cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not getting guaranteed broadband speed and missing posts!

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

thanks for the post. Keeping things brief, we’ve tried a host of this including switching from 5 to 2.4ghz and every test result is consistent in that, it doesn’t achieve the minimum guaranteed speed pledged...by some distance! (Just to confirm that the Lenovo P2 is an Android phone, not laptop)

i appreciate your comments about possible outside interference however if this is the case, then don’t offer such a guarantee. From my perspective as a new customer moving onto ‘Faster fibre’ TalkTalk hasnt delivered on its promise, it’s that simple.

so to resolve this, I’m more than happy for you to send me this guide in order to investigate this further or if that’s too much, talk talk could reduce my monthly bill by half for the remainder of the contract seeing as I’m only receiving half the speed promised, or I could leave penalty free as per the 30 day guarantee. 

Please could you or Michelle advise the best way forward as from my perspective, this cannot remain as it is, I’m sure you’ll appreciate that

I await the response

many thanks and kind regards

sebsan2

Highlighted
Community Star

Despite not being paid for this, I will do everything I can to help you. I would point out that I am talking of WiFi, not outside interference.

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

Many thanks indeed for the reply and attachment. I’ve had a brief look and it’ll take me a little time to digest it as I’m far from being a tech expert. 

I should say at this point that we don’t have a pc or laptop. We have 2 x iPad 2, 1 x iPhone 6 and 1 x Android Lenovo P2 phone, that’s it. (Probably the community are questioning how we manage with these archaic devices!).

Nonetheless, I’ll go through the attachment and see if I can supply info you require from these devices. I’ll be in touch as soon as I can

again, thanks so much

regards

sebsan2

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

here are some screen shots from my Android phone.

36D4837D-0737-4E41-A762-F83AB838E9F3.jpeg3ACA45EF-A3AC-406F-850C-FF88A36A49A3.jpegED242524-AC40-44E7-B618-BCD4EA560807.jpeg9EBC062C-9EEE-4B7A-BC99-C1B6C06F4D96.jpegE954B3DC-3D66-4690-9643-63D2F953709B.jpeg7DBBA506-3589-451E-B4AC-DCC9AE51CE68.jpeg39251CFE-49FB-4BE4-8465-2E2CC5D6551A.jpegF5A54AB7-108F-4096-A597-0687A044608A.jpeg

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

Hope the above info was helpful. Please let me know if you need any further info. Also, I can’t find anyway to send you data for the two iPads and iPhone 6. Shame as these are the most affected devices. Can 6ou suggest a way around this?

Also, just to let you know, we do get random disconnection and reconnection from time to time. For example, on the Android phone I get a audible and visual notification the my phone has disconnected and almost immediately after a notification informing me it’s reconnected. This happens randomly, don’t know if this helps.

Kind regards

sebsan2

Highlighted
Community Star

You do not have any wifi interference, but there is something that concerns me. When you look at the signal strength/time graph, I assume that your two networks are the red & blue at the top (I have no way of knowing this from your screenshot). The red one (presumably the 5GHz) suddenly takes a nosedive near the end of that time period (possibly you cut the time axis off when taking the screenshot) & comes back up again.

It might not be wifi interference causing that, but possibly electrical interference. So it might be worth looking at the router location etc.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Team Player

14C7018F-8734-4FBC-8ED7-D8D4137C3FA6.jpegHi Keith

thanks for the response. I’ll resubit the red graph (above) and it is 5ghz which actually works best. This is a full image.

Firstly, we live in an open plan bungalow. The router is in the main room which is fully open plan. The nearest device is a tv and sound bar some 3 metres away however neither are switched on until late evening.

the only other position is in a hallway which is away from the open plan but the speed tests that we’ve conducted (many times ) confirm little to no difference. 

As mentioned ive attached another screen shot of the 5ghz ‘Red’ graph. Can you please expand on your concerns in laymen’s terms on how this may affect things please

thanks so much

sebsan2

Highlighted
Community Star

That is not the view I am talking about it is the signal strength/time graph, I think they call it the Time graph.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

please see some screenshots taken this morning.

6D793D9A-DC15-4612-8BCC-E4F5D826ABE0.jpeg1C0F745C-4627-4EA3-B756-3D923767CBF9.jpeg35D8547C-92E4-45C9-AD6F-3578A36371A2.jpegEEED12AA-C1E6-4570-9F14-958C28ACCD3C.jpeg37661720-37C8-48DA-968B-E00B908C9DC6.jpeg2BA8165D-D3BA-442D-8FFE-9CD956C69A21.jpeg

Highlighted
Community Star

You have something a miss then with either the router or WiFi adapter in your android device or the android is going into sleep mode. Please can you check your power management on this device?

Keith

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Keith

The router is brand new from talk talk only a few weeks old. My android phone is working fine and certainly not entering into sleep mode, flight mode or any power saving mode. 

Sebsan
Highlighted
Community Star

You have other wifi devices, do they exhibit the same problems & if so can you run an analyser on them?

Keith

Highlighted
Participant

Yes the same problem affects all devices. The other devices are 2x iPad 2 and 1x iPhone 6s. I'm really not sure how to download/connect a WiFi analyser to these devices. Could you kindly help?

Thank you

Sebsan
Highlighted
Community Star

In my guide I sent you, the only one I know of for Apple devices is NetSpot, which is for MacOS, I am guessing that your devices do not run this OS. If that is the case the only things I can think of is

a) what happens to the light on the front of the hub when this happens

b) if nothing with the light, try another hub.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Sebsan

How are you getting on? I can see that Keith has posted on your thread with additional information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

no I can’t run this sadly

with regards to the hub, nothing happens the white light remains steady. If we need another hub it’ll be our third in less than a month.

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

thanks for the post. Keith has been very helpful however despite this we are no nearer to resolving this problem. It’s been going on now for nearly a month since we joined. As previously stated, the WiFi is working but we are consistently not achieving the guaranteed minimum speed pledged. In fact most days we’re reaching half of that. Keith has suggested trying a new hub and if so, that’ll be our third in a month. 

So as it stands, problem remains the same with no fix. Perhaps you could email me so we can resolve this

thank you and also thanks to Keith

regards

sebsan2

Highlighted
Community Star

This is affecting multiple devices with no WiFi interference or apparent instability on the line, all I can do is ask the OCEs to consider a replacement router.

Keith

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Sebsan2

Apologies for this.

Please let me know if you would like me to send a replacement router?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Participant

Hi Debbie

It'll be our third one but if you think it will help solve this problem, yes please

Many thx

Sebsan2

Sebsan