cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Hive hub installed won't connect to internet (HG633 and fibre)

11 REPLIES 11
midinotes
Popular Poster

Hope someone can help.  I had a new boiler and hive system installed this week by British Gas. Thermostat and heating all working fine, seems to work via hive hub ok but despite my router showing the IP address and MAC address of the hive hub, it doesn't connect to the internet.

I've been through technical support with Hive and they have exhausted most possibilities, however they have asked me to ensure the following ports are open for my fibre broadband service (TalkTalk fibre plus).

UDP123
PCP443
PCP5671
PCP8443

So first question is do I need to do anything to open these ports or should they be open already? It appears that maybe the hub isn't able to connect to the internet, despite it having a working connection to the route (HG633).

Has anyone else had similar problems and if so, how did you resolve it?   I really would like to have my hive working from anywhere, but so far I am unable to get the hub talking to the outside world!

Many thanks

Simon

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Simon, your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear back on Monday. 

I know nothing about hive products but often the WiFi connection can be tricky, are you trying 2.4 or 5 GHz? If in doubt try splitting the SSID Split your router's SSID (wireless network name) 

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
midinotes
Popular Poster
Thanks, however the British Gas hive hub doesn't use WiFi, just an ethernet cable into the router.
Divsec
Community Star

What a plinker I am, told you I knew nothing😊

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Gondola
Community Star

...interesting that British Gas didn't install the latest Hive Hub 360 that Hive claim is the most advanced hub yet and connects to your broadband router via Wi-Fi.

Gondola - Offline : No posts or PM's

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

chtechie
Team Player

@midinotes 

I have a Hive, works just fine but as mentioned elsewhere I do run my DNS settings on Manual - 1.1.1.1 & 8.8.8.8

I've just tried changing DNS back to Auto, Dropbox has stopped working but Hive still sees to be functioning ok so not sure if changing your DNS settings will sort your issue, could be worth a try.

chtechie
Team Player

@midinotes 

Update - my Hive stopped working properly after about 5 minutes of running DNS on Auto, just set DNS back to Manual & everything working ok

Before you ask I have no idea what causes the problem when set to Auto - have promised the OCE's to factory reset the Hub when I get a chance also with some reorganisation of my network I should be able to capture what occurs but that's definitely for another day.

midinotes
Popular Poster
Many thanks Chtechie for the tips. I've tried everything to no avail, so Hive are going to send me a replacement hub. Fingers crossed that will work! Another strange thing though is my heating and thermostat are still working with the hub turned off! Guess it wasn't playing any part in the system, despite it showing a green light. From what I've researched online, doesn't seem TalkTalk is the culprit and it should work fine. As it communicated over the web with Hive's servers, I don't think I need to do any fancy port opening/forwarding. We will see.

Simon
chtechie
Team Player

@midinotes 

Don't have a problem with your CH system working still with hub off - it's designed to let the system continue even if there's an internet issue - of course you won't be able to monitor or change the schedule remotely.

Best of luck with the new hub

Community Team

Hi midinotes

Let us know how things are after the new hub is in place.  If this fails we wan then swap out the route for another model and see if this also helps.

Thanks

Karl. 

midinotes
Popular Poster

Hive sent me a replacement hub and I am pleased to say everything is now working perfectly!  Thanks everyone for your advice and support.

Regards

Simon

Community Team

Hi Simon

That's great news, glad you've got this sorted now..... especially with the cold weather coming in.

Karl.