Did you mean: 
Need help?

Neighbours are on Double the speed I am on

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi

I like to think of the SNR

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/SNR-tweak

as the idling/tickover speed of an engine.  Too low it will stall, too high and it is wasting fuel.

So the target value is above 3 but below 6 and the default should be 6.

Downlink target SNR margin (dB) Downlink connection speed (kbps)

18 (worst case)3008
9 (TalkTalk's initial default)4768
6 (BT's initial default)5568

You can see that (in the example) TT have a speed of 4768 as a default, but if the SNR value is set at 6 then the speed increases 5568.

So a speedboost may be  attained by resetting the SNR.

MINE ....   Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate75876 kbps19999 kbps
Maximum Rate78196 kbps22765 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio5.3 dB7.2 dB

If in doubt please ask.

I know nothing about BroadBand, but that does not stop me trying, and I am trying.
Highlighted
Community Star

I like to think of SNR as a margin to prevent crosstalk on a line. If you have a lovely, smooth electrical signal with little interference then it can be set low. If OTHER ELECTRICAL DEVICES OR BAD CONNECTIONS ARE SCREAMING ALONGSIDE then it can't hear itself think.  😉

Highlighted
Philosopher

Don't get sucked in by comparing very old ADSL profiles with anything to do with VDSL.

The frequencies used are different for a start.

The speed will increase with a lower SNR but at the expense of stability past a certain point.

You haven't even mentioned LINE ATTENUATION !

Martin
Highlighted
Team Player
So Chris, if it is switched on, then why the lower speeds of 42mbps at the master socket (using TalkTalk New wifi hub) and not as high as previously reported ie in high 50's? Neighbours on the same exchange, using BT and Sky who don't have a "speedboost" option but just a standard contract are reporting above 48mbps? It seems I am paying for a sub standard service in comparison. I understand there may be over subscription at my exchange as what the engineers describe but this shouldn't be affecting my line as much as this surely?
Highlighted
Community Star

High 50s would seem about par in you area, plus or minus depending on distance from the cabinet, you seem to fall on the minus side. BT, Sky etc. give their products different names, but they do charge more depending on speeds available I can assure you. 

It seems to me that it is what it is. And the readings from the Openreach meter which you posted yourself are the most accurate you can expect.

Highlighted
Team Player
Thanks ferguson. I feel as though I'm being mugged off on this. Looks like I will have to suck it up for the next 6 months before deciding and preparing to move on. At least on a new contract with another company there is the old adage of a cooling off period if not happy with the speeds on a new contract.
Highlighted
Community Star

Honestly, I don't see how you are being "mugged off?" Maybe you are getting too hung up on numbers? Is there anything with your broadband service which isn't providing what you want? My speeds are only a bit faster than yours and everything works just fine including multiple users, 4K streaming, teenage son gaming etc. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver
Is FTTP in your area yet maybe this is the way to go if you can get it
Highlighted
Community Star

@bigkenny  Of course, maybe, at a much higher price. But do you think 40+ is not enough for most users?

Highlighted
Team Player
Well from my perspective, going from averaging 56-58mbps down to 42mbps and with an increase in price from my last contract with TT and having it confirmed that neighbours are on a higher speed for similar pricing bracket then yes I do feel somewhat mugged off. It's not about numbers, it's about what you pay for and not having to put up with a below par service. What's the point in Superboost if it's only giving you a couple of mbps more. Gaming has been an issue. Lot of game lag when three computers are being used by my household. Maybe there is a Latency issue?
Highlighted
Team Player
Not as yet but they were preparing the area two weeks ago. Main utility is situated in my front garden though our village have all been asked to pledge signing up to it but not sure if people are wanting to do this or unsure of how it will affect their existing contracts after pledging then moving over. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

well most people are after more speed its always been that way 9600k,14.4k,28.8k,33.6,56k modems etc always onwards and upwards. I`m sure someone said the same thing when the first 56k modem came out.

I bet the people of South Korea would not put up with our FTTC speeds what are they on about 1Gb speed or something. With everyone in a normal household on a mobile phone which is hooked onto the net along with there pc/tablet not to mention there smart TVs and xbox or PS3/4 and soon to be PS5. I`ve got to be honest 40+ is no good anymore yes 5 years ago but now/next year..........history proves it. No is the answer

Highlighted
Problem Solver
As a foot note I wonder how many people on this Forum would move over to FTTP from FTTC if they could right now for say and extra £10 to £20 per month
Highlighted
Community Star

@bigkenny wrote:
As a foot note I wonder how many people on this Forum would move over to FTTP from FTTC if they could right now for say and extra £10 to £20 per month

Not me. Please explain why.

Highlighted
Problem Solver
well were all after more speed If the price is right people want it, thats all I`m saying. Ok nothing is 100% maybe not you but most people would go for faster speed. I read this forum all the time (as you do) we see all the time people moaning about slow speeds etc. The public want faster and faster broadband its a fact. It will all be FTTP or another faster/better internet connection in the next 5-10 years history shows that
Highlighted
Community Star

Not speed for speed's sake, just enough for what you need. Not what they would like to sell you yee-ha!

But I agree longer term of course, Openreach and other providers are belatedly improving the infrastructure. What hacks me off is that it is almost entirely subsidised by Government spending i.e us, but we are expected to pay premium prices. 

Highlighted
Problem Solver
with all this working from home and the Gov` asking us to work from home. This will only speed 🙂 things up. I went on the internet in 1993/4 with my Amiga and have seen it change to go faster and faster
Highlighted
Philosopher

I would bet a good percentage would not want to lose their landline at the moment, as TT's FTTP service doesn't offer VOIP either.

I really don't want another hole in a wall and like many others, do not have any spare sockets in the right place for the ONT power supply and router.

The higher speeds then bring up other issues, which I have already encountered at my second home, device WiFi capabilities are below the incoming speed so customers will start to complain despite the actual problem being with their own equipment.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

Those of us of a certain age have all been there, much more recently in some cases. You still haven't answered why 100 gigazigawigga or whatever the top speed the marketeers are trying to sell will represent an improvement for most users, or how people can or should be expected to pay a substantial premium for the privilege? Decent broadband for all?

Highlighted
Problem Solver
Well Im always amazed why people pile in to upgrae there phone to the newer one 5g is hit and miss if in right area but all newer phones are updating to it, so soon all the phones in your pocket will be on 5g network. If you want 4k streaming and the next generation tvs 8k you will want/need even faster connections if were all streaming in the house on higher resolution. People will pay more at the start until all the masses change over a few years later to the faster connections. People will always pay more for a premium product its a fact of life. Some will be happy at the slower speeds yes (same as a car but some want the faster one with bigger engine)