Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Never used my 'new' year old wifi hub

16 REPLIES 16
fade2gray
Wizz Kid

I'm still using my HG633 because the simplistic new hub did not have the ability to reserve static IP addresses.

I understand there is now a firmware update that allows the reservation of static IP addresses. Can this be download as a file and applied manually, or does the router have to be connected for a live update?

If the latter, is it possible to connect the hub and set it up via a second filter and leave it to update while I continue to use the HG633?

Also, back in January, I received an email invitation to trial a new 'super router(?)' for which I just missed the deadline to apply. Would this super router still be available to such a long-time and valued customer (since LineOne)? 🤣

KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes, there has been new firmware that introduced DHCP Reserved IP addresses quite sometime back now. In common with all TalkTalk routers you cannot download firmware, it is automatically updated by their servers.

If you connect the hub back up, it should hopefully update itself to V2600 within a day or so.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

fade2gray
Wizz Kid

@KeithFrench 

Thanks for the answer Keith, but will this work?

"... is it possible to connect the hub and set it up via a second filter and leave it to update while I continue to use the HG633?"

Also, If I manage to set up the Hub and I find the range is no better than the HG633, is it possible to use the Hub as the main router and set up the HG633 as a relay?

martswain
Philosopher

You can only have ONE router connected to an incoming line, so to get the HUB updated you will have to use only that.

No TT routers can be set to modem-only mode.

Your spare router can be configured as an access point by changing a few settings.

Martin
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @fade2gray 

@martswain beat me to it. If you need any help setting up the two then let me know. However, if you do have range problems with the hub, I would strongly recommend using a WiFi analyser to get the best out of the hub first. I can help a lot with that as well.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

fade2gray
Wizz Kid

@martswain @KeithFrench 

Thanks for the replies.

Is there a recommended guide for setting up an access point using a second router - I would use more suitable equipment but lack of financial resource dictates.

As it is, the distance between the HG633 in the lounge and the laptop in the kitchen is ~5m, with the signal having to travel through little more than two-inch Paramount wallboard partition. While the signal is usable in the kitchen, a further 2m into the patio, through cinderblock and stone-faced concrete, the signal drops off drastically with constant disconnects.

KeithFrench
Community Star

I can provide a general guide I produced on this subject, but if this solution is implemented without first checking for WiFi interference, you could very well make things worse. Let me know which of the two you want me to help with first.

Keith

fade2gray
Wizz Kid

@KeithFrench 

Well, first things first.

I've connected and set up the hub and already see a vast improvement in connectivity on the patio.

I am actually typing this on the laptop on the patio whilst remote desktopping to the main PC in the lounge - no problems at all. 😎

All I need now is for someone to update my firmware.

HUB_infor.JPG

Community Team

Hi fade2gray,

Your router is now showing the latest firmware version (2600t) 🙂

Chris

fade2gray
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Chris 

Thanks for the firmware update, but why did I receive email notifications to all replies to this thread except for yours? Otherwise, I would have thanked you earlier. 🤔

Community Team

Hi fade2gray,

I'm sorry, I don't know - have you received an email reply to this post (if I don't receive a reply I'll assume not)

Chris

fade2gray
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Chris 

Odd, I did receive email notification of your last reply.

I have my TT email set to forward all email to a Gmail account but keep the originals in my TT inbox, so your second reply exists in both my Gmail and TT inboxes.

I have double checked my Gmail for evidence of your first reply, it's not in the inbox or the trash where it will stay for 30 days, neither can it be found in my TT inbox.

Stranger things, eh? 😱

Community Team

Yes, very strange - did you check the TT email trash and spam folders?

Chris

fade2gray
Wizz Kid

@OCE_Chris wrote:

Yes, very strange - did you check the TT email trash and spam folders?

Chris

... but of course. 😁

Community Team

OK thanks. It may have just been a one off but if it happens again please let me know and I'll raised it to the Community Manager

Chris

fade2gray
Wizz Kid

Can't change 'best answer' - I should have selected post 9. 🙄

Community Team

Hi fade2gray

I have removed the best answer so you can select this again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks 

Debbie 🙂