cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not getting guaranteed broadband speed and missing posts!

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Sebsan,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the speeds compare over the next 24-48hrs.

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle

sorry about the delay in responding, for some reason I’ve had to re register on this site, really don’t know what’s happened here. (now sebsan2). 

Received the router and have conducted speed tests the results are erratic to say the least

13th feb

lenovo p2- 32.2/18.6

ipad1- 30.7/14.6

ipad2- 12.9/18.5

iphone6- 26.7/18.3

14th feb

lenovo p2- 46.3/18.1

ipad1- 34.9/14.3

ipad2- 37.1/17.5

iphone6- 3/6.2/19.2

ive also conducted a few stand alone tests with the Lenovo p2 and have reached mid 60’ on a couple of occasions but only on this device. All other devices are only reaching the figures highlighted above and all devices are still not achieving the guaranteed minimum speed.

can you please advise 

many thx

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

All done, many thx

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks consistent. Could I just confirm, were all the recent speed tests completed wireless?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Michelle 

yes, all wireless.

many thx

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2,

Thanks for confirming. Have you tried separating the SSID's on this router?

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi michelle

tried this and I can only get as far as ‘Manage advance settings’. After this no pop up box appears to continue nor do I see ‘wifi Configuration’. It leads me to ‘welcome to talktalk WiFi hub’ page.

interestingly two of my devices have automatically defaulted to 2.4gz (both iPads) and two to 5gz (iPhone 6 and Amazon Alexa). Although my android phone (Lenovo p2) is connected via WiFi, it doesn’t appear at all!

so as it stands, I can’t progress any further. Would it be better for someone to call me and talk me through it?

kind regards

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi

I've changed the wifi SSID for you to separate the channels, the 2,4Ghz chanel now ends with a '2' and the 5Ghz channel ends with a '5'.

The password is the same.  Connect to each of the 2 channels in turn and see if one is better.

Thanks

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Participant
Thx Mark
Yes I can see that now and I can also see that all devices are stored under 5ghz. Just can't see how to move any over them over to2.4ghz to try them out.
Also when 5ghz section is selected it states channel 44 on the 2.4ghz section the channel selection states auto. Does this affect anything?
Thx in advance for your help
Regards
Sebsan2
Sebsan
Highlighted
Participant
Sorry, I meant Karl
Apologies
Sebsan
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Karl

Forget that, I’ve sussed it.

ive run speed tests on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz

2.4ghz is definitely slower than the 5. We’ve run tests about 3 meters from the hub.

ipad 1 33.8/16.3 (5ghz) - 33.2/16.6 (2.4)

ipad 2 31.3/16.7 (5ghz) - 28.1/17.6 (2.4)

iPhone 6 41.2/18.7 (5ghz). - 30.1/18.6 (2.4)

So as you can see, no improvement at all I’m afraid

could you kindly advise

thax so much

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2,

Ok thanks for trying this. Could I just confirm, are the speeds ok if you run the speed test wired? I'm just trying to confirm if this is solely related to the wireless connection as we can offer more advice on this.

Thanks

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Michelle

I'm sorry but we don't have any device that we can wire to the router. All our devices are wireless and all the speed test results given previously have been conducted wirelessly.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sebsan2

Sebsan
Highlighted

Hi Sebsan,

Approximately how far from the router is the device that you're running the speed tests on? Does it make any difference to the speed if you move to within a meter of the router?

Is your router situated close to other wireless or electrical devices that could be causing interference?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi chris

In a word, no. It makes no difference. Previous speed tests were from approx 3 metres. Just taken one with my iPad sat next to the router 30.0/13.7 so no difference whatsoever

Nearest device to the router is a tv which is 3-4 metres away and not even switched on.

we’re getting a bit frustrated tbh as we’ve experienced this lack of performance from day one and we’re still so far away from achieving the guaranteed minimum speed that you’ve pledged

can we please resolve this

thank you

sebsan2

Highlighted

OK thanks for the information, just to confirm, you don't have a cordless phone near your router? (I had wireless connectivity issues with my router and found that it was being caused by a nearby wireless doorbell chime)

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

No Chris

the cordless phone is in a different part of the property separated by doors and walls. 

To recap, we can connect wirelessly to our devices but the speed is so slow, certainly no way near achieving the guaranteed minimum speed pledged.

appreciate your help in resolving this

thx

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2,

Thanks for confirming this. I've re-checked all the connection stats and the firmware and everything still looks ok so I'm not sure what is limiting the current wireless speeds on your different devices, especially as the lenovo laptop (mentioned in one of your earlier posts) has faster wireless speeds.

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any more advice in regards to the wireless speeds?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Sebsan 

Michelle has asked me to help you with your wireless issues. Where a thread is very long like this, I simply do not have the time to read through it all, so you may have to bear with me. Judging by one of your posts though, I assume you have the Sagemcom Wi-Fi hub?

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they?