Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New line installed yesterday - High Ping

26 REPLIES 26
bev121
Participant

I have had TalkTalk fibre for around 7 months. I have moved home and had a new line installed at the new address yesterday.

When the installer came he said that the connection in the house would be great as it was new copper and we were right next to the cabinet. He said we were on an 80/20 service and he was getting readings saying that we should get 77 Mb/s down. 

After the install I asked if I could check the connection before he left and he waited by the door. I got 54 Mb/s using a CAT6 ethernet cable with WiFi off. The ping was 33 ms. He said, "That's cr*p", and had a puzzled look. He had the expression that said he should be doing something to rectify it but he was already on his way out.

He said if I try it on the master socket then it should be fine. He did not wait for me to try it on the master. I have since tried it and the download bandwidth has gone up to 65 Mb/s max, but nowhere near the 77 Mb/s he expected. 

What I am most worried about is the ping. It is between 22 and 33 ms on the master socket, using ethernet. Previously I was getting 7 - 11 ms at my old address. 22 ms ping is something I expect from virgin media's DOCSIS 3.0, not VDSL2.  

I play a lot of games and this ping is just not good enough. It has caused me to go from having a great in game ping to having a moderate one. People in game are now saying that I appear to be lagging around (Teleporting).

The engineer came very late in the time slot and did not set-up and test the modem on the master socket. I do not think he has done a good job to ensure everything was installed correctly. He seemed like he was in a rush to get out.

Community Team

Hi bev121,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

bev121
Participant

I have updated my profile with the details requested.

To avoid delay in possibly having to answer these questions later, I just want to say that the router is wired into my PC with CAT 6 cable. The WiFi is completed switched off as this connection will only be used for gaming. The router is connected to the test port of the master socket. I switched it off at 4 am this morning and left it for 30 minutes before switching on again. I wanted it to re-sync during the quiet hours to gets the best sync.

Thank you.

Community Team

Hi bev121

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. DLM will be monitoring the connection to get the best balance between stability and performance. 

I would suggest allowing DLM time to monitor the connection and adjust the profile.

Thanks

Debbie

bev121
Participant

I did ask the installer when he was here if there was training on the line over the next 14 days, but he said that is no longer done. You automatically go on the best settings.

If it is actually done, will this result in my ping being lowered?

It also doesn't explain the installers response of, 'That's cr*p', when he saw the speed test and his hesitation to leave but leaving anyway without testing on the master socket. I get the feeling he knew he should be doing more but left anyway.

When TalkTalk was first installed on at my old house 7 months ago, I was getting 7 -11 ms immediately after install and a consistent down speed. That's in line with what the installer said about there no longer being a testing period.

Community Team

Hi bev121

Apologies, I'm not sure why the engineer advised this as the line will go through a monitoring process once installed (DLM)

The sync speed also looks good. What speed are you receiving when running speed tests?

Thanks

Debbie

bev121
Participant

I understand how the DLM works. It is constantly monitoring connections, not just new ones. 

New lines were always 'trained' for 14 days to find the best settings for it. The installer said yesterday that there is no longer any training, the lines go onto the best settings and the DLM then adjusts as necessary. I found this strange as I still believed new lines were trained.

It does not appear that we have been placed onto the best settings as the ping is too high for VDSL2. The noise margin on the line is also 6.20 db which would not indicate it being on fastpath, which would be the best setting.

As for speed you requested, speedtest.net is currently giving a packet transit time of 22 ms to a very close UK server. This can be as high as 33 ms. VDSL2 should ideally be 7 -11 ms and this is exactly how it was before I moved house. I also have virgin media in my new house. TalkTalk is solely for gaming but at this moment Virgin is giving me better pings to the same server. Virign is 15 - 16 ms.

Virgin should be the worst performing of the two when it comes to speed, but at this moment it's better than TalkTalk. 

Virgin will have the greatest bandwidth but the worse ping. 

Community Team

Hi bev121,

On new connections DLM is generally set at the fastest speed and adjusts downward based on the number of disconnections and/or errors in a given amount of time, but this won't necessarily be a profile that gives the lowest ping (fastpath). We can't manually override the profile allocated by BT's DLM system

Chris

bev121
Participant

The ping is getting worse now. 51 ms and 49 ms at just after 4 am. It should not be this high on VDSL2. I've gone from 7 - 11 ms with TalkTalk at my old place, move house and now getting horrendous ping at the new place. I'd say anything above 15 ms on VDSL2 is cause for concern.

