Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

My dads fibre broadband still too slow

20 REPLIES 20
gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi just as title 3 months ago I was on here speaking to someone about faster broadband for my dad but I cannot locate the conversation on here so I have had to create a  New topic.

Anyway this guy was helpful and after I spoke to him I rang up talk talk to get faster broadband for my dad his previous broadband was standard and he was getting at least between 9 to 10 Meg.

Anyway after speaking to someone I got him on to fibre broadband and was told to expect up to 35 Meg so I waited for the change over and waited a few months for the change to bed in but yesterday I done a speed check and it was very disappointing the speed was between 13 Meg and 16 Meg but it was not stable first test was 13Meg 2ND test creaped up to 13 Meg third 16 Meg but fourth went back down to 13meg.

So this is not nearly enough of a jump from his original 9 to 10 Meg so where do I go from here because not happy with this result can I sort this out through online chat or do I need to phone up I would prefer online chat because sometimes it can be frustrating on the phone because of the language barrier because 1) you can't understand the operator and 2) they can't understand you either so not trying to be rude but what could be a simple conversation lasting 5 mins can turn into a ten to 15 min conversation and again not being rude but it is fact so would appreciate some help on what to do next thanks.

SG
Community Team

Hi gibbsy07

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you add the TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, I can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi thanks for the reply it's my dads land line so how do I do this how do I add this to my profile please thanks.

SG
Community Team

Hi gibbsy07,

Please can you update your forum profile to include your telephone number so that we can look into this further. To do this go into "my settings" then "personal information" then add your details.

Please do not post any personal information on the forum.

Thanks

gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi why do you need my phone number its my dads broadband not mine so he will have a different land line can I PM you so I can give you his phone number thanks.

SG
Community Team

Hi gibbsy07

Please can you add your Dads number to the Private Notes section of your Community Profile.

Thanks

Debbie

gibbsy07
Team Player

I wasn't sure where private notes was so hopefully this is the right place my dads land line is *REMOVED TELEPHONE NUMBER can you please check this out thanks.

SG
Community Team

Hi gibbsy07

I've removed the telephone number from your post, the Private Notes section is in your Community Profile at the bottom of the page.

Thanks

Debbie

gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi Debbie have you looked into my dads broadband problem yet because you haven't got back to me yet?

I should have also added as well when I upgraded my dads broadband I was told by the operator that he wouldn't need a new router which I thought was strange at the time but I agreed and just went with it but now I see on your website that you are bragging about your new award winning router but you didn't see fit to give this router to my dad instead you left him with a 3 year old maybe even older router and promised him up to more than twice the speed he was getting before.

The more I think about it how is this even possible with the old router he was left with, he just started this contract over three months ago so by rights he should have been given your award winning router but he wasn't and now it is angering me because my dad is a loyal customer and so am I and I don't think he has been treated fairly by talktalk in the slightest.

Obviously he can't pull out of the contract now but I myself have been considering leaving talktalk because some of the competition are gaining with good offers and this is not a threat I'm just stating that I am always going to be trying to save money if possible.

Lastly Debbie I sent you a PM and you haven't acknowledged that you got it so can you please get back to me as soon as, to get this sorted thanks.

SG
martswain
Philosopher

Nobody routinely gets a new router when upgrading to fibre unless their previous router is not compatible.

The HG635 or HG633 router that your father is likely to have, works on normal (ADSL) and fibre and is perfectly capable of handling the fibre speeds that TT offer.

Martin
gibbsy07
Team Player

So why offer a shiny new router if it's not necessary then?

Could it have hurt to give him one know and is the router coping, doesn't look that way does it 14.5 Meg dropping to 11.5 sometimes did you read all my posts?

SG
martswain
Philosopher

Yes, I have read the whole thread.

What is the guaranteed minimum speed as advised in your father's "MY ACCOUNT"

What are the Downstream Line Rate and Maximum Downstream Line Rate as reported by the router statistics ?

Have you input the phone number into a broadband speed checker site and what are the estimates for the line ?

Martin
gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi yes I done the test via the talktalk site I had a look at his account and I can't see any garanteed speed mentioned I just see that the average speeds talktalk say you could have is 35Meg I never checked all the other stuff you said mate I done a speed test got poor results and tested at least 5 times that should be enough cheers.

SG
martswain
Philosopher

Go to My Package - TV, Broadband and Calls , scroll down to Package Details - Broadband

There will be a blue link "Tell me more about my speed" click on that and you will get your line estimates in a pop-up.

The 35Mbps speed is the generic answer to what TT can provide on average, as required by the new regulations.

What the line can provide is determined mainly by the distance from the property to the green fibre cabinet, not the distance to the exchange.

Try using the BT checker to see what the line can support.

Martin
gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi this is straight from my dads account.

Minimum guaranteed download speed: 
34.2Mb

Download speed range: 
38.1Mb - 39.1Mb

Upload speed range: 
9.8Mb - 9.8Mb

He's know where near it cheers.

SG
gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi philosopher I done the check you said but you never got back to me?

SG
gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi Debbie are you there?

SG
gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi Debbie again no reply can you please let me know you are looking into this Eg diagnostic checks speed checks nothing so far just let me know because I am wasting my time here with e mails back and forth so if you can't help I would rather you told me so I can phone talktalk myself and try and get this sorted.asap.

SG
Community Team

Hi gibbsy07,

Line test is clear, sync speed is 39.2Mbps and connection looks stable (no disconnections for the last 7 days)

Are you/your dad, running the speed tests on a device connected to the router by Ethernet cable or wifi?

Chris

gibbsy07
Team Player

Hi yes  cable straight into Ethernet so now are you going to blame the bt line 

SG