would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New fibre connection with Sagemcom Fast 5364

66 REPLIES 66
Retro
Chatterbox

Heya TalkTalkers,

As a new user of TT just wanted to say HI to everyone here. 

My new TT connection (TT fibre) will be activated tomorrow and as I've been provided with a Sagemcom Fast 5364 router, I've decided to record all the steps that I will need to take in order to get me up and running. Who knows, maybe it helps someone in the future...

See ya all around folks.

Retro
Retro
Chatterbox

Ok, so first the Sagemcom Fast 5364.

It's a damn big thing! Twice as large as my old BT hub and Plusnet router. Just unpacked, connected to the power but not to the main line yet (as it's still not active) and switched it ON as I wanted to check a couple of default settings and align some to suit my needs.

First thing to notice is that unit runs warm after only 10 mins on power. As a comparison, my Plusnet seems to be as cool as a breeze after being switched ON 24x7 for for the last couple of months.

Ok, so in the packaging box there is a spare LAN cable. Great. I've connected to the router's LAN port and to my laptop. My laptop picked automatically an IP from 192.168.1.0/24 range and default gateway set to 192.168.1.1 which is the IP of the router.

Connected to router's admin screen with my Chrome browser via URL http://192.168.1.1 and logged into the router. A simple three-option interface greets me as per below. No internet (as expected as the line is not connected) but WiFi is up and running. Mmm, not much to do here, where are the more advanced options?

20180607-1.jpgA click on "See Wi-Fi settings" option (the middle option on the first screen) and a new summary screen appears, this time with an option at the bottom of the page ("Manage advanced settings").

20180607-2.jpg

Cool, clicked on this option and it revealed more detailed dashboard as per below.

20180607-3.jpg

Ok, so what I want to do today is really to change IP of my router (as I prefer to have it on 192.168.1.253), to disable DHCP (as I have DHCP on my LAN advertising addresses for the network range 192.168.1.0/24), to change SSIDs for my 2.4Ghz and 5Hhz networks. Perhaps also to check security settings and change the default "admin" password (provided on the router) to something more acceptable.

To change the router IP and disable DHCP, just click on the "DHCP" option, edit the IP and deselect DHCP. Then press "Apply".

20180607-4.jpg

Ah, now that the IP is changed, router has offered a new link to access its UI: http://192.168.1.253. One click on this and I am back in.

So I navigated again through initial screen option ("See Wi-Fi settings") and pressed "Manage advanced settings" and the (this time) selected 2.4ghz WiFi settings (a little wheel in the upper corner). Only changes that I've applied are those to SSID, password and I've chosen to have the network hidden. Another "Apply" and settings are saved. A quick glance over "Advanced" tab shows that B+G+N is enabled by default, which (I believe) would take it to 300mbps (if supported by any of my WIFI adapters), otherwise it would happily provide "G" (54mbps) or "B" (11mbps).

20180607-5.jpg20180607-6.jpg

By pressing the small "home"/house icon in the upper right corner I am now taken to the main screen where I've selected the "Access Control" option which takes me to the Port-Forwarding/Firewall/Dmz/User configuration.

20180607-7.jpg

A quick glance over Firewall configuration reveals that by default "Medium" security policy is selected (which allows all outgoing traffic but only blocks explicitelly NETBIOS from WAN/outside to the LAN). I clicked on "High" as I preferred all initiating traffic from the outside (WAN) to the LAN to be rejected by default. Offered outgoing protocols seemed fine but my Quake will probably not work with this by default as it would want to hit higher ports (above 20000). I'll deal with that tomorrow once the line is activated. Pressed on "Apply" to save the changes.

20180607-8.jpg

Ok, so the last step is to change admin password. To do this, I selected "User" option on the top of the same page and entered old and new password (twice). One last "Apply", then logout and log back in to test. It all works fine it seems.

20180607-9.jpg

Ok, that was all that I wanted to do today. Switched the device off, I did put it on the top of the cabinet next to the (still active) PlusNet router and connected to the power. Will wait for line activation before plugging line in and switching it on again. More about that hopefully tomorrow.

Night night...

Retro
Gondola
Community Star

Hi Retro

I like your classic style.  And, I'm looking forward (see what I did there) looking forward to your review of the Wi-Fi Hub.