I've had the installer on the new line installation day say, 'That's Cra*p' in relation to the connection but do nothing to rectify it. He said it was a new build, with new copper and just across form the cabinet so the expectation was that it should be getting 77 Mb/s down. 

I can live with 60 Mb/s. I live live with 50 Mb/s and even 30 Mb/s but the ping at 50 ms is not acceptable.

This connection is only used for gaming. WiFi is off and connected via CAT 6 cable. The upload speed before seemed to always max out on a test, now it seems to be capped at 10 Mb/s with little burst during test were it is trying to go over 10 Mb/s.

Community Team

Hi bev121,

Could you run a wired ping and trace route please and post the results into the thread.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

bev121
Participant

Ran another test before I did the ping and traceroute to google. Got a 44 ms ping. I have also included the ping I now get in games. Image below.

In the image of the game ping you'll see network ping at 110 ms and an amber warning saying it is borderline. That ping with TalkTalk at my old address used to be around 50 - 60 ms to that server. Server latency was much lower too. 

The person who installed this line a few days ago should have set-up the modem for me and tested the connection. Instead they made a comment of, 'That's cr*p', after I asked them to wait while I set the modem up and tested it. 

They should have ensured it was connected to the master socket, checked for bad connections and had the DLM reset. Really not happy with this install.

Capture.PNG

Game ping.png

bev121
Participant

Can you also please explain what the amber symbol means when I look at my connection in the TalkTalk service centre?

talktalk.png

Community Team

Hi bev121,

Could you try pinging and trace the game server as the trace routes to google look ok? If you run a speed test what speeds do you receive? What symptoms are you seeing when gaming?

The line test is also clear and the connection stats look ok.

Thanks

bev121
Participant

The game developer does not publish the servers IP addresses so can't do a traceroute. 

I'm just going to leave the modem switched on and tucked away in a corner for two weeks to see if the DLM decides to give me the profile I had at my old house.

I won't be using the service over that time. I'll just use my Virgin Media connection for the next two weeks as it is giving better pings than this new TalkTalk line. If it hasn't sorted itself within two weeks, then I'll call up to cancel.

Are you able to tell me what, if any, interleaving there is on my line? The ping is suggesting there is currently interleaving. If there is, can you tell me what the interleaving depth is? Thanks

P.S. Also, please explain why I am getting these IGMP requests every few seconds since the modem was first switch on at the new house? I only have the PC connected to it and even when it's not connected (enet cable removed from modem) it still gets these requests. 

IGMP.PNG

Community Team

Hi bev121,

Ok, please let us know how the connection compares over the next week. This is currently on interleaved at the moment, unfortunately we don't have any control over this as this is determined by DLM and the stability/errors on the line. Hopefully this will adjust over the next few days.

The requests above look like they are related to the pings and trace routes.

Thanks

bev121
Participant

I'll let you know what it's like in two weeks.

Now that I know there is interleaving on the line, that explains the comment from the installer of, 'That's crap' and the look he had before he left. The look which said, 'Oh, I should do something here', but he was already half way out the door. As he was leaving he told me to plug it into the other socket and it should be fine.

He's messed up this install by not connecting the modem up to the master socket and requesting a DLM reset.

Me having to disconnect it from what turned out to be an extension socket and connecting it to the master socket myself, has caused me to lose any chance of going on fastpath. Now I'll be stuck with some form of interleaving until such times that there is a catastrophic issue that requires an engineer visit, at which time they could request a DLM reset.

This sucks. Absolute waste of money.

P.S. The IGMP requests have nothing to do with pings and trace routes. It believe it has something to do with peripherals connected to the modem. Like IPTV boxes for TalkTalk TV, but I don't have any of those connected. Just wondering why the modem is getting those requests every second of everyday since the line was installed.

Community Team

Hi bev121,

Could you bump your thread on Monday and we can re-check how the connection stats compare over from over the weekend. We can also check the stability and if there are any errors on the line.

Thanks

bev121
Participant

I will, thanks.

The modem will be left powered on and connected to the master socket but not used by any PC over the weekend. Lets see what it's like on Monday.

Community Team
bev121
Participant

I'm bumping this up as per your request. Can you tell me how the line is looking on your end what interleaving there is?

Nothing seems to have changed. Noise margins are still the same and ping is still too high to game with.