Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Wifi Hub

ANSWERED
prawlin
Enlightened One

I did compare speeds when I got my hub (which was the day before they switched me to VDSL2 FTTC was on ADSL previously)

I can say that comparing HG635 to new hub on my old ADSL line returned identical sync speeds. Literally no difference at all.

Then on VDSL2 I intend to eventually put the trusty HG635 back on line for a while as a comparison. However, I'm currently only a couple of days into the new service and don't want to mess up the DLM process by constantly fiddling about. So I'm leaving the hub connected continuously to see how things go and find out what is normal for my line.

I have fixed my blinding white LED with a small square of translucent blue tape. It looks really cool now!

Peter

godfrem
Chat Champion

Mainly because people don't go on the forum to say how happy they are with it!

Matthew Godfrey
Branta
Conversation Starter

@godfrem wrote:

How true, it's a universal fact that folks are quicker to find fault than give praise, and especially so online.  But wait, there's also another effect operating here....

The folks who will be thrilled with this Hub are those who just want to plug it in and have it work reasonably fast.  They should be happy as this is a very well-specified unit (if we ignore the user controls).  But these aren't the typical visitors to this online forum.

The folks who will be disappointed with this Hub are those who want to control its operation in some (what they thought were) very basic ways, such as:

• Specifying a DNS server
  • Specifying the DHCP range
  • Reserving local IP addresses
  • Controlling QoS
  • Viewing connected items (in a way that they are recognisable)

I would argue that this latter group are the much more typical inhabitants of this forum.  Hence inevitable that when looking here the opinions will lean towards "flak".

But saddest of all is the suggestion further up this thread (three months ago) that new firmware will be available "soon".

skygrowler
Insightful One

@godfrem wrote:

why would anyone come on here to state how happy they are that something they have is working exactly how it should ? :smileyface:

Branta
Conversation Starter

why would anyone come on here to state how happy they are that something they have is working exactly how it should ? :smileyface:

If I'd complained about anything and it got fixed, I hope I'd have the courtesy to come here and acknowledge the fix.

Trouble is with TalkTalk the fixes take so long (if they appear at all) most folks will have given up and bought a decent piece of kit, so they won't even know about the fix.

paulshent
Community Star

Just a note to say. Under latest firmware you can turn light off and it WILL stop off

If you leave the LED on long enough it will dim like a dying star.  Mine did anyway.

Branta
Conversation Starter

Agreed, they fixed the LED issue with the latest firmware.

Does anyone know if they fixed anything else ?  So far I'm not aware of anything.

I'm trying to be patient but recently I've received a tp-link "Archer VR400" modem router (from the world's most well-known online retailer).  It addresses all of the problems I have with the "Wifi Hub" (and very nicely) but seems to introduce a stupid problem all of its own, I think I've maybe got a faulty one.  More later.

ferguson
Community Star

@Branta wrote:

Does anyone know if they fixed anything else ?  So far I'm not aware of anything.

What other issues with the Hub do you feel needed fixing? From my experience it is far more solid in its connection and overall performance than previously, to the extent that I am now using it as my main router, I certainly wasn't before. 

prawlin
Enlightened One

There really ought to be a web page or forum topic dedicated to the hub and its software updates and update history. This is the way good companies do it. The software updates should be

be transparent and announced publicly for those who need or like to know such things.

Instead, it seems to be done secretly and automatically without us users even being informed.

I feel like a mushroom, keep us in the dark and feed us *@#][!![]'#[@#]!*!

Peter

ferguson
Community Star

Um, you are on a forum topic? If you have any particular issue just ask.

Branta
Conversation Starter

@ferguson wrote:

hat other issues with the Hub do you feel needed fixing? From my experience it is far more solid in its connection and overall performance than previously, to the extent that I am now using it as my main router, I certainly wasn't before. 

Thanks, that's interesting.  In my case I never had any connection issues (40 mbps line) either before or after the firmware upgrade.  I also have two other modems that connect just as solidly.  Maybe I'm lucky that my line is particularly clean.  But I can appreciate that if it had connection issues, then that will be where they put the effort first.

For a list of five issues I feel still need fixing see my post of 3rd December in this thread.

And since then I noticed it sometimes has a habit of keeping the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks isolated from one another (meaning my 5GHz tablets and 'phone lose sight of my 2.4GHz Yamaha "Musiccast" items.  Curiously a reboot tends to fix it (or cause it, randomly).

Gavona
Chat Champion

@Branta wrote:

@godfrem wrote:

How true, it's a universal fact that folks are quicker to find fault than give praise, and especially so online.  But wait, there's also another effect operating here....

The folks who will be thrilled with this Hub are those who just want to plug it in and have it work reasonably fast.  They should be happy as this is a very well-specified unit (if we ignore the user controls).  But these aren't the typical visitors to this online forum.

The folks who will be disappointed with this Hub are those who want to control its operation in some (what they thought were) very basic ways, such as:

I would argue that this latter group are the much more typical inhabitants of this forum.  Hence inevitable that when looking here the opinions will lean towards "flak".

But saddest of all is the suggestion further up this thread (three months ago) that new firmware will be available "soon".

"Does anyone know if they fixed anything else ?  So far I'm not aware of anything."

I am now very happy with my service, including the WIFI Hub.  I was very unhappy for 5 months but the combination of the new Hub and whatever OpenReach and TalkTalk did in February have left me with a perfectly stable connection with throughput in excess of the estimated range when I took out the service.  I can't isolate the impact of the router and the impact of changes to the line although I guess I could do so since I have the old router still.

