Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New "phone line"

32 REPLIES 32
Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

long story short, I called to cancel my service and they said is there anyway we can keep you as a customer?  I said yes if you install a new phone line into my house as it's old. They said yes no problem. I have an engineer visit for the 20th august. Can I get confirmation that I am indeed getting a new phone line and not just an engineer visit to setup broadband (which I already have with talktalk) the old phone line taken out and a new phone line installed? It all seemed a bit quick thats all. Thank you gareth

Gareth wigglesworth
ferguson
Community Star

Technically you can install as many "new" phonelines as you like, but they will all come down the existing wiring, poles, ducting etc. it will not change anything in infrastructure terms. It may be that the connections into and within your home could be improved, but that is another matter. I am not sure what you have signed up to exactly, if you want further advice from the TalkTalk support team you will have to wait until they are back online on Monday.

Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

The external phone line that comes into the house is what I want replaced. It's from the 1970s. (Telephone pole wiring) I just want confirmation that it is indeed being replaced. I don't wish to talk about the technicalities. No offence 

Gareth wigglesworth
ferguson
Community Star

None taken. They are not going to replace the existing line.

Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

I was told that is what is going to happen. Where did you find that information?

Gareth wigglesworth
ferguson
Community Star

Um, where did you find the information otherwise?

Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

Customer services who else?  ... I called to leave they said if you stay we will give you a new phone line installation. I had it confirmed by a woman from India and a woman in the UK. But I still want confirmation as it was too quick. For e.g ok no problem we will do that 

Gareth wigglesworth
Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

If I may put in my tuppence worth:-

TalkTalk TT Customer services tend to promise the world, but often that turns out very different (many examples over the years on these very boards). They may well change the dropwire, but may also charge you ~£150 (maybe less) - though you'd have to argue this with TT as you've been led to believe they would absorb the cost.

That being said and emphasising this was strongly refuted by a commentator on the BT forums some years back, I was under the impression that any non-current-spec dropwire/line was supposed (and I emphasise that word) to be replaced by a current-spec one, but how and under what scenario escape me!

By 1970's wire, I assume you mean either two separate bare wires or two insulated 'figure of 8' wires (I think both types used copper, copper-cadmium, or even copper-covered-steel as the conductor material) - not exactly ideal for normal BB, less so for Fibre BB (though one person found they got full speed fibre speeds and no interleaving while having the old-type dropwire!)

Be aware, be very aware is my advice to you.

Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

Very insightful, I'm not too worried tho as I start a new contract on the day I'm supposedly getting a new line, And i have 30days to leave. If it's not resolved I will simply leave. No skin off my nose. I called to leave anyway. Again that's a very insightful reply and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Gareth 

Gareth wigglesworth
martswain
Philosopher

Unless the line is faulty it is highly unlikely that the cable will be REPLACED.

Is your order actually for a completely NEW LINE and NUMBER or just an upgrade to fibre with a vague promise that the current physical line will be replaced ?

Unless you move to a true fibre provider, leaving TT for another ISP will just mean taking that issue with you UNLESS the cable is identified as faulty.

Martin
Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

I have talktalk already. They are sending out an engineer on the 20th august. To replace the line. They know i have talktalk already so why would they send an engineer if it wasn't for a new line. It must be a line replacement as it says in an email that £130 is covered for installation. I just want to know if the openreach guy will pull out the old phone line and install a new one. If not what is the £130 For and what is his purpose coming out. I will go with virgin if it is not replaced, as my contract runs out the day I supposedly get a new phone line. I live in the countryside (a village) and the telephone pole says 1976 on it. But the street was dug up in 2012 for fibre. So the cabinet is 8 years old but the telephone pole wiring is 43 years old pushing 50. It's weird because on then phone I was promised numerous times I would get a new line but on here peiple say unlikely. I'm still none the wiser. I asked on here as I'm sceptical myself, even tho i was promised it. She said all calls are recorded and i took her name. She is from the Nottingham call centre, I put her on loud speaker and recorded her on my gfs phone confirmimg that a new external phone line into the house was being replaced. So I will let the openreach guy listen if he refuses to install a line. If he still doesn't then I'll write to Ofcom/openreach/talktalk with the recording on a usb stick and a covering letter explaining my frustration. All I'm asking for is a 44 year old line be replaced with a new one. Again, why would the openreach guy be coming out if not to replace the line? I have an active line already 

