Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Router Stand Broken Off

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Popular Poster

Hi,

I've unboxed my router today ready for my fibre broadband to be switched over to TalkTalk and the stand won't attach to the back of the router.  I've tried different angles to try pressing it down to get it to stay on but I'm not having any luck.  Could anyone help please?

Cheers

Highlighted
First Timer

Just unboxed my new Fibre Router yesterday to find mine has broken off as well . So it will not stand up on its own.

Love some advice on this problem please, as I am sure the person I am replying to will need as well. Thanks.

Love my Computer
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Both,

A replacement Hub has been dispatched along with a returns bag. Can you please return the faulty units and we can look at these with our vendor.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
First Timer

Just to thank you for sending me a New Router, (which you tell me is on the way) for the faulty one I received ,you have been very fair and quick with my problem.

Thanks again.

Dave

Love my Computer
Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Karl,

Thank you and will do.

My fibre service has now switched over to TalkTalk and I’m not very impressed with the coverage from the router. I’m having trouble getting a good strength signal/connecrion to certain parts of my home, which was fine with my previous BT Smart Hub and the TalkTalk router is sat in exactly the same place the BT one was. I’ve tried both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz SSID’s

Are these routers just simply not as powerful compared to your competitors?

Thank you.
Highlighted

Hi Hollywood4l1fe 

Have you tested different wireless channels to see how the connection compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Debbie,

Yeah I’ve changed it from auto to channel 36, 40, 44, etc... and the range is still the same. Channel 36 was great on my BT Home Hub 6 though.

Thank you
Highlighted

Hi Hollywood4l1fe

Thanks for your reply.

@KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Could you help please Keith?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Hollywood4l1fe 

@OCE_Debbie  has asked me to help you. Ch's 36 - 48 when 80MHz bandwidth in operation, there is no guarantee which of these 4 channels you will use, it all depends on which other networks are detectable in your area in this range.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

If you have the HG633, HG635, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they are dual-band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well, or if the HG633, DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), DSL-3782 (V1.10) and the TalkTalk Home Hub. To use this, leave both network names identical on each of these routers and on the HG633 you will need to additionally enable Band Steering from the initial Wi-Fi menu.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi both,

Thanks for the speedy replies and the router doesn’t seem to support dual band, they’re separate and I’ve changed the SSID’s to something personal. Band Steering isn’t an option on the router from what I can see either.

The old BT 5GHz SSID was set to channel 36 and the signal throughout the house and even into the back garden was incredible. This is why I’m not impressed or happy with this TalkTalk router as nothing else has changed in our environment.

Thank you
Highlighted
Community Star

Which TalkTalk router do you have then, if it supports ch 36, it must be dual-band?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Keith,

It’s a 5364-3 so has 2.4GHz and 5GHz available, but can I set a single SSID for both channels rather than have them separate?

Cheers
Highlighted
Community Star

The TalkTalk WiFi hub (Sagemcom 5364FAST) is a dual-band router. To enable band steering, the SSID for each band must be identical & that is it.

If you go back to my main post you will see that this work fixes nothing, I can offer more help if you want it.

Keith

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Keith,

Okay great I’ll get that setup. I’ve now set the 5GHz channel to 120 and the range is a little better.

Any additional help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Highlighted
Community Star

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Highlighted

Hi Hollywood4l1fe

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Morning Debbie,

I’ve not had chance to run any interference tests throughout the house yet as per Keith’s guide, but my thoughts are that this ew router just isn’t as good as my old BT Home Hub 6 as this is the only thing that’s changed 😞

Andy
Highlighted

Hi Andy

Was this the same with both Wifi Hubs?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Popular Poster
Hi Debbie,

I’ve not received a replacement yet with a working stand.

Cheers
Highlighted

Hi Andy

I can see that OCE_Karl has ordered this. Please let me know if you haven't received this by the end of today.

Thanks

Debbie