Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New customer, no internet connection

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Chatterbox

I was supposed to go live before midnight of the 30th April, but the orange light on the router was still blinking the next day. I went on the TallTalk website to see what might be the problem and found that if the previous internet provider was Virgin Media, which it was, I would have to contact them.

I contacted Virgin media and they told me to contact the new internet provider. I can't seem to find any contact number for talktalk so don't know how to get this issue sorted out. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Highlighted
First Timer

I have the same problem but with a new connection (no previous) vendor on the line.

Kind regards, Ryan
Highlighted
Philosopher

@Ryan000 

Please start your own topic if you require support.

You cannot piggyback on another member's thread.

Martin
Highlighted
Philosopher

@F5ifi 

The only reason to call Virgin is to cancel their service.

When TalkTalk provide a service, they do so over completely different infrastructure and joining TT does not automatically cancel any Virgin contract.

Martin
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Martin,

The Virgin Media contract was cancelled by the previous tenants just recently, but I do not know how to get the TT connection working.

I tried calling TT but could not get through to a human, the robot was unable to provide any help. 

What steps are normally taken when a switch like this happens?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi F5ifi,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Telephone number

We'll then be able to look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks,

Ben

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Ben,

I have updated my number on my profile. For phone number, I have entered the TalkTalk number, however I have no phone to receive calls on this number. Under "Alternative number" I have entered my mobile number.

Please call me on my mobile number and not the TalkTalk landline number.

Highlighted

Hi F5ifi,

Thanks for doing that. We only ask for you landline number so we can run diagnostics on the correct line.

I've taken a look and can see the router is not in sync currently and the test suggests that it is not connected up to the master socket. Your router will need to be plugged into a BT telephone socket as connecting to a Virgin Media one will not work as mentioned above. 

Could you please confirm or attach a picture of the current setup you have? 

Thanks,

Ben

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. I have attached a picture of the sockets. I have it plugged into the BT socket but I only get the flashing orange light.

15888352905683851897046614104084.jpg

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi Ben,

I understand that there should be a horizontal line on the master socket, the BT socket that I have does not have a horizontal line on it, as you can see from the picture I posted previously.

Does this mean I will not be able to use the internet service that TalkTalk offers?

Please let me know, thanks. 

Highlighted
Philosopher

I'd take out the two screws on the BT socket, gently remove the cover and see what is inside.

Can you see any cable coming in through the wall and connected to the back of the socket ?

Martin
Highlighted

Hi F5ifi

If you remove the 2 screws (on the bottom master socket) does the lower section of the face plate come away to reveal a test socket underneath?

Thanks

Debbie