Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New broadband failure

ANSWERED
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
First Timer

Never was the expression "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" more appropriate. 

A couple of weeks back I ordered an upgrade to faster fibre from my bog standard broadband which has worked fine for years. Yesterday was my go live day. Plugged in new router - standard flashing light sequence followed by a steady amber light. Router info says it's not getting a public IP address and log shows a string of DHCP client failures, every three minutes. Looks like a network issue. 

Over 90 minutes on the phone today to two different techs and three different customer service people and I've been variously told that there's an unsolicited feed (a what?), that I've tried to cancel the service (I haven't), that the problem is with my WiFi (it isn't)... Finally that there might be a network issue, they've escalated it to a case manager and I should hear back within five working days (during which I'm working until 7pm and they stop working at 7pm - helpful).

Hardly a good start! Are things normally this bumpy with new fibre connections? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes please and then try and connect again as this will reset the current session.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for responding. I've switched off for 30 minutes but no change. 

Current status:

Steady amber light on the front of the router (Sagemcom 5364)

No public IP address

Log recording this message every three minutes "The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36". I spotted another post here today with that same error so seems it's not just me.

Highlighted

Hi 

Apologies for this.

Do you still have your old router, have you tested with this?

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

The next step will be to arrange an Openreach engineer visit, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi

""Plugged in new router - standard flashing light sequence followed by a steady amber light. Router info says it's not getting a public IP address and log shows a string of DHCP client failures, every three minutes.""

Maybe you need to register the new router, or TALK TALK do, to your account.

I know nothing about BroadBand, but that does not stop me trying, and I am trying.
Highlighted
First Timer

Hi Debbie,

My old (old) router isn't fibre capable so I've not been able to test with that. 

The new talk talk router is now in the test socket, via the included filter. Same status as before. 

The phone still works fine. Before my go live date, internet had worked perfectly for years so I'd be surprised if it was an issue at this end. The router shows that the xDSL link status is up, which suggests there's a connection there; it's just the lack of a public IP address assignment that's causing the problem. Another post here suggested it was a setting in "RADIUS" that needed changing - does that make any sense? 

If the standard procedure is to send out an engineer next, then yes we'll have to do that but I'm not holding out much hope that it will help. 

Highlighted
First Timer

Just as a brief experiment, I tried manually setting a public IP in one of Talk talk's ranges and... it connected! For the first time ever, I had a white light on the front of the router. 

No actual internet access of course but it does rather support my theory that this issue is a talk talk network configuration problem rather than anything wrong with the line. As I see it, the router connects to your network but just doesn't get assigned a public IP. 

Lots of other people have reported the same symptoms - surely your helpdesk software records details of problem resolutions that are flagged up when similar symptoms are reported? 

Highlighted

Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay. Thanks for the additional information. I've tried one more radius reset now, could you try the 30 minute router power down again please. If the router does still not authenticate then I will pass this straight to our Network Team for further investigation.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

Thanks for looking at this. I've powered down and disconnected for half an hour but still no change. No public IP assigned. 

Please pass this on to your network team at the earliest opportunity. I would note that I've been without internet for a full week now; if this can't be fixed in the next couple of days, I'm going to have to cancel and sign up with a different supplier - this is in no way an acceptable level of service. 

Highlighted

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've escalated this straight over now and will let you know as soon as I receive an update back.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Phoned again and spoke with a really helpful lady called Sarah. 

Engineer visit booked for tomorrow morning (just to make sure - I don't think there's an issue with the line) and she's created an EAS ticket to make sure my account is all set up properly as there's a possible oddity there - the company I used to get my broadband from was bought up by talk talk rather than me signing up with them directly so there might be an oddity with the way my account was initially set up. 

Fingers crossed we'll have some progress in the next few days. 

Highlighted

Hi,

Thank you for the update and please let us know how you get on. Just to confirm, were you contacted by our Network Team at all yesterday following my last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Hi @OCE_Michelle 

Nope - no-one contacted me yesterday. That's why I phoned up again today. 

Highlighted

Hi,

I'm really sorry and I'll feed this back.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer

Today's update...

Openreach engineer came first thing this morning and spent over three hours on this. Conclusion: line proved all the way back to talktalk's equipment in the exchange. Problem is definitely with talktalk, not with the line. 

One of his colleagues emailed talktalk with those results and had a reply back from their network team to say they'd take it from there. Suggestion that it should be working within 24 hours. It does look like an authentication issue. 

I received a rather optimistic (automated) email and text a little later saying the problem has been fixed. It hasn't. 

Another waiting game for both this and the EAS ticket to progress. 

Highlighted
Whizz Kid

Hi

I think it is a Pyramid Game, a bit like snakes and ladders, there is only a single employee who can solve your problem.

They are at the pointy bit at the top, you have to  progress thru/past all the numbskulls in the pyramid.  Slip down a few blind alleys etc etc.

TT's problem is they have too many people on the help-desk who survive by incompetence obscured by anonymity, until either you give up or shake a double six and get to the point, cuz they never will, of the problem, it's solution and/or the Pyramid.

Rant over.

I know nothing about BroadBand, but that does not stop me trying, and I am trying.
Highlighted

Hi,

Thanks for the update and I've just chased our Network Team for an update on this now.

Thanks

Highlighted
First Timer
Solution

Hallelujah!

In the last couple of hours, the router finally authenticated successfully and connected. 

I believe the fix was for one of the network team to rebuild my account on Radius (the system that authenticates broadband users). It seems that it thought I was a business customer rather than residential. 

That was 14 days of no internet after switching to fibre; hopefully the auto compensation system will function more smoothly! 

Highlighted

Hi

Glad to hear this has been resolved for you now.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE