Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Neighbours are on Double the speed I am on

40 REPLIES 40
Highlighted
Team Player

Issues with my line have been going on now 10 days. Talking to Webchat agents is like walking through a swamp when you are in a hurry.

I have had Openreach engineers out twice already this year. In Feb and Jun and on both occasions I have been proven right in that there was a fault with the line and not my equipment. Would TT first line scripted support have any of it? No! I am now faced with a similar situation whereby my speeds are now down to around 21mbps from 58mbps in April 2017.

Over the past couple of years they have whittled down my speeds to the point where I now have had enough of it.  I am now taking my case to the Ombudsman and Ofcom. Failing to provide adequate support and failing to provide me with a stable service.I have supporting evidence from TT's speedchecker and a history of speedchecks from Ookla stretching back a number of years (see attached docx file with link). Not only are the speeds on the decline but also packets are being lost. Even from the Master socket direct connection into not one but three of TT's Super Routers and four Belkin Routers. All give the same result. Dropped packets when pinging sites such as TT, BT, Virgin. PING's to the router from my PC Via LAN connection, no loss. but as soon as you start going onto the internet, loss of connection for up to one minute giving time for links to online courses to be interrupted and having to log on again. 

What is wrong with you people at TT? I am a Certified Engineer myself with over 25 years experience in Server and PC technology. If I gave the same level of support to my clients as I am receiving from TT, i'd be sacked with no hesitation from the head of my section.

I have carried out all the testing there is within my home. Changing cables, routers etc to ensure there is no fault at my end. If the problem exists at the Master socket then there is obviously an issue either with the line or the actual connection point which by the way was changed in June of this year. The engineer when working on the line fault took it upon himself to swap out the old openreach connector with the new style clip on. I never asked him to replace old faithful as this junction box was working fine.

I am not asking but now demanding that someone from CEO department with senior status contacts me to arrange for an Openreach engineer to sort out my line issue. 

Eight years I have been with TT and the last couple of years have been woeful when it comes to customer support.

I have spoken to my neighbours who confirm that they are having no issues with the exchange and their line. They are recording high 40'smbps download speeds. See attached docx file with photos.

Start acting like a Professional organisation and get someone to sort this issue sorted.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Philosopher

There is no Ombudsman and OFCOM do not take on individual complaints.

You first have to exhaust the TT complaints procedure.

Then you can take your issue to CISAS/CEDR who deal with complaints from TT customers.

Martin
Highlighted
Team Player

Thanks Martin for the heads up.

I've just been on Ofcom's site and you are correct. There seems no way of dealing with this issue with them. It appears they are only "information only" even if it does say on their website "

"Complain about mobile, home phone or internet services"

Unbelievable! 

I am waiting on a call this morning from TalkTalk so hopefully, someone will pull their finger out and sort this out.

Looking on TalkTalk's purchase service page shows under Faster Fibre and Faster Fibre Speed Boost states "We guarantee you a minimum download speed of 29.8mb" This morning I am sitting at 19mb. My upload is 10mb. So who's in breach of the contract?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi andromeda

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your service

Your current sync speed is 45.8Mbps, and there seems to have been some improvement in throughput speeds today. How is your connection at the moment?

Chris

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Mine for instance.....

VDSL Range A (Clean)           80  76   20  19   70.5
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 74.6 20  19   68.1

So if you are on a B impacted line and your neighbour is on a clean A line back to the exchange ??????????

OpenReach then switch you onto the A  and provided there is capacity  et Voila.

I know nothing about BroadBand, but that does not stop me trying, and I am trying.
Highlighted
Team Player

Further to the line fault I had. The Openreach engineer visited this morning, spent around and hour and a half and found the fault. Swapped over the pairing outside of my home, replaced the Openreach socket and reset my line as it had automatically defaulted to 25mbps due to line fault.

Confirmed by the Engineer, no fault lay with any of my home equipment.

Big thank you to Adam from CEO Dept for getting an engineer out within 24hrs of contacting me.

Now to contact TT to get them to re-establish my Faster Fibre Speed Boost which they said my line was NOT capable of. Test shows the line can achieve 58mbps. 

TT Customers. Don't give in when you suspect TT / Openreach is at fault. Continue to challenge them and don't forget to ask them to compensate you in the way of at least a months free service if you have been experiencing outage for some time.