Nice one.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Retro
Chatterbox

"Line activation" day

===================

Following my configurations from yesterday on the TT router box, there was actually nothing more for me to do today. The old Plusnet line went down at 3:40pm, so I did the following:

• removed cable (leading to the main socket) from the old router and plugged into the new one,
  • removed all LAN cables from the old router and plugged into LAN ports of the new TT router (yellow ports)
  • switched OFF the old Plusnet router
  • switched ON the new TT router

It picked up the signal from the exchange in no time and my new line was up and running with reported 40mbps/10mbps from the word "go". I did few tests over the WiFi and wire and got reasonable 36.5mbps/9.5mbps on average. Very pleased indeed.

1.jpg

2.jpg

To be frank, I didn't get a chance to play with the firewall settings further today but most of the intiial connectivity tests passed including tests over a single or multiple parallel point-2-site VPN connections. Even Quake Live works (probably over HTTP), so my initially selected firewall settings should be ok for now.

My days with the new TT router have just started, will keep an eye on the stability of the service, quality of WiFi and stability of the box itself. Will report periodically to this post when there are any news.

All in all, my start with TalkTalk could not have been better. Very pleased.

Retro
Community Team
Hi Retro

Welcome to the Community 🙂

Thank you for your feedback.

Debbie
stefant
First Timer

Hi Retro. Like the presentation.  Will help people a lot. Got a couple of comments though:

1  You said you plugged in the LAN cable at the start but in the first screen shot the RH column shows there is a WiFi connection but no LAN connections so it looks as though you must have accessed the router via WiFi to do your setup (see below).

2  The screen shot after the broadband connection was made showed in the RH column that 4 devices were connected but only 2 IP addresses were displayed.

The reason for the comments (questions) is because I've also tried to pre-configure my new 5364 router to meet my own specific LAN requirements by using an Ethernet port connection but none of them worked.  Tried 3 good cables and 3 good laptops but no joy.  Can you explain how you get your LAN ports to "work" ?

Gave up in the end because I've got a very tight deadline to meet and needed this up and running before the switch-over on Friday but no-one seems to have any experience of the 5364 apart from yourself.

After also having been given the run around for over an hour by tech "support" (LOL) using text messages after I was unable to update the broadband password on my existing connection - so that I knew what it was in case I needed to revert to it  -  it became clear they had no idea whatsoever what I was talking about  <:^/

Couldn't risk any downtime resulting from the switch to fast fibre so had to instruct Chat line to cancel the order for the fast fibre update.  They were somewhat reluctant so had to mention "unfit-for-purpose"  and "OFCOM" after which they cancelled the order immediately.

Hope you have better experience with your 5364.

Retro
Chatterbox

Heya Stefant,

So sorry to hear that you've had issues with your new router. I really do not know what went wrong, pity that you had to cancel your fibre so soon, we could have looked at your setup together (over the phone).

To be absolutely honest, my experience with new router and TalkTalk service after 5 days of using the broadband has been just great. Couldn't ask for more. WiFi has been just so much better than when I used Plusnet's router (which I can't say was bad either). WiFI throughput is about 10%-20% better than Plusnet's with the same laptop and same settings. I am really not sure why. WiFi signal reaches further than Plusnet's box it seems (as I am now able to browse with solid speed from most remote parts of my house where I couldn't do so before).

Of course, I have played a bit more with the router in the last few days and have found some annoyances as well, i.e. lack of "search" and "clear logs" options under maintenance/logs which made manual inspection of 2MB of logs almost impossible (had to overcome this issue and pull the logs from the response stream directly by inspecting response with F12 in Chrome browser's Network diagnostics section). That actually revealed that someone had been trying to connect overnight (how funny), so I actually blocked intruder's MAC address on the WiFI MAC filter and that cleared the logs the next day.

When it comes to Sagemcom, I need to be realistic, for a router that's been given to me for free it's a damn good box, works well and the only downside is its size.

To answer your first question, you are right in saying that the picture does not quite match my script. I must admit that I actually forgot to take picture while I was initially connected via LAN cable, so had to fake it at a later stage while I was already connected over WiFi :). Well spotted!

As for the second comment that the screenshot shows 4 connections but only 2 devices, I totally missed to spot that. Just checked again and it still says the same :). Perhaps it's a bug in the dashboard widget implementation. Once you click on the "Manage my devices", it opens up new screen and lists all connections as per below.

20180613-01.jpg

20180613-02.jpg

Now to answer you question re: LAN. I didn't do much really, only the following:

- First I made sure that my laptop didn't have static IP configured in the NIC's TCP/IP settings. I wanted my laptop to pick its address directly from the router's DHCP.

