Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

No internet connection - "The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36"

24 REPLIES 24
Bollard
Popular Poster

Hi all,

Came home yesterday evening after work to find my internet connection has dropped. Checking in the logs I saw a stream of error messages which started yesterday morning:

The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36

I tried all the usual turning the router on and off and resetting to factor defaults. Nothing

Today been on chat twice to two different support agents. Both have told me there is an error on the line, but when they've tried to book an engineer both have said their is an error on their system preventing them from doing so and for me to try again later. Very frustrating.

Is there some issue with the Openreach system? Or taking a step back, any new buggy firmware?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Bollard 

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Bollard
Popular Poster

Thanks Both,

Keith - Understood. Was just hoping for a fresh pair of eyes as the two different agents I've spoken to on chat have been rather useless. Have setup all my profile.

Debbie - Thanks for getting back to me - now just rather bemused as like I say, the two agents both said there was a fault on the line requiring an engineer call out... I don't have another router but do have a telephone I could plug in if that helps?

Cheers

OCE_Michelle

Hi Bollard,

Thanks. I've asked our Network Team if they can have a look and I'll let you know as soon as I know more. Just to confirm, do you have a dial tone?

Thanks

Bollard
Popular Poster

Thanks Michelle,

Yes I have a dial tone and (after some time on the phone last night) am now currently waiting for an Openreach engineer. Will keep you updated.

Cheers

OCE_Michelle

Hi Bollard,

Thanks for the update. I've also just received an update back from our Network Team to advise that they have passed this on to a different team to look into as they can see an error. They have advised that this may not resolve/be linked to this fault, however they want to clear this anyway just to make sure. We can check this again on Monday for you if you could please bump your thread.

Also please let us know how you get on with the engineer.

Thanks

Bollard
Popular Poster

Hi Michelle,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

So, after staying at home last Friday no engineer turned up. Long story short, there was (is?) some service outage preventing Openreach engineers being booked through their systems, so the TalkTalk agent did it "manually" (?). Seemed to work as I got a text from Openreach, but turns out the engineer was only ever going to the exchange and never intended to come to the property. Sigh.

After a long back and forth on Friday and Saturday was basically told to wait and see as Openreach has said they'd fix it in 72 hours. Outage began early hours last Wednesday morning and finally came back sometime on Tuesday. Great!

Yesterday, got a followup call from TalkTalk and confirmed everything was OK and wanted to discuss compensation. On opening my account, the agent was very puzzled and told me I am somehow on the wrong package on their system. I honestly don't understand but sounds like on the TalkTalk system I have the wrong (ADSL?) or no package (?) yet I am somehow getting fibre (and have been for months before this issue started).

Agent wanted to reprovision my line - basically a new order where my current connection would be cut and I would then have a new order placed. I said no. My internet is working and didn't want to risk any further outages. Plus, this seems very much like a TalkTalk problem, not mine.

I was then passed to another agent, who said actually that previous agent was misinformed. Everything was fine. No action required. Fine.

Today, receive another call and the agent insists my package is wrong and wants me to agree to this reprovisioning. He has not further information and the whole situation is still incredibly unclear to me.

I'm now very confused. I transferred to TalkTalk months ago, have been billed and received fibre. They seem to think that's impossible. Would really appreciate if any light could be shed on this. Noone seems to be able to explain exactly what is going. Just when I thought the issue was resolved...

Thanks

OCE_Chris

Hi Bollard,

I'm sorry about the confusion.

Do you currently have a working Internet connection? If you do then what speeds are you getting?

Chris

Bollard
Popular Poster

Morning Chris,

Yep - connected since Tuesday at 40Mbps down (i.e. definitely fibre). So really have no idea what's going on...

Thanks

OCE_Debbie

Hi Bollard

If your line is in sync at 40mb then this is a fibre connection.

Thanks

Debbie

Bollard
Popular Poster

Agreed - but the agents are insistent there is an issue on the TalkTalk side that requires my line to be ceased and a new order placed, but don't really have a coherent explanation as to why. Its almost as though from their end, it doesn't look like I should have any connection?

OCE_Karl

Hi

Your customer service account shows the package as fibre.  The orders on the account to provide fibre have completed.

Our network system however shows no details for your line - for fibre.  If I search for the previous ADSL connection then I can see this, with authentication logs showing you are connecting and authenticating on the fibre port. So in a nutshell, you are connected to fibre just that the fibre circuit details are not showing in our network system.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Bollard
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Thanks for looking into this and shedding some light on the situation. Couple of questions.

First, you mention "previous ADSL connection" (something an agent also mentioned) - but I've never had an ADSL connection at this property, not with TalkTalk nor any other provider. I transferred to the TalkTalk fibre package from Vodafone fibre. Where is this ADSL connection coming from?

Second, any idea how this situation would arise and advice on what I should do? From my point of view, I currently have a working fibre connection so I am reluctant to agree to re-provisioning as that will leave me without internet for a period of time (again). Can't really see the benefit from my side to resolve what seems to be an issue / bug in TalkTalk's systems?

Thanks

OCE_Karl

Hi

When you connect to us, your line is connected first as ADSL until the Openreach engineer then moves this across to the fibre port.  Now this may only be for 30 minutes or so whilst the connection is being implemented but it does create an initial ADSL record.  This gives us the ability to look at these details and bring up authentication logs from our radius server.   This is where I can currently see that authentication is being made onto the fibre port rather than our MSAN.  So although you have never had an ADSL service from us, your line was actually connected as ADSL for a very brief moment.

Now, with the reprovision side of things, I'll ask our network teams if there is any way to update our network system without the need for this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Bollard
Popular Poster

Hi Karl,

Thanks for that. Really appreciate the explanation. That makes sense.

Is it likely this was a result of the work Openreach were doing to doing to fix the original fault (the disconnection and reconnection not being properly handled by TalkTalk's systems?) or was my network account always setup this way and its only now we're noticing?

Appreciate you following up with the network team.

Thanks

OCE_Karl

Hi

I suspect this was triggered by the original order in our network system not completing correctly due to the delay with Openreach.  I've asked if EAS - they are a higher level network team that looks after network integration with our systems can have a look at this.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Bollard
Popular Poster

Thanks Karl. Refreshing to have some coherent explanations of the situation. Appreciate your help with this one and looking forward to hearing what EAS have to say

OCE_Karl

Hi

I've received a reply from our networks teams.  This is actually part of an incident that is being investigated. A couple of other fibre circuits have also not registered correctly in the system so they are looking into this now.

They have advised that physically, your connection is connecting correctly as fibre and it is just a system issue.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Bollard
Popular Poster

Great. Thanks for following up Karl.

In that case I'll resist any attempts to reprovision my line and wait for the issue you mentioned to be investigated further / resolved. Appreciate if you could keep me posted.

Cheers