Gareth wigglesworth
ferguson
Community Star

It might be helpful to rewind a bit and understand what the issue is and what it is you are hoping to achieve by installing a "new" line. At best I can only imagine this will be the drop wire from the pole to your property, although that may be sufficient to help with any incipient problems. And could of course be repaired if that is indeed where the issue lies without need of a new number. In essence I am confused as to what this installation purports to be solving.

Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

It has algae/moss all over it. That is why  iam getting so many errors on my connection. Can't be the cabinet as it's relatively new. And can't be over subscribed as only 7 houses here in the sticks. It's the 43 year old phone line from the pole into my house. Watching Netflix YouTube or Amazon prime buffers. I have posted my stats in the past and people say they are fine. 

Gareth wigglesworth
Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

"Unless the line is faulty it is highly unlikely that the cable will be REPLACED." <== To be very fair, that's extremely likely to be the case. But they really ought to replace a dropwire from the 70's (esp. if it has moss on it!) even if just to proactively reduce the risk of inferior BB performance.

They replaced ours in 1991, and I'm in the sticks compared to other areas!

Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

My brothers line is from 1991 and he has no issues with buffering or errors accumulating. A 43 year old line should be replaced my default, the fact that it is 43 years old. A 28 year old line should be replaced in my opinion also. Every 10 years if it was up to me. But a line that will be 50 in 7 years is undesirable. There is a green structure growing on it. The type that grows on headstones in graveyards from the 19th century. Where you have to rub it to reveal the date of birth and death. The UK essentially makes a wedding cake and takes a dump on it. The cake being fibre cabinets up and down the country but does not update the line from the cabinet into the home. The structure is their but it's missing that vital last jigsaw piece. Phone lines into people's homes are very old. 

Gareth wigglesworth
ferguson
Community Star

@Sidious wrote:

"Unless the line is faulty it is highly unlikely that the cable will be REPLACED." <== To be very fair, that's extremely likely to be the case. But they really ought to replace a dropwire from the 70's (esp. if it has moss on it!) even if just to proactively reduce the risk of inferior BB performance.

They replaced ours in 1991, and I'm in the sticks compared to other areas!

They replaced your line even though it wasn't faulty?

ferguson
Community Star

@Gareth1986 wrote:

My brothers line is from 1991 and he has no issues with buffering or errors accumulating. A 43 year old line should be replaced my default, the fact that it is 43 years old. A 28 year old line should be replaced in my opinion also. Every 10 years if it was up to me. But a line that will be 50 in 7 years is undesirable. There is a green structure growing on it. The type that grows on headstones in graveyards from the 19th century. Where you have to rub it to reveal the date of birth and death. The UK essentially makes a wedding cake and takes a dump on it. The cake being fibre cabinets up and down the country but does not update the line from the cabinet into the home. The structure is their but it's missing that vital last jigsaw piece. Phone lines into people's homes are very old. 

If your external line is affected by wear and age and is service affecting then yes, it should be replaced. Not by a "new phone line" though.whatever that may be.

Gareth1986
Conversation Starter

You dont know what I mean by external phone line? I think we would clash if we ever met, to say the least.

Gareth wigglesworth
Sidious
Super Duper Contributor

Yes they changed ours (the whole local area in fact), even though it was quite clear (no crackles or unhealthy noises) and didn't seem to be faulty in anyway (I was 15 years old then, though I'd love to say I hadn't been born at the time!).

Of course, it was a different time then - money and profits seem to be above all else nowadays (worse than some 20-30 years back)

ferguson
Community Star

@Gareth1986 wrote:

You dont know what I mean by external phone line? I think we would clash if we ever met, to say the least.

Yes I think I do. And that is sad.