I recently upgraded my broadband to Faster Fibre. Wifi works just fine, but when i connect my PC with Ethernet cable, I don't have access to the internet, despite being connected. This surely isn't a client-sided issue, as I tried two cables and both work just fine with old router. Also all settings seem to be in order.
Yes, I have tried that during conversation with technical support. I've also done every test suggested by an agent. I will be sent a new router to check if this one is faulty.
Correct, Im supposed to get it in 1-2 working days.
I fixed the problem by manually setting DNS adresses, rather than letting the hardware find them automatically. Ethernet connection works just fine now.