cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not Faster Fibre - TalkTalk measured Speed Today: 80 Mb but ACTUAL speed around 28 - 33mbps

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

I'm detecting wifi interfernce on nearly ll channels around you.

I've separated the wifi channels, the 5Ghz channel will now end with a '1' but the password is sill the same.

Try connecting your device to the 2.4Ghz wifi and run a speed test, then the 5Ghz wifi and run a test and see if one is better than the other.

You should use our own speed test so theresults can be logged and if any difficulty, you can use this test as a bck up : Sam Knows Speed Test

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Since contacting you last I have had quite good speeds and they had been good for a couple of days. 

I have used the Talk Talk speed tests regularly but also used Ookla as that gives me a record.

Speed tests done on Sam Knows tonight:

5Ghz channel ending with a '1'

I carried out about 6 tests on this connection the last 3 wired the others wireless. The speeds were reasonable but not as good as the speed over the past few days.

2.4Ghz wifi channel connection ending in '0'

The 5 or 6 test run on this were pretty bad.

I carried out several tests on https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/ and they confirm the tests done on Sam Knows. Tests on 2.4Ghz were slow but on 5Ghz were reasonable.

?? Why do you not use a test site where we both have a history we can refer to. That's why I like using Ookla.

?? Has my router used both channels. up to now, depending on the traffic, or what is the point of both channels.

?? are both channels now set on auto or is 5Ghz set to fixed.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi

5Ghz is currently set to auto. The 2Ghz is on a fixed channel but you can log into the router and change the channel to see if this will give improvement.

There are a lot of wifi signals around you so there is the chance of interferance. 

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Chat Champion

I'm confused by the range of speeds without anything being changed

2.3Ghz channel connection ending '0' (TT said set to fixed)

I have just carried out 3 speed tests and the result was in the 70s, the highest was 75mbps. That was on connection ending '0'.  I then carried out 3 further tests and they were in the 30s. That was on the same connection. Why the much lower speeds on the last 3 tests.

5.0Ghz Connection ending  '1'   (TT set to auto)

This would seem to be the best channel and setting.

I carried out 6 tests. The result was 71, 64, 69, 69, 70, 71. All great results and what you guarantee.

You said the 2.4Ghz connection is set to fixed. I have just looked at the wireless settings and both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz settings are ticked. On the Advanced settings, they are both set to auto. From this experiment it would seem channel 5 on Auto is the best.

A question for you.  If both channels are ticked and on auto doesn't my router decide which channel is best to use and I don't need to choose or change anything. Therefore there would be no need to leave both login connections nor would I have to do any changes in the wireless settings page of the router.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis,

If the band is set to auto it will only select the best channel when the router is rebooted, it doesn't continually monitor for interference and automatically adjust channels throughout the day. So if you reboot the router and it selects channel 1, it will stay on channel 1 until the router is rebooted again.

If the speed is fluctuating on the 2.4GHz band but not on the 5GHz band it looks as though there may be intermittent interference on the 2.4GHz band 

Chris

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Oce_Chris

Well, I never. I didn't know that. I thought 'auto' meant the channel with the least traffic was selected all the time. Thanks for the explanation.

How do I stay on Channel 5 as that gives the best results for my connection. If you remove the channel split and I am left with one log in only. do I remove the tick in Enable Wireless 2.4Ghz in Wireless Settings and leave 5Ghz selected.

Please tell me what I must do to retain the good connection.

Figgis
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Figgis 

Chris is correct where Auto is concerned on the Huawei HG633, you would need the Sagemcom to have auto channel selection rescan channels several times a day looking for the least congested channel (they call it channel-hopping). You should never use channel 5 though, only channels 1, 6 & 11 as they are the only non-overlapping channels. 

Don't take my word for this, it is covered in these articles:-

http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

http://boundless.aerohive.com/experts/WLAN-Channels-Explained.html

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@KeithFrench 

By channel 5 do you mean the 5Ghz frequency band.  Oce_Karl asked me to test the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz frequencies only.  I may have called them channels through lack of knowledge.

You say only channels 1, 6 & 11 should be used. I have no idea how channels are selected manually as Chris set up two wireless logins to enable me to log in to the 2.4 and 5.0Ghz frequencies. I didn't change any router settings I only checked the settings and relayed the information to Karl.

It seems I live in an area where this is a lot of wireless interference so perhaps I need the router that deals best with it.

Figgis
Highlighted
Community Star

The 2.4GHz band normally has 11 channels numbering from 1 to 11. The 5GHz band varies in the number of channels that can be used. This is down to how many the router and also any network adapter in your devices support. They number upwards from channel 36.

"It seems I live in an area where this is a lot of wireless interference so perhaps I need the router that deals best with it."

