.091
Data Rate (up) 20.000
Max Data Rate (down) 66.023
Max Data Rate (up) 25.561
Line Attenuation (down) 0 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Down 6.3 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Up 9.4 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Down) 6.3 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Up) 6.3 dB

(3) BT Openreach HG612

Line Mode VDSL2
Annex
Data Rate (down) 54.729
Data Rate (up) 20.000
Max Data Rate (down) 63.372
Max Data Rate (up) 25.064
Line Attenuation (down) 16.5 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Down 6.2 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Up 9.3 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Down) 6.8 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Up) 6.8 dB

(4) TP-Link TD-W9980

Line State Showtime_tc_sync 0x801
Line Mode G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Annex B
Profile 17a
Data Rate (down) 59.999
Data Rate (up) 20.000
Max Data Rate (down) 70.438
Max Data Rate (up) 24.950
Line Attenuation (down) 16.4 dB
Line Attenuation (up) 18.3 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Down 4.6 dB
Noise Margin (SNR) Up 9.2 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Down) 6.6 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power (Up) 6.8 dB
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Infineon 178.6

Highlighted

Hi StephenB,

Thanks for the information 

I've been checking your line history and your speed actually initially dropped a couple of days before your first post, DLM moved you to a 60Mbps banded profile at 3am on the 13th, the profile hasn't changed since but the speed did drop further on the 15th (but this wasn't due to any change of profile by DLM)

As you say, your speed is now back up to 60Mbps which is the maximum that your current profile will allow. If your connection remains stable with a low error count, DLM should move you to a faster profile.

Chris

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Thanks Chris.

Not sure why its down at 48Mbps now. Wild variation. I will keep an eye on it and will involve tech support if it gets worse (i.e. below guaranteed miniumum).

Anyway, thanks for explaining the DLM change.

I still think BTOR have done something. I've just restarted the router (my TP-Link) to try to improve the speed but its not shifting above 48Mbps tonight. I have never had such a variation on VDSL speed like this in the 6 or so years I've had FTTC. 

Thanks for your help anyway. Steve 

Line State:UP [0x0]
Line Mode:G.993.2 (VDSL2)
Line Uptime:5m 26s
Annex:B
Profile:17a
Data Rate:48.021 Mb/s / 19.993 Mb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR):63.222 Mb/s / 21.570 Mb/s
Latency:9.0 ms / 8.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN):16.2 dB / 18.3 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN):16.3 dB / 18.2 dB
Noise Margin (SNR):6.1 dB / 6.3 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP):6.2 dB / 6.4 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS):169 / 1075976
Errored seconds (ES):0 / 24860
Severely Errored Seconds (SES):0 / 0
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS):0 / 1562
Unavailable Seconds (UAS):34 / 34
Header Error Code Errors (HEC):0 / 0
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P):0 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P):0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID:Infineon 178.6
Power Management Mode:L0 - Synchronized

Highlighted

Hi StephenB,

I've re-run the line test which is still clear, however I can see quite a few re-connections on the line. Just to confirm, has your connection been unstable or have you been rebooting/switching off the router?

Thanks

Highlighted
Wizz Kid

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

Its not unstable, but I've been trying different routers and config settings to try to get the speed back. So far, its my TP-Link router with Openwrt that is performing best out of all of them, but the speed is slowly being moved down by BTOR.

As mentioned in the first post, it used to be 65Mbps until recently. Its now getting close to the Min speed that TalkTalk promised. 

Regards, Steve

Highlighted

Hi Steve,

Ok thanks for confirming this. How long has the alternative router been connected for as it can take between 24-48hrs for DLM to make improvements to the sync speed if the connection remains stable?

Thanks