Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My Fibre Live Date Maybe Being Delayed

14 REPLIES 14
tasmint4
Participant

I have just upgraded to Talk Talk Faster Fibre and my live date due on 12th March! However I have just received a e mail telling me that it may be delayed but no reason given.Could a member of the Talk Talk team on this forum tell me why it has been delayed? I assume  it if it is delayed I will still have use of my previous Talk Talk  ordinary non fibre broadband?

Tasmint4 no skills ! Stuck in 20th century! Looking for patient kind help to improve my internet package and pc knowledge!
Community Team

Hi @tasmint4

I will look into this for you and get back to you. 

Regards

tasmint4
Participant

Thanks! I am supposed to be getting a phone call this evening about it but as I am a little hard of hearing I ofen have problems and misunderstanings on the phone with the call centre it  would be so much easier and less stresssful if you can  tell me what has happenend in forum~ Thanks again! Look forward to hearing from you!

Tasmint4 no skills ! Stuck in 20th century! Looking for patient kind help to improve my internet package and pc knowledge!
tasmint4
Participant

I have just recieved a phone call ffrom Talh Talh customer services and a am not very happy.The customer sercices  person  just told me that I would have a delay and that i would be contacted on the 14th March.I should have had access to fibre swevice on 12 th March! I asked her the reason for delay and to my annoyance she refused to tell me the reason .As I had trouble understandinng her on the phone I asked her to e mail  me the reason but ro my amazement she just e mailed me ro tell me that someone would contact me on the phone on 14th March.I already understood that! Allt I wanted a full explanation as ro why there was a delay.My request is being ignored.So please could a Talk Tallk team member give me a full explamation as to why there is a delay?

Community Team

Hi @tasmint4

I have asked for an explanation for you and this is the answer given, 

"openreach advised that the order is with the Network Records as the routing needs to be updated
 the estimated completion date for the activity is the 08/03/2019. We will review order on that day to see if there are no delays." 

So Openreach need to update their system, once that is done, hopefully on time, the order should progress as normal on the 12th, so the possible delay is with Openreach sorting their system out. 

Hope that helps. 

tasmint4
Participant

Thanks for explaining delay so at least I know why there is a hold up!,I note that my live date has now been changed to the 19th March but I am happy as at least I have had some proper explanation now.

However I just have a couple more worries Firstly I understanf that I should be sent a new hub to set up new fibre but I have not received it yet!So wonder if it has been despatched yet? As i though i was supposed to recieve hub by 12th March? Also as I am a little worried about setting up fibre by myself as unfortunatly now the  date for going live been put back to 19th my dad who was going to  help me as he was going to visit me on 12th March will not be around to help me on tthe later live  date I willl need to wait another couple of weeks for his next visit which will be another few weeks beggining of April probably!,So will  I be able to acess my old broadband for a few weeks after I go live?until l I got help to install fibre as I am absolutly terrified of doing it all on my own?

martswain
Philosopher

What make and model of router do you currently have ?

Recent TT Super Routers are compatible with normal broadband and fibre.

New Hubs are normally sent a couple of days before the live date.

Once the switch to fibre is completed, the old service is no longer available, so if your current router is not compatible you will have to install the Hub.

Martin
tasmint4
Participant

This is getting very confusing and I keep being told different  things! This present one I got  is a very up to date Talk Talk router which was sent to me free by Talk Talk last year as they wanted eveyone to to enjoy a better internet experience as they noted I was on a very  old router provided by aol about 15 or more years ago! but when I enquired about switching to Fibre  i was told I would need and be sent a new rBT hub! When doing an online chat some advisers thought the present one was the right one but others did not So now it all getting confusing as last person I spoke to seemed to think I needed a new BT hub!It is diffcult to take router of shelf to look at it as the plugged in wire has a protective plastic tray nbailed in front of it and i am scard of disrupting something if I move it off shelf,All I can say is It just has the logo Talk Talk on front of it and is one sent out to me just before Christmas,Could one of the team look up my records and confirm whether this router ok for my new fibre package! If it is i would imagine the  set up would be very simple with me just locating the new fibre network on my pc when it goes live! but need definite confirmation this right router!So please could a Talk Talk person look on my records to see if this last router/hub  sent last year is compatible with Fibre !I would be so gratful!

Community Team

Hi tasmint4

The current router that you have is Fibre Enabled, and I can see that a new WIFI hub is included as part of your order, so you can replace the current one with that when it arrives.  Sadly looks like the order is is still in delay, with the current date set as 19th. 

Regards

tasmint4
Participant

Hi Thanks for help.I accept now that I am going live fibre on 19th March  now but getting a little nervous as I still not received the new hub yet and only got  two postal days ie today Sat 16th March  and Mon 18th March before I go live sometime on Tue 19th March! However if the present router  I got is fibre enabled which you seem to  think it is, If  I do not get new hub  by live date surely it would be ok to try and acess my fnew fibre service from my present  old router plugged in now as you sent me it fairly recently in Autumn last year 2018??Or is very important that I have to use new one being sent me? I Also  ! Just wondered what the difference is between my old router I using now and the new one on its way to me if they bothe fibre enabled?If one of the Talk Talk team  could get back to me on this.I would be gratful.

martswain
Philosopher

As @OCE_Arne  has confirmed your current router is fibre compatible, you can leave that in place and as long as the engineer does his job correctly all you will notice is a short break in service and then reconnection at the faster fibre speed.

Once you have established that fibre has gone live, make sure you check your phone is still working as normal, there have been a few occasions when it has not been reconnected properly during the changeover work.

As for the different models of router, the new Hub is supposed to have a better WiFi signal than the others.

If you decide to use the new Hub, you will have to connect ALL your WiFi devices to the new SSID (WiFi name) using the new WiFi password that comes with the Hub

Martin
tasmint4
Participant

That is great news! However my new hub was delivered this morning! As you say the new hub has a much better connection so worth trying to see if i can  set it up.However if I get very nervous about doing the change of hubs on live date i assume  there willl no problems about using my old hub for a few weeks until my dad able to come over! to help me sort out new hub! However the new  password and net work name will be the same for both Hubs I assume?So if I stay with old hub for a few weeks till i get help I assume  i will still need to put in the new password provided with new hub to all my devices that connect to internet?

tasmint4
Participant

Sorry! I just reread your post and see now that If i stay for a while with my old hub until I can have damily to help me  I can still receive fibre on it using old network name and old password? Have I understood that correct?

martswain
Philosopher

YES !

If all goes to plan you do not have to do anything with your current setup, it will work once the external switch to the fibre cabinet is completed.

If you change to the new Hub it will automatically connect to the fibre line, BUT the WiFi network and password will be different, so you'll have to reconnect to that new network name using the new password that comes with the Hub.

Anything using a LAN (yellow) cable such as a desktop can just be plugged in again to the new Hub.

Martin
tasmint4
Participant

Hi Thanks for answering my queries! You have set my mind at rest! As I was terrrified If I had any problems I would be without any internet for a very long time ! and would not being  able to accees Netflix  Kindle  tablet would make life  very miserable for me! So at the worse I may have to rely on old hub for a while and though I can get fibre on it ti may not be quite so fast or reliable as new hub! but  most important I  will be still connected to internet at very improved speeds but when new hub sorted sorted I will have a bettter signal and faster more reliable connnection.