Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New fibre connection with Sagemcom Fast 5364

KeithFrench
Community Star

HI @Retro

@OCE_Debbie has asked me to help you. I need to read through all of the posts to see what the problem is & I'll try & get back to you later this afternoon.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Blackspot
Team Player

Here's a good explanation about IP configuration on a Windows 10 system.

https://pureinfotech.com/set-static-ip-address-windows-10/

It's not much different on Windows 7. Not sure about 8 but probably very similar.

Using the command line is good for looking at the current config.

I think it is easier to use the control panel to enter the new config.

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Retro / @OCE_Debbie

I am not really sure who wants help with what on here with numerous posters asking various questions. If the question is how to configure a static IP address on an Apple device, have a look at this site I found via Google:-

http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/19/manual-dhcp-static-ip-address-ios/

I can't help directly with Apple products, as I do not have any.

I have attached my guide on the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub (aka Sagemcom Fast 5364) for those who might find it useful.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

stuart_smiles1
Super Duper Contributor

in keiths document, attached to the previous post, (Talktalk Wifi Hub Sagemcom Fast 5326.pdf) it states "dhcp reservation may come in a future release" (page 26) - so that doesn't sound like you can give the ipad a specific address on the inside at present. best you can hope for is that it's on the majority of the time and keeps getting the same address. try to turn it on last in your network so that it doesn't get booted by new devices taking it's address, and see if you can up the aging for the dhcp reservations, however i don't have a sagem router to play with to tell you how to do it, however to be fair, Keith's document goes through lots of things, so perhaps he could add it in, or bend the ear of whoever is in charge of the developers' list of stuff to add in. 

Thanks Stuart
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Retro

Can't you assign a static IP address to an iPad as per my previous post though?

I have raised the lack of any DHCP reserved IP addresses with the developers, we'll just have to see what future firmware revisions bring.

Keith

Blackspot
Team Player

Did you configure a static IP address on your Windows PC?

I've included the link to the instructions again, in case you need it.

https://pureinfotech.com/set-static-ip-address-windows-10/

ToughTalk
Chatterbox

Quote: 'It picked up the signal from the exchange in no time and my new line was up and running with reported 40mbps/10mbps from the word "go". I did few tests over the WiFi and wire and got reasonable 36.5mbps/9.5mbps on average. Very pleased indeed.'

Hi Retro, I have followed your coverage of the Sagemcom Fast 5364 with interest and congratulate you on the way you set about this. Everything has been described so well that those who may be contemplating switching to this new hub should be impressed by your enthusiasm alone.

However, there is one thing I feel I do need to ask before making any commitment and that concerns the 40mbps you state you are getting. My fibre package guarantees a minimum download speed of 49.1mbps with a projected speed of 74.7mbps maximum. My upload speed of around 18mbps is much nearer the mark and I have no complaint about this. Can you confirm whether your package has a lower guaranteed performance? The reason I ask is because I have come to the end of the first year of a two year contract and have been lucky to get even near the figures you quote despite huge efforts on the part of TalkTalk to remedy this. An OpenReach engineer replaced the service cable from the cabinet to my master socket about 18 months ago and more recently an engineer replaced the old master socket with the latest NTE5C master socket. This did show a small improvement but not sufficient to provide the speed I expected.

I look forward to your reply.

To keep your brain alive never stop learning! 'Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever.' Mahatma Gandhi
paulshent
Community Star

I have same Sagemcom router as per above. The 40 meg speed shown via router admin gui is what your line is setup to recieve.  e.g your broadband speed is up to 40. I tested said unit on a line giving user 79mb download and it showed 80mb in gui.  This unit is capable of being used and fibre speed of 300 and above

Hennerry
Chatterbox
I've just read your very informative post. As my 5364 has arrived and I go live on 26/7 I set up following your guidelines. However, there is just one other point I, and possible others, would like to know is it possible to disable remote access to admin. I know it was possible on a TP-link I used to have.
KeithFrench
Community Star

This all depends on what you mean by remote access. Anyone trying to remotely access your router from the internet is blocked by default.

If you mean TalkTalk's remote access via their enhanced management to check stats & do firmware upgrades when they become available, that is allowed.

You cannot change either of these options.

Keith

Hennerry
Chatterbox
Hi Keith, thanks very much. That is exactly what I wanted to know, I wanted the peace of mind that 'naughties' couldn't access my router from the internet. Many routers don't give the option to block this. And I have no problem with talktalk having access for the reasons you stated.
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Hennerry

No problem, glad I was able to answer your question.

Keith

ToughTalk
Chatterbox

Quote: This all depends on what you mean by remote access. Anyone trying to remotely access your router from the internet is blocked by default.

I entirely agree with Keith. External access to your router is not possible (unless of course you are unwise enough to share it's password with others!)

To keep your brain alive never stop learning! 'Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever.' Mahatma Gandhi
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @ToughTalk

Remote access is blocked, it doesn't matter if someone else knows your admin password, as they won't even get a login screen.

Keith

paulshent
Community Star

Hi.  Everyone else replied to you. I agree with them.

In fact i even untick the box that stops TalkTalk accessing the box, unless i know they plan to upgrade firmware or ask for access.  Also if you want, then change the admin password from the standard supplied to a 25 character password.  Ok as long as you don't forget it of course

Otherwise as every one else stated. It's secure from remote logon.  Also rotate your passwords every 30 days if you want total security.  That goes for WIFI and Admin passwords.

paulshent
Community Star

Only if they know your wifi password as well plus the admin pwd. Then they will get access.

ToughTalk
Chatterbox

@KeithFrench wrote:

Hi @ToughTalk

Remote access is blocked, it doesn't matter if someone else knows your admin password, as they won't even get a login screen.

Interesting point and I stand corrected. 

Hennerry
Chatterbox

Hi to everyone.

Thanks to all who contributed to this post. It certainly put my mind at rest and I hope it will be of use to anyone who wasn't aware that remote access is blocked by default. It's a pity all routers aren't the same.

davecm
Conversation Starter

Hi.

Openreach replaced my master socket with type 5C Mk4 Saturday. Does the clip-on faceplate stay firmly attached on yours? Mine falls off if you touch the phone or router wires. The 2 clips either side don't lock in. Engineer had several goes at getting it to stay on, and said "that'll be fine" and left, and of course it's not fine!

I contacted Talktalk to get this fixed. They booked Openreach to come and replace it and they failed to turn up.

Attempts to re- book required a call-back from Philippines call centre within a pre-determined time window (not possible via chat), so 2 time windows on 2 different days came and went. No callback.

When I called them, 3 times different days, TT/Openreach call booking system was always down.

So 3 half days off work wasted. Hours spent on phone an chat. TT seemingly incapable of resolving the issue.

Resorting to duct tape to secure the faceplate.

If OCE reads this, maybe they have a way of escalating that's not available to call centres.

Not good enough Talktalk! Email me. I want it all in writing please.email address obscured for customer security

Rant over 🙂

Windows, Android, Synology NAS
davecm
Conversation Starter

Not being able to block remote access will be an issue for me. I had to do it on my Huawei HG635, as overnight test/updates always disconnect the carrier for 60 sec several times a week.

That causes my scheduled overnight cloud backups to fail, and that's a service I pay for and need to be reliable.

If it's true, I'll be sending Sagecom back for a refund. Would like to know if TT have any plans to change that in a future firmware update.

Windows, Android, Synology NAS