cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not Faster Fibre - TalkTalk measured Speed Today: 80 Mb but ACTUAL speed around 28 - 33mbps

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@KeithFrench 

I was watching TV and reading the Gizmodo article so didn't see your post until now.

When the router tries to" move any 5G devices to the 5G band", will it be seamless and will I notice any difference.

Perhaps I should try it and see. I presume if I give the same name to both frequencies and I encounter problems, I can change them back to separate names.

Was my router using both frequencies before @OCE_Karl split them. I may have gone around in circles for two weeks if that's the case.

Figgis
Highlighted
Community Star

I don't know about you going round in circles, I seem to have been explaining the same thing over & over!

However, when will the band steering kick in, is different.  I can't be precise as there are about three modes this can work in and it depends on various threshold settings that can apply. TalkTalk has never told me which mode or settings they use None of this is available within the router's UI on any TalkTalk router to allow configuration, other than to basically to turn this feature on or off. I will go into it in more detail if you really want me to, but when the change happens to won't really notice it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@Keith No need to go into further detail as I have taken up enough of your time on this subject. No need to reply to this post.

My comment about going around in circles was because OCE_Karl said he had split the connection to give me a separate login for each of the frequencies. I then wondered if I had automatic access to both frequencies before the split when I just had one login.

I have not heard a peep from @OCE_Karl

Figgis
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Figgis

Apologies for the delay.

I'm just checking this with OCE_Karl and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi Figgis

OCE_Karl advised that he separated the wifi channels to help with wireless interference. Has there been no improvement in the performance of the connection?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@OCE_Debbie 

Before discussing the speed, will you please explain the position before OCE_Karl separated the wireless channels into a separate login (ending in 0) for the 2.4GHz frequency and another login (ending in 1) for the 5.0GHz frequency.

Which frequency was I connecting to before the split?

Figgis
Highlighted
Philosopher

With the router working out of the box, it transmits on both frequencies and the SSIDs have the same name and password

Your device will only see one name.

If your device is single band it will connect to that band.

If it is dual band, then, as we tried to explain, it will connect according to the device and/or router rules, it could be either frequency.

You will only know which frequency by looking at the device's connection information.

So, to summarise, before the SSIDs were re-named to identify the bands, you would only know by checking on the device.

Martin
Highlighted
Chat Champion

I didn't know what frequencies I had been connecting to before Karl split them, that is why I asked if I had been going round in circles only to end up in the same place as I was in at the start.

You said "You will only know which frequency by looking at the device's connection information"

Where on my laptop will I see which frequency I am connected to when I return to square one, using both frequencies. Before the frequencies were split, both were enabled In router wireless settings as they still are.

Figgis
Highlighted
Chat Champion

@OCE_Debbie

I carried out several speed tests on the Talk Talk speed checker late this afternoon. You should have access to the results.

At about 4.50pm I tested the 2.4GHz connection a few times.

At about 5.15pm I tested the 5.0GHZ connection a few times.

The results were abysmal

I then turned off the router, using the reset button and left it off for 30+ minutes When I turned it back on I conducted some more tests.

At 7.00pm I tested the 2,5GHz connection a few times on your speed checker.

At 7.25pm I tested the 5.0GHz   "                 ditto

The speeds had improved but were not glorious.

I tried some more tests later, again using your speed checker and the results are noted below:

9.42pm  2.4GHz frequency:  23mbps, 29mbps, 25mbps & 30mbps

9.45pm  5.0GHz frequency:  30mbps, 27mbps, 28mbps & 30mbps

When I first started using the separate frequencies, the connection to the 5Ghz band was much better but recently it is not always better and a lot of the time the speeds are quite similar.

At the suggestion of another member I set the channel on the 2.4Ghz band to 11 as a WI-FI analyser showed it was the least congested channel.  I checked just now and it is on channel 1.  The analyser shows that channel 1 is the most congested channel and 11 is the least congested. Does the channel change automatically??

Figgis
Highlighted
Philosopher

On any router, after changing the WiFi Channel, you must also click on the "save" button.

If you are using the HG633, there is no automated changing of channels, however the Sagemcom Hub does have WiFi optimisation.

For Windows 10 

Settings - Network and Internet - Status - View your network properties

This will give you the SSID and Link Speed between you device and router.

Settings - Network and Internet - WiFi - Hardware Properties

This shows the frequency and channel.

Martin
Highlighted
Chat Champion

@martswain

Thank you for the directions.

In Network Properties the Link Speed (Receive/Transmit is 390/390mbps. On WiFi Hardware Properties I am connected to the 2.4GHZ frequency on channel 8.  In the router wireless settings page the 2.4Ghz channel has defaulted to auto. I had set that to 11. The  Wi-Fi analyser showed my connection to channel 11 for a long time but now shows channel 8.  Channel 11 is in use today by the majority of nearby users. I think the channel changes by itself to avoid congestion.

If I change any settings I know I have to save them but until I acted on Keith's advise to change to channel 11, I had only viewed the settings.

Figgis
Highlighted
Chat Champion

Figgis_0-1583013945563.png

Figgis_1-1583014471557.png

Above is an example of the speeds achieved over the last few days. On the night of 26 Feb the speeds increased and stayed very good for a day or so, that was on a wireless connection. You should be able to see my tests as I carried out numerous tests on  https://www.talktalk.co.uk/speedcheck/

I posted a PM to OCE_Debbie then. Now, the speeds are the slowest they have been since I signed up to Fibre. I still only have a few devices connected, a laptop, printer and aphone on wireless, and Hive on Ethernet. 

Why am I getting such slow speeds. Is the router working correctly.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis

Apologies for the delay.

Have you also run a wired speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@OCE_Debbie 

I use a laptop and a tablet most of the time so need a good reliable and fast connection on both. 

I live in a flat where all the rooms are on one floor, not in a ten room mansion. My small block of maisonettes is two levels high so it's not a huge block.  Normally the speed is almost the same wired or wireless, but this time around the wireless speeds are much slower - with a few exceptions like on 26/27 Feb. Last night I was watching an ITV drama on my laptop and had to abandon it as it was buffering, stopping, going to ads, then starting the whole cycle all over again. It was the same on my tablet.

How does a household with a couple of adults and a few children manage on wireless with their many wireless devices and so many watching catchup TV and playing games etc.

I carried out several tests today on your site and some below. When are you going to provide a speed test for your customers where they can see a history of their tests.

Figgis_0-1583335308645.png

My wireless speed has been good to acceptable from when I posted with a problem last April/May. So why is there now such a difference between wired and wireless. Do I have the best router to transmit the signal to devices.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis,

Ok, would you like us to send a different make and model of router for testing purposes to see how the wireless speeds compare?

Thanks

Highlighted
Chat Champion

@OCE_Michelle 

If you think another router will be better at transmitting the wireless signal to my few devices, situated between 2 feet and 10 feet from the router, then please send one.

Every time I carry out a speed test on Ookla I see adverts for wireless senders, amplifiers or boosters. Things like this one: https://bit.ly/2VN1lyA  Are they any good and do you recommend or supply them. Amazon also sell items like this:  https://amzn.to/3cB02J0. Do they work for a good wire free connection.

Figgis
Highlighted

Hi Figgis

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chat Champion

Thank you. I hope it works. and I can then enjoy good speeds again.

Figgis
Highlighted