cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not Faster Fibre - TalkTalk measured Speed Today: 80 Mb but ACTUAL speed around 28 - 33mbps

58 REPLIES 58
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Your Speed to your Router  (according to Talk Talk)

Estimated Speed: 72 Mb - 80 Mb, Measured Speed Today: 80 Mb

My actual speed tests range from 28mbps to 33mbps for the past couple of days.  It has been slowing for some time but I didn't have the will to do anything about it until now.

My router is a Huawei-HG633 and its software is up to date.

Historical tests shown below.

Speed Test Capture.JPG

I clear my browsing data regularly and reset the router from time to time but the speed hasn't improved.

Figgis
Highlighted
Community Star

Speed tests are not the same as the router's downstream line rate which TalkTalk are referring to. Please can you log into your router & check your downstream line rate there. What  sort of connections to the router do your devices use, wired or wireless? If both is wired faster than wireless?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thank you for your reply. I only do speed tests if my system is slow. Delays accessing websites is my bugbear as is buffering when I watch a programme on the laptop. What is the point in having superfast fibre if accessing websites is super slow.

I have logged in with the Router user and admin password found on the back.  It shows 5 devices connected wirelessly plus 1 Hive connected by Ethernet.  Line rates below.

Downstream line rate (kbit/s): 79650
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):  20000

I use all my devices wirelessly as the speed test shows in makes very little difference when I connect with a wire. The Router is close to where I use the devices. This was confirmed by a Talk Talk engineer when I last had major speed problems. That was April/May 2019 and I had a new test socket fitted back then and a loose wire outside reconnected by an Open Reach engineer. 

How can there be such a disparity between the router stats and the speed tests.

Figgis
Highlighted
Community Star

If wired & wireless speed tests are both slow, then there may be a problem with your router.

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Figgis

I'm sorry to hear this.

The line tests have not detected any faults and your line is showing in sync at 78.4mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

OCE_Debbie

Thanks for replying. I didn't know if 'powering down' meant switching the router off by unplugging it from the power supply or  pressing the router reset button until all the lights turned off and leaving it off, I decided to do the latter and left it off for about 45 minutes.  I carried out numerous sped tests on  https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/ so you should be able to see the results  The speed seems to be about 42-45 mbps which is much better than this past few days.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis

Thanks for trying this.

Just switching the router off at the wall (power) for 30 minutes will be fine.

Was the last speed test a wireless speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

It was wireless as I can't find the ethernet cable but I'm still looking. Last time I had problems the speed test results were almost the same wired or wireless. It was less than 1mbps difference. My laptop and router are about 2 - 3 feet apart. 

I just carried out another wireless test and it was 40.7.  Do you have visibility of my results carried out on your website speedtest.

Later update at 3.40

Just done a few more tests, still wireless, and the tests are around 71mbps. Have you tweaked my settings or connections.

Later still: tests from Ookla history, the latest test was a wired one.

Speedtest Capture.JPG

Figgis

Hi Figgis

Thanks for your reply.

No we have not made any changes to any settings, I only completed a line test earlier today.

Powering down the router for a full 30 minutes can often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I was told by a TT engineer that I should not unplug the router from the power supply. I should only use the reset button and leave it off for several  minutes before turning it on again with the reset button.

Does that advice not apply any longer?

What is the estimated guaranteed speed for my connection?

I'm so pleased that my connection is back to a good speed and hope it remains so. I wasn't able to connect to a few sites this morning, ones like the iPlayer, LBC, Twitter and the Met Office  site.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis,

You don't need to unplug the router from the power supply you just need to switch it off using the on/off button. We ask you to switch the router off for 30 minutes when experiencing problems, as this forces a new session (just switching the router off and back on again doesn't do this)

I've sent you a PM, if you could reply to my PM I'll let you know what your guaranteed minimum speed is

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

OCE_Chris  I provided the personal information you requested in the PM.

My speed was fine yesterday and was good last night when tested, 68/70mbps. Today, the speed is down to around 40mbps. See table below:

Speedtest Capture.JPG

Where do we go from here.

08.42pm Update

Latest tests (below) are about the same as last night and around the maximum for my connection. So, why the low speeds today and the very low ones that prompted me to post on this forum. I'm still using the same laptop and router and have not changed any settings.

