cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Fibre Connection Speed

29 REPLIES 29

My fibre was switched on 10 days ago and I would like to get the speed increased. When it went live on the 7th January it was syncing at 64.5 down and 19.5 up. I switched off the router for 30 minutes and when switching back on it had gone down to 63.4 on the sync.

Speed tests at that time were all over the place with some test sites giving me around 28mbps down and TalkTalk test giving me over 62mbps down.

Since then most of the speed tests are lower and give me between 42mbps and 55mbps down. When I signed up for the faster fibre with speed boost I was told that I would get between 49mbps and 69mbps.

Its dissapointing that sometimes I'm getting less than even 49mbps. I've reset the router a few times including leaving it off for 30 minutes but the sync and speeds have remained the same. This morning I switched the router off for 2 hours and when I switched it back on it was syncing at a slightly higher 64.4 down and 19.5 up. 

Can we get these speeds to increase? I also want to metion that a few years ago and this may have been when I was with AOL there was noise on the phone line and an engineer said that at the box on the street my line had corroded and he'd fixed it and it was OK for about 2 weeks and then the noise came back. I never pursued this further. 

I unplugged the router about 30 minutes ago to test speed and see sync from the master socket or test socket what ever it's called and the sync has slightly dropped on the down speed to 63.8 down from 64.4, upload remains the same at 19.5.

Ten days ago even though some speeds were below the 49mbps minimum I was promised, the TalkTalk test sometimes gave me 62+mbps down, but that isn't happening anymore and when I just ran a test at http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/ I got 53.8 down and 16.9 up. 10 days ago I was getting 62+down 19+up.

It worries me because Nvidia online game streaming recommend 50mbps and one of the reasons I got fibre was to game stream so when I get less than that I'm worried I may not be able to use the service properly.

Please advise, thanks.

I forgot to mention I'm connected via ethernet and using a wifi hub.

Community Team

Hi The Scarlet Pimpernel

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 63.8mb.

There are re connections showing on the line which can affect the sync speed. For fibre connections we advise to leave the router switched on as DLM can change the profile and reduce the speed if it detects re connections on the line.

When you are running a wired speed test are there any other devices in use at this time?

Thanks

Debbie

Hi. No I make sure only my pc is connected and that I'm not doing anything else at the same time.

Community Team

Hi The Scarlet Pimpernel

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you try running the speed test again now using a different device?

Debbie

On wifi TalkTalk test gave me 38mbps.

I also launched chrome on my Nvidia Shield TV as it has an ethernet connection. And Netflix speedtest gave me 31mbps although TalkTalk gave me 60mbps.

I then switched off the Nvidia Shield TV and tried again on my PC and just the PC was on with the only webpages being TalkTalk Community and the TalkTalk speedtest.

The results were 55.2 down and 16.7 up.

Which.co.uk speedtest also gave me 55.5 down and16.8 up.

On the first few days I was getting 62-63 up and almost always 19+ down.

But the problem is as i've run the tests extensively over the last 10 days sometimes I'm getting around 44-47 down and never get anywhere near 19+ up anymore.

The sync has been 63.3 to 64.5 over 10 days so quite steady. My worry is that sometimes I'm getting a lot less than the 49 down minimum I was given and this is worrying as it would seem my line can take more than that. Also I need 50 down minimum for gaming so I want to do everything to make sure I'm getting the best possible connection.

Thanks.

Just wanted to add that when I was on non fibre internet whenever I ran a speedtest from TalkTalk or anyone else it amazed me how almost always my connection was a rock solid 15.7 down. It was crazy how steady that speed was over multiple tests from different websites.

Is it usual for fibre connections to be getting vastly different speeds on different sites?

Community Team

Hi The Scarlet Pimpernel

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

I would then suggest leaving the replacement router connected at the test socket for at least 48hrs without rebooting the router so we can see how the speed compares.

Thanks

Debbie

Thanks we can give that a try. But I want to ask will this cost me anything to recieve and send back? Also if the new router works better can I keep it and send the one I'm using now back or will I be charged?

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi The Scarlet Pimpernel

We can also send a pre paid returns bag so a router can be returned. If the performance is better with the replacement router then we would advise keeping this and returning the other router.

Would you like me to go ahead and send the router?

Thanks

Debbie

Yes OCE_Debbie please go ahead. I'll hook up the new router for 48 hours and then post the results.

Should I hook it up to the test socket or the normal socket? I just did a network test with Nvidia GEForce servers and I'm currently unable to game stream as frame loss is too high, but the thing is the wifihub is still connected to to the test socket. This has never happened before although I've never tried to game before with it connected to the test socket.

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi The Scarlet Pimpernel

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please can you connect the router at the test socket for at least 48hrs (without rebooting) we can then check the connection stats again following this.

Thanks

Debbie

Hi again. I recieved the new router for testing on Monday and it will have been connected to the test socket for 48 hours without a restart at 14:40 today.

The sync is much lower now, it was at around 64mbps down and 19.5mbps up. Its now at 57.6 down and 15.5 up.

I think this may be because its attached to the test socket as that socket performs worse than the regular one. Yesterday when I did a speed check with TalkTalk it was only 47mbps down.

On the 7th of January when the fibre went live the sync was at 64+ down and TalkTalk speed checker was sometimes giving me 62+ down on the test

Please advise,

Thanks.

Community Team

The Scarlet Pimpernel 

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I've checked the connection stats again and the line is now showing in sync at 57.6mb which is lower than when I last checked it.

Please can you connect the router back to your usual set up (not at the test socket) so we can see how the speed compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Yes I'll connect it to the normal socket. Should I just switch them over or leave it off for 30 minutes and then switch?

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi The Scarlet Pimpernel 

Thank you, please can you power down the router for 30 minutes first.

Debbie

Will do, thanks.

Hi again. I switched off the new testing hub for over 30 minutes and plugged it back in to the normal socket. Its syncing 1mbps faster down at 58.6, it was 57.6 before the switch off which is where its pretty much been throughout the 48 hour testing phase with this new router.

Last Thursday my old router was syncing at 64.4 down although speed tests did often drop below the 49mbps promised speed.

My upload sync has dropped from 19.5mbps when the fibre was installed on the 7th (and the first few days after) to 15.6mbps.

Has there been any problems with these new hubs? I'm not sure now if the fibre has become worse over the last few days or wether this hub is worse than the other one I was using.

Please advise,

Thanks.

Community Team

Hi The Scarlet Pimpernel,

Thanks for the update

The predicted range for you line is 49Mbps - 68.6Mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 44Mbps, all these figures refer to sync speed not throughput speeds.

Your current upstream sync speed is toward the top of the predicted range (please note BT don't have a guaranteed minimum for upstream speeds)

It's not unusual for the speed to drop over the first few days as the speed is initially set high and then adjusts downwards in response to connection drops and/or errors.

Chris

Why wasn't I told that the 49mbps guaranteed was sync speed? Seems underhanded to say minimum speed when you know full well the real world speed is lower than the sync speed?

Why on earth would I sign up to a service with a guaranteed 44mbps speed, and by the way this is the first time I'm hearing about this 44mbps speed, funny how it was kept from me when I knew full well that my Nvidia game streaming service reccomends 50mbps?

So I sign up and I'm told 49 minimum and now its revealed that the 49 is actually 44!

I would have never signed for that since I need a recommended 50.

Can I try a super router to see if I can get better speeds than the hub? I thinks its called a HG633?