Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Network switch

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Trying to set up a small network. Ran a cat6 ethernet cable from router to spare bedroom. Can connect one pc directly through this to the router no problem  but get an ip address configuration fault when trying to do it through an unmanaged switch. I've tried a few different things to set this up, but with no success. Anybody else ran into this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance. 

Highlighted
Community Star

Does the switch have a dedicated uplink port? Is the link up for both the link to the router and the pc from the switch.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chatterbox
No, it's just 5 ethernet ports. Flashing light for the cable coming from the router, so it's transmitting data, but only steady lights for the two ports connected to my devices, so they're linked but not transmitting data. It's a tp-link tl-sf1005d if that helps. Router is dlink 3782.
Highlighted
Community Star

If it works without the switch, then the problem has been introduced by the addition of the switch. Disconnect all cables on the switch, then just reconnect the Ethernet cable from the router, does its light go steady green? If it does the connection is fine, then just connect the PC that was connected to the router, does its light on the switch go green? Does it get allocated an IP address from the router & if so does that work OK. Do not connect the second device until you get that far.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?