cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Need to get connected to new fibre cables - currently running on very old fibre cables

6 REPLIES 6
Participant

I was on the phone for literally just over three hours on the phone last time trying to get through to the right person. I have just spent another 2 hours on webchat getting nowhere. Here is my situation. I have been a talktalk customer for many many years and never had a problem, with brilliant customer service and prices to match, so recommended you to my mother and father in law as well as other family members, all of whom did move over to talktalk.

Here is our problem: my mother and father in law, who are elderly, are having huge troubles trying to get decent speeds. They live in a remote area on a farm and are paying for your 36MB service, joined end of June 2019, but are constantly only getting 4 to 5MB. They are currently using very old fibre/copper wires which have been there for years. Due to being a very remote region, as part of their national roll out scheme BT have installed new fibre lines/wires installed by Open Reach over a year ago, to their property and all their neighbours, which Talktalk are unable to see for some reason despite it being over a year ago. There is a BT Openreach box on the outside of their house and Openreach who installed them at the time specifically said all that needed doing was to get your current provider, TalkTalk to arrange to send out an engineer to connect a cable from the inside of the house to the outside of the house to where this box is situated, about three feet length. I have spent literally hours and hours on the phone with TalkTalk trying to help my mother in law. It was the whole reason I got them moved over to talktalk, because I explained the whole situation about being on old not-fit-for-purpose fibre wires, to the friendly person in talktalk who said they understood me and that as soon as it was possibly my mother in law would be moved over to the new fibre wires.

I feel bad for recommending you now after all the trouble I have caused for recommending talktalk to them. My mother in law is becoming very ill through all this stress. An engineer was sent out by you back on August 13th but he said he was not qualified to connect a cable to the new fibre lines but did admit he could see what needed doing and that TalkTalk would will in touch with my mother in law to get this sorted out so another second qualified engineer could visit at no cost to get moved over to the new fibre wires. TalkTalk never did get back in touch. My mother in law therefore rang them up again and TalkTalk said they would send out an engineer in the next three days. My mother in law waited in the house for three days but no engineer showed up and no phone calls or communication.  To top it off, a neighbour who runs of the SAME cabinet, with the new fibre wires, who is with BT provider, has been connected on to the new fibre lines yet my mother in law on TalkTalk hasn't yet.

Each time I phone up or chat on the web chat I keep being passed through technical support where I have to repeat the whole story again and again (you need a CRM to store your customer notes) and go round in circles explaining what is required. They keep running the same line checks and fault checks and then at the end keep telling me there is no fault and that I will have to pay for an engineer visit. Of course there is no fault. It is running fine other than the fact it is running at 4 to 5MB when my mother in law is paying for up to 36mb. She is getting less than six times less than the advertised speed. She is getting awful speed and the solution is right there in front of you: new fibre wires ready to be connected. We just need an engineer to come and connect it.  I don't mind paying £40 for my mother in law if I know they are going to come and do the work to get it fixed but I don't get any answer which fills me with confidence, especially after the last engineer visit where I was told he would come and sort this all out for my mother in law and he turned up and said he couldn't do it. Luckily there was no charge with that. We just need this fixed please for my mother and father in law! Sorry for the rant. I and my mother and father in law are at our wits end. As you can imagine we have been waiting since end of June to get this resolved and have been getting nowhere, despite hours and hours literally, on the phone speaking to people in talktalk, repeating the same situation each time.  Thank you for reading this and for any help. 

Faster Fibre with Speed Boost customer
Highlighted
Philosopher

If it is really FIBRE TO THE PROPERTY, then TalkTalk DO NOT re-sell this service and you are being misled by Openreach.

Your only option would be FIBRE from BT at this time.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @matth76 

Martin is spot on with the answer for you.

On very long lines, even when connected to a distant fibre enabled street cabinet the broadband performance can be sub 10Mbps downstream speed.  Some people on all metallic lines don't even achieve the 4 - 5Mbps that your relatives see.

I have two bits of good news for you.

• TalkTalk are preparing to resell Openreach full fibre FTTP services
    There's just a bit of waiting for that to roll-out and it may not be to all FTTP enabled locations to start with
  • In March 2020 the Universal Service Obligation (USO) comes into play. This is government mandated and means everyone has a reasonable expectation of broadband that is at least a consistent 10Mbps. If a TalkTalk service is not up to that speed you can ask for that speed to be provided or to leave your contract penalty free.

In March 2020 given that TalkTalk will be reselling Openreach FTTP full fibre TalkTalk could either choose to connect your relatives to the full fibre service or let them leave penalty free for the designated USO provider, that happens to be BT, to offer them the full fibre connection.

Just ask TalkTalk in February next year for a decision on upgrading the contract or terminating the contract penalty free. 

You could always ask the question now via the Complaints process to the CEO office representatives to see if TalkTalk are willing to terminate the contract early without penalty on the basis that if the relatives contract with BT for full fibre now then in two years or less their initial BT contract will be up for renewal and TalkTalk might be offering much more attractive full fibre deals. 

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Participant

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it. In the future I wouldn't want my mother and father in laws to be forced to pay for full fibre to the premises prices due to their location being remote. Even though the full potential speed which can run on the line is very fast as it is FTTP (which is way  more than what an elderly couple require) can they not run much lower speeds on the line (eg. 36mb) so therefore pay much less per month as opposed to FTTP prices? Thanks again for your help. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi matth76 

Yes, a full fibre FTTP service offers the same entry-level 40Mbps product as FTTC.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
Participant

Thanks. 

Highlighted
Participant

Thank you so much for all your help everyone. I really appreciate it. My mother in law has finally sorted it all out. Literally as I was posting my question the other day here she was speaking to "BT sales" and they agreed to pay her out of her contract mid-way with Talktalk and to set her up on the new fibre cables. My mother in law has been with talktalk for over 5 months so the penalty was quite big but BT are paying it. They have just moved my mother in law over to the new fibre cables this morning. Took 5 minutes! It only required 1 metre of cabling. Easiest job he had ever done the engineer said.  I am not a fan of BT but in this case they have done a very good job. Although I can't quite fathom why BT didn't connect and make live the new fibre cables when they were installed a year ago because it would have avoided all of this hassle!

We had previously tried to ring BT on several occasions to resolve this but they were no help at all since we were not BT customers but I think we had previously got through to the wrong people. My mother in law rang their front end "sales" the other day and they were very helpful and completely understood the situation/predicament and is how we finally sorted out this mess. I hope this helps anyone else in a similar situation who lives in a rural location who has had new fibre cables installed but which have not been connected. Answer: ring BT "sales" team. Thank you again for all your help.