We recorded your speed as

DownloadUpload

69767 KBits/s(8720.875 KBytes/s)
18560 KBits/s(2320 KBytes/s)

We recorded your speed as

DownloadUpload

71333 KBits/s(8916.625 KBytes/s)
18573 KBits/s(2321.625 KBytes/s)

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis,

Thanks for the PM, I've replied with your guaranteed minimum speed

When the speed test showed a low speed were any of your other devices accessing the Internet? Could one of your other devices have been downloading an update for instance?

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I use my laptop all the time but was only browsing on it around the time I was checking the speed. I don't download much but I  watch TV content on iPlayer and other TV players, usually very late at night. I have a phone but wasn't using it. The same with my tablet. The only connection used all the time is the Hive heating control and that is an Ethernet connection.  My smart TV is not usually in use for the smart feature as I prefer to watch my missed programmes on the laptop late at night.

When I switched my laptop off the night of 11/2 it was upper 60s, there was a windows update that was ready to download as I was switching off, it finished downloading and I switched off. When I switched on the following morning the speed had decreased to about 40 as shown in this chart and stayed low all day.Speedtest Capture.JPG

? Why is the speed fluctuating so much when my use is pretty regular.

? Why do some sites buffer when I access them. It was that problem that prompted me to post this speed problem on 09 Feb.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis,

Thanks for the information 

Any device connected to your router whether connected by Ethernet cable or wifi can affect speed test results if an application on the device is either downloading or uploading, so this is generally the first place to look if you're throughput speeds are fluctuating but sync speed is stable. We generally recommend switching off other devices when running speed tests just to make sure

If you usually switch off your smart TV with the remote control, putting it into standby, then it may be worth switching it off at the plug for a couple of minutes if you haven't done this recently 

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

OCE__Chris

I use an old non smart TV most of the time as the picture is better on it. As I haven't switched my smart TV off at the plug for months why does that not cause slow speeds all the time. Remember my connection achieved 69/70mbps some of the time.  I have few wireless devices compared to households with children. The speed fluctuates even though I'm using the same devices in the same way.

To test your theory, I have unplugged the Hive hub and the smart TV from the power supply and the speed tests are still low. The wifi on the phone and tablet is off so my laptop is the only connection.

From the Router page.

1 day 15 hours 30 minutes

Wireless Devices: 1     Connected devices: 1

Today's test results. All the devices disconnected at about 13.30. This has made no difference to the results.  Something else is the problem and it seems to be outside my control. 

Speedtest.JPG

From the Router page.

1 day 15 hours 30 minutes

Wireless Devices: 1     Connected devices: 1

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis,

Thanks for trying that

As your throughput speeds are still fluctuating but the sync speed is fine I can only really suggest arranging another visit from one of our engineers to investigate further - would you like us to arrange this?

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I had to go through all of this last April/May with a Talk Talk engineer and OpenReach attending. It was very tedious. I see on other posts that channel changes are mentioned and trying other routers. That has not been mentioned to me. I would like the engineer/s visit to be the last resort.

This mornings tests are low to mid 40s and that has been the case for two days with just three tests in the upper 60s and a few in the 30s. That's out of twenty tests. I now have the Hive heating control connected by ethernet and that hasn't changed the speed so it's staying connected. 

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis, as the synch is at the max 80mpbs I have to ask if you're connected to the router with ethernet cable when you're running the speedtests. If you aren't please do run some and let us know how you get on. 

Wifi channels for 2.4ghz are set to automatic and 5ghz set to a fixed channel.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

OCE_Ady

I don't understand if the channels are OK or not. Why is 2.4ghz set to auto and 5ghz to fixed. What is the difference between the two. Do the channels do different things. I thought all channels were set to auto so the less busy channels are used automatically.

The earlier speed tests were a mixture of wireless connection and Ethernet connection. Very little difference between them as the laptop is only a few feet from the router. The recent tests have all been wired connections. The speed is 40 or over and stable, and I don't get buffering when I access websites so there has been an improvement since I contacted you on the 8th Feb.

I did some wired tests this morning before going out and the speeds were early 40s. When I returned home later I carried out more tests still wired and the speed had increased to 59 and then went higher still. The last 2 tests were carried out on wireless. I don't know why the speed increased after lunch as I used the same laptop with only the Hive Ethernet connection - as I have done since yesterday. Speedtest Capture.JPG

Figgis