cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Network key

8 REPLIES 8
Participant

Several people have asked about this but none seem to work with me. I have an elderly laptop that I seldom use (except as a backup) which connected to the internet without any problem prior to my upgrading to fibre. Now when I click on the TalkTalk connection instead of asking for my password, it requires a network key. I have tried using the TALKTALK36......... and also the password and neither works. I have no problem with my phone or desktop but it would be nice to be able to use my laptop. Thank you

Ian

Community Star

Are you using the same router? 

Team Player

How old is the laptop and what operating system does it run? I had a problem after a router upgrade when an antique Acer netbook running Windows XP would not connect via WiFi but was fine with an Ethernet connection. It turned out thaqt the Acer's wireless networking driver only supported WEP which was obsolete years ago. The new router only supported WPA2 hence the Acer couldn't onnect until I found (iirc on this forum) a driver that handled up-to-date security.

Community Star

Hey @Mr Bear 1 you have gone into more detail there, but that is why I asked if there was a different router connected as a first step. If so then your advice will make more sense. 

Participant

I am thank you. It is a Sagemcom

Participant

Thank you Mr Bear. It is a HP laptop Windows XP. Perhaps it is not compatible with the new router though my desktop (also XP) is fine. I should upgrade!

Community Star

Thanks for the clarification. Make sure that any trace of your old router connection is removed from the device in question and then try again. With all drivers updated. Otherwise, you are probably right! 

And thanks @Mr Bear 1. 🙂

Team Player

Wireless networking was very new in the days of Windows XP so I'd be very surprised if the desktop didn't connect with an Ethernet cable which should work with any router as long as it supports the obsolete and insecure SMB1 protocol. This on it's own is a good reason to pension off Windows XP. The issue I described was a wireless networking driver that predated current security standards (see the sticky relating to iOS for a little more info). I'd encourage you to replace anything running XP with a more modern and secure operating system as soon as possible. Depending on what you use the two XP machines for you might be able to install a lightweight version of Linux rather than spending grown-up money on new computers.

Participant

Thanks everyone for your help. My knowledge of these things is less than basic but I can now get online with an ethernet connection, something I didn't know could be done. As I said, this is a backup just in case my modern Chromebook fails. I keep nothing important on XP and will get round to getting a new pc one of these days. Thanks again!