Couple of photos attached within .docx

Highlighted
Team Player
Thank you. The link is very useful and will help when I ask TT to reinstate the "Speed Boost" they removed when stating my line was not capable of such speeds.
Highlighted

Hi andromeda,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved, apologies for any inconvenience 

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player
Thank you Chris but could you remind Adam from the CEO Department to contact me regarding my issue If you have access to his number. I am expecting a call back between 12 and 2pm according to the text message I received this morning. I need to discuss my contract with him.
Regards
Highlighted

Hi andromeda,

How are you getting on, has Adam been in touch?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris.

So speeds are back to 41-42mbps at the master socket tested via laptop and LAN connection as of yesterday. Engineer repaired my line.

Another Engineer was appointed by Adam to come out again to see if my speeds can be improved. 

Second Engineer visited early this morning and ran tests.

Openreach equipment shows I am capable of 50mbs similar to what my neighbours are on.

Engineer states that as I am only getting low 40's, the problem may lay with my provider, TT. 

In the past I was attaining speeds of 58mbps when on the Faster Fibre - With Speed Boost. I took on my latest contract, a 24 month contract 17 months ago and was told that the Faster Fibre with speed boost will be taken off due to my line being unstable at the time of renewing my contract. I agreed to having this speed boost removed as I needed a stable connection.

Adam phoned me yesterday before booking the appointment for this morning and told me that Speed Boost is turned on on my account.

So on checking my services, I believe that Superboost is NOT active on my account as there is no way of me checking this. All links in the attached .docx file with photos show this. Under flexible options There is no way of me turning it off or on. This is irregular. Not allowing a customer to turn this feature on or off. If it is on, why am I not able to see this in my package?

Due to lower speeds being attained, I do not believe it is actually activated. They may say it is but the Openreach begs to differ. See last photo on the .docx file which shows the test on the Openreach equipment.

I would like someone to look at my account and sort out this issue with "superboost" feature.

Could you look at this Chris or direct someone to deal with it?

Highlighted
Community Star

The Speed Boost is active as shown in My Account. If it wasn't your speeds would be capped to 40Mbps at the router and throughput would be somewhat less. 

Highlighted
Team Player
Hey Ferguson. I have gone through my account with every link possible and there is No Speed Boost package showing.

If you click on this link to my shared results https://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=99149027beac021fa6409c3a7f5c4e72 and scroll down using the show more tab to December 2018 and before you will see a big difference in what I am getting today and what I was getting then. Some 16mbps less. In addition, my neighbours who are on Sky, BT and Virgin are on high 40's with no additional speedboost options being paid for. Standard line. Something isn't right here.
Highlighted
Community Star

It is on one of the pictures you posted in your doc link earlier:

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 14.28.56.png

Highlighted
Team Player
Yes I know this is there but like I explained, when you click on this embedded link "Manage Broadband Boosts" It takes me to "Supersafe" page which has absolutely nothing to do with speedboost.
It also doesn't show up in my billing etc.
Highlighted
Community Star

I can see the confusion there, in that sense My Account is a bit of a mish-mash, you can't actually action anything on the Speed Boost to remove it.

The fact remains that you are seeing speeds above 40 meg which would not be possible without the Speed Boost. Why they are not as high as you say they were previously I have no idea. But again the engineer's own tests seem to show the maximum available:

Screenshot 2020-09-30 at 14.35.04.png

Highlighted
Team Player

Just spoke to someone in Accounts regarding my issue. Not a clue. He can't understand or wont assist with what is happening with this link to "Manage Broadband Boost" He Only suggests that he himself turns speedboost off. So. I'm giving up on this now. Next problem will be that i'll see my speeds drop to around 32mbps. Only 7 months to go to end of contract. When people in accounts have No interest whatsoever in resolving an issue in ones account then it's time to move.
Just spoke to Adam in CEO Dept and he is prepared to compensate me and apologises on behalf of the person in accounts and accepts that if my speeds don't improve after my line being switched over to different pairing then come May next year I am off. Thanks guys for your input. It is very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Star

I already mentioned that you can't remove the Speed Boost yourself. I thought you were getting that for free? But you're right, if you do remove it you will see the speed drop. 

It sounds like Adam has been very kind to you. 

Highlighted

Hi andromeda,

As ferguson has explained, the fact that your router is in sync at 45.4Mbps shows that the speed boost is active (the speed boost just removes the 40Mbps speed cap). Your router can't sync at anything above 40.0Mbps unless the speed boost is active

Chris