Or you just ask me to help you, I am a lot cheaper than a new router, what router can you buy for £0.00?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Chat Champion

My router worked well on the 5.0GHZ band or channel but you say I must not use that. On the 2.4Ghz band the speed jumps from high to low. That's with the current router.  I have not changed channels. I have connected to two different wireless connections but have not changed any settings.

All I want is a good connection without having to change anything or spend numerous days on the Forum going back and forward.

If you can sort this out I would be really pleased. I want to stop having to do test after test. I just want to use my laptop without buffering or stuttering and without having to change settings.

Figgis
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Correction: In the previous post, I confused channel 5 with the 5Ghz frequency. It is not recommended to use channel 5 on the 2.4Ghz frequency.

@OCE_Chris  or @OCE_Karl please contact me about the frequency to use as I want to go back to connecting all my wireless devices. 

I wish to keep using the 2.4Ghz (original) login ending in '0' for all my devices except the laptop as they all seem to work OK on that.  I want to keep using the 5.0Ghz login ending in '1' for my laptop as I usually have a good connection on this unlike the 2.4Ghz band. I use the laptop for almost everything so it needs to have a good connection.

Figgis
Highlighted
Chat Champion

@KeithFrench 

Thank you for recommending Acrylic Wi-Fi Home. It is very interesting seeing the wi-fi traffic in my area.

As I have heard nothing from the OCE's I have taken your advice and changed the channel on the 3.4Ghz frequency to number 11. 

If I decide to rename the network frequencies to something relevant to me and use the same name for each will I cause confusion. Will I have to change the login on all my devices after that to enable them to connect.  If I keep my original TT network name and use it for both frequencies will that cause a problem. This would be the easiest option for me.

Figgis
Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Figgis 

You are entitled to set the network names to whatever you want.

Keith

Highlighted
Philosopher

You are much better off having easily identifiable SSIDs, one for each band.

I have just set up my new router and my dual band devices (PC and smartphone) could only see one SSID as both bands had the same name.

I have no idea how Windows or Android prioritises which one to show in the connection options, but there was only one choice when two were transmitting.

Martin
Highlighted
Chat Champion

@KeithFrench 

OK, but if I use the same name for both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz connections how will the router decide which frequency to use.

Figgis
Highlighted
Chat Champion

@martswain 

I know less than nothing about this subject.  I have Faster Fibre so I get a fast stable connection and I really shouldn't need to know.

You: "have no idea how Windows or Android prioritises which one to show in the connection options, but there was only one choice when two were transmitting"

Is the frequency with the least traffic chosen, or is that too logical.

Perhaps an @OCE could explain.

Figgis
Highlighted
Philosopher

If you have both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands with the same NAME, then the router transmits on both frequencies unless you disable one using the router control software.

The issue is, if your device (PC/phone/etc) can receive both bands, only ONE name is shown in the connection options, which one you connect to will depend on the way the device and it's software is set up, which as far as I can see is not obvious.

However, once connected, you then can see which band you have connected to using the appropriate menu on the device.

It is much easier and sensible to have the SSIDs named differently using the router control software, there is absolutely no disadvantage in doing so.

PS. My Thai ISP provides a router with split names and the facility to have 3 Guest SSIDs on each band, I don't know why TT cannot do the same.

Martin
Highlighted
Community Star

The router will still use both bands, it is just that it will try and move any 5G devices to the 5G band.

Keith

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@martswain Thank you for the link,

Extract from Gizmodo - Why Your Router Has Two Wifi Bands and How They Work

Broadly speaking you can split dual band routers into two categories. Some broadcast the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands as separate wifi networks, so you can connect your laptops, phones, and other devices up to the most appropriate one, depending on how much bandwidth they’re going to use and how far away they are from the router.

However, other routers serve up the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands under the same Wi-Fi network name: Devices then connect to whichever band is strongest at any given position in your home (if a device only supports the 2.4GHz frequency, then it’ll obviously stick to that). This approach of managing everything on your behalf is more common in newer routers.

If both bands of wifi are being broadcast under one single name, a few devices will let you manually choose 2.4GHz or 5GHz, but the majority will manage all this automatically for you—you’ll need to check your device documentation for details. It’s not possible to specify a band on the latest versions of Android, iOS, Windows, or macOS, for example, unless two separate Wi-Fi networks are being broadcast by your router.

The good news is that means less for you to worry about—just carry on using your Wi-Fi and your router and connected devices will take care of switching between 2.4GHz and 5GHz depending on signal strength. The downside is less manual control over your network, and fewer troubleshooting options should something go wrong.

While most routers now automatically combine the two bands under a single name you can usually turn this feature off in the settings allowing you to choose which band your devices connect to. If you find your router is being stupid and connecting devices to the less optimal band this is an easy fix.

I think this answers many of the questions raised by me, but if I opt for one network name for both bands, with automatic band selection, what prompts a reselection of bands or is this happening all the time.

Figgis