would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New SG4K10001E00t update broke private VPN

8 REPLIES 8
Kevin_1
Chatterbox

Hi,

I think it's safe to say that the router may be fine but the software sucks and has actually got worse since the update!

I have a vpn service on my internal network that allows me to connect from a remote location, this no-longer works, I know it's the router because i can test the access locally direct from my laptop to the VPN server and see tcp packets, if however I test against my external (outside) ip nothing hit's the VPN server.

Yes I can see packets on the appropriate port from the inside test but nothing for the outside test.

I have confirmed that the port forwarding rule is in place an also the appropriate firewall rule.

How can you possibly have made this software worse after a 18months of no updates!!!!

Also the nice names side of things still doesnt work, router just forgets anything ive set and why for the name of god would you add an option under maintenance for "TR-096" Wan management function which has an ON/OFF option but you cant actually turn the service OFF!!!

Totally unacceptable in this day and age!!

Community Team

Hi Kevin_1,

I'm sorry to hear this. Could I just confirm, did VPN work fine up until the new firmware update? Have you tried factory resetting the router and then retesting this? As soon as we've confirmed this then we'll pass this over to our Products Team.

Thanks

Kevin_1
Chatterbox

Hi,

Yes I can safely say it was working before as when we switched to TalkTalk a few months ago I setup and tested all the same settings that I needed to re-create from the old providers hub.

I cant say I have tried a factory reset of the router but that seems to be a bit extreme given Ive changed nothing on this side and only, as far as I can tell, my router firmware has been updated automatically - without my consent - to a new version and the issue now exists.

This is will be a pain for me as by default i prefer to run my router on the .254 address, thatsb the way all my previous ones have been, and not the default .1 that comes pre-set by TalkTalk.

The router firmware/software doesnt appear to like this or the fact i have set a specific range for dhcp leases, there are a number of bugs/issues with this software which are driving me and a number of other people, plenty of other posts, nuts because of the poor way it's being implemented.

I will have to see if I can find some time this weekend to factory reset and then re-configure the router and see if that fixes this particular issue.

Kevin

Community Team

Kevin_1

I can send another WiFi Hub for testing to see if you are able to connect ok?

Alternatively I can send a HG633 router which should work fine with VPN.

Thanks

Debbie

Kevin_1
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie,

The HG633 sounds like a step back to me as that, if my information is correct, is a much older router that was replaced by the FAST5364?

If I could get the 5364 with the previous version of the firmware/software on it then that may make testing a bit more obvious I can then configure the new router with the same config as my current one and switch them over and see what the behaviour is.

If that cant be done then a factory reset and reconfigure on mine will have to be the next logical step, it's just finding time that suits the household will be a problem.

Kevin

Community Team

Hi Kevin

The WiFi Hub will have the new firmware version. We are unable to roll firmware back.

I will feed this back to our Products Team. Which VPN client are you using? Does this also occur when connected wired?

Thanks

Debbie

Kevin_1
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie,

Not wishing to publicaly explain my setup but I have an instance of openvpn running on a server inside my network I then have issued certain devices witch I have generated ovpn certs and they can access the service from the outside in.

If I performa a basic "telnet <internal ip> <ovpn port>" i can see traffic on the vpn server using "tcpdump", if I try the same telnet but via my external ip I see nothing on the vpn server therefore the traffic is not getting through.

My vpn clients using a dynamic DNS service and an external web address so that they always get routed to my router as we don't have a fixed internet address.

Kevin

Kevin_1
Chatterbox

Apologies bad grammer/spelling should have checked before submitting

"I then have issued certain devices with ovpn certs, that I have generated, and they can access the service from the outside in."

Kevin

Community Team

Hi Kevin

I would suggest resetting everything back up again to see if this resolves this issue.

Thanks

Debbie