cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not getting guaranteed broadband speed and missing posts!

Highlighted
Community Star

In that case @Sebsan , it must be something else that causes that dip in the wifi. Can you tie this down to anything at all that you are doing at the same time as this happens?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Sebsan

Were the routers different makes and models or were they all the same?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

When i made the screen shots it was only that device (Android phone) in use with the WiFi. I was in the same room (open plan lounge, kitchen, day room) and sat no more than 3 metres from the hub. Nothing else was being used at that time.

as mentioned earlier ( don’t know if this is relevant) my Android phone disconnects at random times and reconnects almost immediately. 

Like ive said, WiFi works but it’s not as fast as it should be, it’s almost pedestrian on the iPad with download speed similar to our last broadband which wasn’t fibre!

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

they were the same, the black rectangular one

many thx

Highlighted
Community Star

In my previous post I mentioned that your analyser screenshots did display a noticeable drop in signal strength for a short time. This should not be happening, we can discount the router as you have had several of these now. This leaves the device's network adapter or more likely the wireless medium itself. Hence why I asked about the router's location a few posts ago.

In my last post I asked if there is anything like an electrical appliance being turned on or off at the same time as the drop in the signal strength. Please can you consider this & let me know?

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2

The Sagemcom Wifi Hub? Would you like me to send a different make and model of router? (HG633)

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

When I made the screen shots, nothing electrical was being switched on or off. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Standby Debbie, Keith is still considering a couple of this, please see his comments. Will let you know

Highlighted
Community Star

To take this any further I would need to be at your house, which as I am not paid for this, it will not happen. You could try Debbie's suggestion of a different router.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Keith

thanks for the mail. You’ve identified a problem but as you’ve explained, you’re not paid to visit our property to fix, therefore our problem will persist forever. This isn’t helpful at all despite you providing a gratis service- I’d question why you would do so in the first instance. It would seem that despite my daily involvement, it has amounted to nothing. #?capability

no need to respond, I’ll talk this up with talk talk.

Highlighted
Team Player

Debbie

please see Keith’s comments below. Clearly unable to assist further as he’s unable to visit the property. His parting shot was to suggest trying a different router when he said in a previous post that this wouldn’t  resolve the problem. This has proved to be a total waste of my time, and delayed matters considerably.

As you’ll see from his posts, he has clearly has identified a problem, he can’t fix it as he’s not allowed to visit our property, therefore it’s clear that  there is a problem from your end which is preventing us achieving the guaranteed minimum speed fibre broadband that you have pledged. What is more worrying is that Keith has acknowledged and accepted we have an issue but as he is unable to visit our property, it can’t be resolved, really?

This is not acceptable so could you either call me or pm me so we can resolve this immediately 

thanks 

sebsan2

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Sebsan2 

You misread my post. All of my help is totally free of charge, just like any other Community Star. It is not that I am not allowed to visit your property, it is simply, as I am not paid for anything I do on the Community. I, therefore, do not see why I should provide this extra level of cover when it would be totally at my own cost. If you don't like this, then sorry, but it will not change.

When I suggested you try a different router, this is exactly what @OCE_Debbie offered you previously. However, I am not confident that it will solve the problem, as from the screenshots you have provided me, something is pulling your signal strength down. You have already had several routers, it is unlikely, but not impossible, that another will solve this. The most likely cause of this, is that something within your property that is causing this, rather than a fault with the router.

Keith

Highlighted
Team Player

I appreciate your comments. All we have achieved is to identify a problem which we all know exists. As it stands, despite all the posts, we’re no nearer resolving it. From a customer perspective, I’m not receiving the service we I have contractually signed up for, it’s that simple. Whilst I appreciate you devoting your free time, I really do, it doesn’t help me or solve the issue. As you and the talk talk are remote, all that can be done is best guess what the issue is but I stress, it doesn’t help me as it’s not resolved. 

Thank you you for your input but I now think that this issue now lies with @OCE_Debbie. Debbie I’d appreciate if you could pm me. Thank you

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2,

Would you like us to arrange a TalkTalk engineer visit for you?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

could you or one of the team please PM or call me to resolve. Many thx

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2,

I think the only way forward is to arrange a visit from one of our engineers. If you'd like us to go ahead with the engineer visit please let us know as we'll need to confirm some details with you (please also see potential Engineers charges

Thanks

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Chris

thanks for your post. They way to resolve this is for you or a member of the team to PM me. I think that would be best. I’d appreciate if someone can contact me via pm soon

much appreciated 

sebsan2

Highlighted

Hi Sebsan2

Apologies for the confusion. Would you like us to PM you to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi Debbie

No, I’d like someone to pm me so we can resolve this.

thank you

sebsan2

Highlighted
Team Player

@Sebsan2 I read through your post and it said that your router was in sync at over 70Mbps.  This suggests that you are close to your cabinet and can get virtually full speed but this will never happen on wireless.  To try and keep it simple and help you, speed guarantees normally only refer to this sync speed (BT have introduced stay fast now where they say your real world data throughput will never fall below 45Mbps for example) but this will never refer to wifi throughputs.  The real world speed that you can actually measure and use is slightly less than this at around 95% of this value but since your are on wireless, it will never be near this value especially on devices supplied by TT which are renowned for poor wi-fi performance.  On the 2.4GHz band for example, my connection is connected at 60Mbps but via wifi, I can get only 29Mbps which includes standing in front of the router.  The 5GHz band is largely dependent on line of sight and is wildly unstable on these devices.  They do offer better speeds though in the same room as the router but for me only 40Mbps out of 60 and as I said it fluctuates wildly.  The graphs you posted shows exactly what I get when using ipads on 5Ghz, they continually lose connection.  It's only stable on 2.4Ghz.  So in order to prove for sure if your connection is working, you really do need to plug a laptop into the router and run a speed test with a wired connection.  I get 58Mbps when using  devices hardwired proving that the connection is solid.  You can pick up ethernet adaptors for firesticks (£15) for example that make the world of difference and you can do a hardwired speedtest on that.  One thing that you can do on your router is to make sure that you turn off the Auto channel selection - this solved the continuous disconnections for me as it prevents the router from constantly swapping.  You just need to choose one other channel that has nothing on it from your graph.  In the end, I ditched the TT hardware and purchased a Netgear router which beamed the wifi everywhere at 50Mbps.  I think having an engineer visit is a bad idea at this stage until you have run at least one test yourself over Ethernet as the engineer will do this and if the engineer sees 70Mbps , there will be no fault and you will be charged for the visit. Good Luck.