- I then powered on the router, waited for it to come up and then used LAN cable from the router's box to connect my laptop to one of those few yellow LAN ports on the router 

- My laptop picked an IP address from the right range from the router's DHCP, which allowed me to ping router's IP 192.168.1.1 and to access its screen via http/Chrome/IE

If you do change your mind and decide to go for fibre with Sagemcom router, pls do let me know and I'll gladly join you over Skype/Phone/whatever :).

Retro
Blackspot
Team Player

I am in the process of upgrading from TalkTalk ADSL (all the way to the exchange) to TalkTalk fibre (to the DP). I've just received a Sagemcom Fast 5364 and I connected it yesterday. I simply removed the previous TalkTalk Huawei router and replaced it with the 5364.

I connected my PC via an Ethernet cable and was able to log on immediately. I now have two devices connected by cable and there has been no problem. I didn't have to configure anything so if you can't connect it could be a faulty router. 

I changed the WLAN SSID and password to my previous settings and the 3 devices I had powered on all connected, 2 in the 2.4 GHz range and 1 in the 5GHz range. Windows 10 appeared to detect that the router had changed and requested the password again.

I liked having the various lights on the Huawei router to give an indication of what was happening on the network. With the 5364 you have to log on to check anything. A small backward step.

I was surprised to see that the firewall was set to medium when delivered which appears to leave a lot of ports open unnecessarily. I've changed it to high.

No problems so far and now I have to wait for the switch to fibre on 19th June.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @Blackspot

By all accounts you'll not have a wi-fi 'blackspot'... (ouch) and just like @Retro do keep us in touch with how the Wi-Fi Hub performs for you.  As with the firewall setting change you made, any changes you make to optimise its performance in your setup are always good to know.

Gondola - Community contributor

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Retro
Chatterbox

Thanks for sharing Blackspot.

New Sagemcom delivers similar light/activity indication as can be found on Plusnet and BT routers - one lamp that changes colour and either blinks or is steadily lit is everything that you will ever get. For (a bit) more information user would need to log in to the router and inspect various status lines.

Also agree that "medium" firewall settings are quite relaxed, "high" or "custom" would be recommended, that's how I've set mine as well.

Retro
Community Team
Hi Retro

How have you found the performance of the connection/router since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie
Retro
Chatterbox

Hi Debbie,

It's been a perfect start, could not have asked for more. Really pleased with the performance and stability of the connection and the WiFi. 

Btw, I've got an agent testing speed all the time in the background, so take a look at below picture. Both highlighted areas indicate very positive change in speed since I moved from Plusnet to TalkTalk two weeks ago. 

20180620-01.jpg

Retro
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Retro

That's great news, thanks for all your feedback 🙂

Debbie

Blackspot
Team Player

My broadband connection was upgraded by Open Reach on 19th without any problems. Very well done. The router was initially showing 40Mbps/10Mbps but has now changed to 38.7Mbps/10Mbps. That seems to be adequate for my use, at the moment, by some margin.

As for the router: The log appears to be difficult to use. If I ever needed to use it, I would probably want to look at the latest entries, or thereabouts. There don't appear to be any facilities to go to the end of the log or any other point in it. Just start at the beginning and plough through to the end (280 screens showing on mine, at the moment).

The router is also delivered with UPnP IGD active. The only device that I have using this is the TalkTalk Youview box. It appears that the router is delivered with a very open configuration, just to ensure it works, and it's up to the customer to turn off the features that they don't need.

Ian536
First Timer

That is very helpful. Do you know if you can assign a static IP address to a device connected to the router. I need to this as my iPad app can only communicate with the device by its IP.

Blackspot
Team Player

The DHCP pool on my router as delivered is set to 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.254. You should be able to configure a static IP address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.9 on any device on the LAN. I doubt if your DHCP pool needs to have 245 addresses so you could reduce it if you need more addresses.

Incidentally, my download speed has now dropped to 35 Mbps, which is still adequate. I don't know why it decreases after installation. Possibly because it's cutting out frequency ranges where there's interference? I hope it doesn't continue decreasing.

Ian536
First Timer

Thanks but do you know how I do this.

Blackspot
Team Player

I know how to do it on a Windows or Unix system, but not on an iPad.

Here's a link to an explanation on the web:

quicksetupguide.com/apple/ipadwifi4.htm

Everything is easy on Apple, isn't it? :winkingface:

Ian536
First Timer

I intend to set up the router on my windows computer. I.e create the static IP and the use it in the iPad app. How do Imdo this please.

Community Team