I don't think that the hub is perfect:

1. I do lament the absence of stats about errors etc - they were quite helpful in helping me to identify and resolve local electrical interference issues.
  2. I do have suspicions and questions about some of what the router reports (for example on the deviceinfo page: a downstream noise margin consistently reported as 0 seems unlikely and inconsistent with zero unexpected dropouts in the last month;  the ipv4 uptime appears not to update; is my NAT really disabled - should I change this ). Would be nice if there was a known issues and improvement requests page maintained by TT.
  3. I would appreciate better explanations about how to use / when to use some of the features of the hub

My TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is version SG4K10001E00t

Things seem to have moved on as I can:

1. Specify a DNS server
  2. Specify the DHCP range     - 
  3. Reserve local IP addresses

Here is a screen shot showing 1:

http😕/prntscr.com/n1cd2y

And here is a screenshot showing 2 & 3 

http😕/prntscr.com/n1ca5p

(yes I know I need to move the fixed address outside the pool)  http😕/prntscr.com/n1ca5p

So I think that still outstanding from your wish list are:

I am not sure what is a reasonable expectation for viewing connected items.  I do seem to be able to specify an icon for each device and its location (free text) but I can't give it a user friendly name and the location is as far as I can see only available on the set up screen for the device.  All my Alexa and my firestick appear as amazon-SerialNo.    I also think that connected devices are not always listed.

As far as I know there has been no sharing of information about the updated firmware and the manual that I found "TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub (Sagemcom FAST 5364).pdf" is out of date (25/06/2018 in the footer).

Thanks,
Gavona
Branta
Conversation Starter

Many thanks for going to the trouble of posting those screenshots.

Sadly in your second screenshot although it looks like adjustments can be made to the DHCP range, and that IP addresses could be reserved, when I tried it (with SG4K10001E00t) it just didn't work.  I can't recheck (as I'll explain later) but I did post my findings elsewhere on this forum.

I'll admit that I didn't try to change the DNS servers with SG4K10001E00t, maybe I should apologise and remove that item from my list.

However, this morning when I logged into my Hub to try these things out I find I now have version SG4K10002600t !  Anyone else got that ?  No idea when that was dropped in there as mostly I have been using another modem/router recently.

With SG4K10002600t it seems I CAN now adjust the DHCP pool and maybe even allocate fixed IP addresses.  Haven't yet worked out how to specify alternate DNS addresses, but assume that is in there too if it worked on SG4K10001E00t.

So there IS progress !  Now waiting for this post to be removed if SG4K10002600t is not on general release 😉

I had been invited to join a second trial of the Hub, but had declined.  I wonder if that is why I have SG4K10002600t ?

If I also find that QoS prioritisation is now available I'll definitely be back here with an excited post !

paulshent
Community Star
2600t is the latest test micro code for the Router.
I signed a none disclosure for the trial so cannot comment any further.
Otherwise you are correct.
Branta
Conversation Starter

@paulshent wrote:
2600t is the latest test micro code for the Router.
I signed a none disclosure for the trial so cannot comment any further.
Otherwise you are correct.

Many thanks for confirming what I suspected.

I was part of the first firmware trail and (like you) signed a non-disclosure agreement.  The terms of which probably don't allow me to say why I didn't bother signing up for the second firmware trial !

I did have a post removed (in another thread) when i sailed too close to the wind.  I believed I was within the text of the NDA but agree I was pushing the spirit a bit !

But as I did not sign up for the second trial, didn't receive a email informing me of the firmware update, and don't see any messages on my DSCOUT (yuk) account, I shall feel free to comment on 2600t.  And it's all good so far !

Branta
Conversation Starter

@Branta wrote:

And it's all good so far !

Sadly I already saw firmware SG4K10002600t lose a "friendly name". Twice. As it happens on a wired item that is at a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range, so I recognise it easily without a friendly name. On wifi the names appear to be sticking better than they did (am I tempting fate by writing that ?).

My Sony (android) TV which is always connected still doesn't show in the connected items list. Even when it's streaming from the internet.

Also I haven't yet found any area where QoS prioritisation might be set.

But hey, it's more progress than I had expected, so I'm in an optimistic mood.

OrangeBucket
Conversation Starter

Sadly I already saw firmware SG4K10002600t lose a "friendly name". Twice. As it happens on a wired item that is at a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range, so I recognise it easily without a friendly name. On wifi the names appear to be sticking better than they did (am I tempting fate by writing that ?).

I've got 2600t. It seems to be the version you get when you ask for your hub to be upgraded so it is not quite general release but not a restricted trial either.

I find that the 'friendly names' tend to hang around for a few days but then vanish into thin air, and if you reboot your hub then they all seem to go. Well I assume that is when they went. All I know is that I gave every device I have a friendly name and now there aren't any at all. The icons are somewhat hit and miss too, though they don't all end up on one default.

The one other obvious flaw I can see with 2600t is that something isn't quite right with the ordering of the log entries. It is certainly an improvement on my previous version (1400) as that required you to manually click through potentially hundreds of pages of logs to get the latest entries but it is still not right. My first log entries are 28th February and I have to click through to the seventh page to get today's logs. It will be interesting to see what happens in a few days time when the day of the month for 'today' is greater than 28, and then again when it rolls back round to 1. Will I have a brief period of the latest logs appearing first and then have to click through 500 pages of logs again?

rwalton159
Conversation Starter
Small piece of black tape placed over the light sorts this 👍
Lainey3979

Does anyone know how long it takes for the New WiFi hub to be delivered?

Community Team

Hi Lainey3979,

We usually advise between 3-5 working days once the router has been sent, however if you create your own thread on the Community then we can look into this further for you.

Thanks