would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

No internet for 8 days please help

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Linford316
Chatterbox

We have now been without broadband for 8 days. My husband and I are both secondary  teachers, and often are required to work from home. Due to GDPR regulations, we are not permitted to manually transport data so are required to use the school’s OneDrive storage cloud. We have therefore been unable to do our job properly for 8 days as we are unable to access the files we need.

We have also been unable to access other internet dependent services we pay for and are both going to need to pay for additional data on our mobile phone networks.

We first spoke to someone about this on Monday 25th November who assured us our connections were fine and it was a problem with the modem. We were initially told a new modem would cost us £60! Eventually, someone agreed to send this out at no cost, but lo and behold, when it arrived it wasn’t actually a problem with the modem. We experienced exactly the same issue. I know from community Facebook hubs that MANY others were told the same thing and sent new modems. What an irresponsible waste of money from a national company. I sincerely hope that this isn’t an attempt to prevent the compensation for loss of service starting at the date it is meant to- the outage was NEVER to do with our faulty equipment so the start date of our loss of service REMAINS Sunday 24th November- that was when you stopped providing the service we pay for so we expect to be compensated from this date.

We have made countless phone calls since. We were told on the Tuesday (26th) that the problem was with the connection and an OpenReach engineer would be sent to look at the issue within 3 days! This is unacceptable! We have been told on a number of occasions since, via text, that the problem has been fixed. However, we have had no internet at any point during this time. One can only, cynically perhaps, wonder whether this is, again, an attempt to avoid paying the full compensation deserved. 

The communication during this time has been abysmal. Every time we call, we have to wait for a very long time and then go through all initial checks again. It is not just our house with the issue, as I can see from the Facebook community hubs- many homes in the area are without internet and have been for the same length of time. Will you be compensating us all on the wasted internet-reliant services we’ve been unable to access during this time? The additional data we’ve needed to buy?

No one seems to be treating the issue with any urgency or making any real attempts to fix the problem. I’ve had no real update. All I seem to have experienced are attempts to limit or prevent any compensation being paid.

Please advise urgently.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Linford316

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Divsec
Community Star

Hi @Linford316 welcome to the community your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day. In the meantime please check your community profile and add your landline phone number if necessary it is used to identify your account.

Your message doesn't give much of a clue as to what's occuring, are there any lights showing on the hub? Flashing or not?

It might be that in the future you could be better served with a business account?

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Highlighted
Linford316
Chatterbox

We’ve had a solid orange light on the router since last Sunday night. They said it was the modem first so replaced it but exact same thing happening with new one. It’s definitely a problem in the area as many others are having exact same issue. I just don’t understand how it can take so long to fix.

Highlighted
Linford316
Chatterbox

It’s updated. 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Linford316

Thanks for updating your Community Profile.

Your line is showing in sync. What lights are showing on the router? What happens when you try to connect wired?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Linford316
Chatterbox

I’ve already explained in a previous post. It’s insulting that you’re still trying to blame my equipment and line. It’s a problem at the exchange- 1000s of TalkTalk customers are affected. The ‘customer service’ advisors have tried to blame OpenReach but all my neighbours who weren’t stupid enough to join TalkTalk have full working fibre broadband. I’m sick of the lies and the excuses and the feigning ignorance. We’ve had a solid orange light on the router Sunday 24th November. At no point since has our internet been working, wired or otherwise. I’ve been forced to switch provider because of TalkTalk’s abysmal customer service. I genuinely don’t know how you still have any customers- I’ll be advising anyone I can to avoid you like the plague. 

Highlighted
Divsec
Community Star

Hi sorry things aren't working out for you. does your last post mean that you no longer require assistance?

Either way the OCE team can only help you if you answer their questions.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Highlighted
martswain
Philosopher

There is no compensation for being unable to work on a home broadband contract.

Is your phone working ?

Martin
Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Linford316,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've re-checked this again and I can see that this is linked to an open incident which is under investigation with Openreach. I'm sorry I can't provide any further updates at the moment until we receive an update following their investigations.

Thanks

Highlighted
Linford316
Chatterbox

There is an automatic £8 per day compensation awarded for every day without service 48 hours after first reporting the fault. That has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with a business account.

We’ve paid for a service we haven’t been receiving. As a result, we’ve had to buy more mobile data and been unable to access Wi-fi enabled services we’ve paid for during this time. We were without internet for 12 days. We pay for sky boxsets (unable to download) amazon prime (unable to stream) Netflix (unable to stream) hive (unable to control). We were unable to access these services for almost half a month, despite paying for them. 

During this time, TalkTalk denied that there was a problem despite our local Facebook community hub being full of problems with the service. They blamed our hardware. They blamed where we plugged the modem in. They got us to unscrew our phone connections. They wasted money and our planet’s resources sending us, and hundreds of others, a new modem. They refused to help us or give us an estimated date for repair. They tried to charge us £60 for a new modem. They’ve tried to charge us early exit fees. They treated every phone call, chat or Facebook message as a new issue and I had to go through all initial steps again. They’ve cost me ££s on extra data and phone call costs.

I really hope people find this via Google and realise TalkTalk is not a sensible option for a Broadband provider and go elsewhere. 

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

Did you read the post previous to yours which explained that there was an Openreach issue?

Highlighted
Linford316
Chatterbox

Did you read my post yesterday TELLING THEM that there was a problem at the exchange?? I’m fully aware there’s a problem at the exchange. I’ve had to call Openreach myself to find that out, long before they posted that information. 

Highlighted
ferguson
Community Star

OK, so how do you imagine an Openreach problem at the exchange could be resolved by switching to another ISP on the same network? I do sympathise and understand your frustration of course, but we are dealing with a fundamentally poor infrastructure at the end of the day.

Highlighted
Linford316
Chatterbox

After switching, it’s resolved. I recommend that anyone Googling a TalkTalk issue and considering using a different Broadband provider goes with their gut and don’t risk it.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Linford316,

I'm sorry to hear that you've decided to leave but I'm glad to hear that it's now working again, if you do need any further assistance before you leave please let us know, we'll be happy to help

Chris