Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not getting guaranteed speed

13 REPLIES 13
bongo5
Chatterbox

Talktalk guarantee 10Mb/s. 

Now barely getting 5Mb/s.

Talktalk & OR have been and 'fixed' it twice before, i suspect they just change the noise margin to 6 or 9db, and once the DSLAM has monitored the line, it changes it back to 16db and my speed drops accordingly.

What can i do to get OR to fix the root problem of the unstable line rather than putting a sticking plaster on it ?

Talktalk been today, and have passed it to OR to attend in 2 weeks time.

What are my options and rights here if i am not getting the guaranteed speed ?

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Hi

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi bongo5

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

bongo5
Chatterbox

Hi.

Update. Talktalk came out to assess reason for low speed, they left as quickly as they arrived.

OR now turned up and have just changed the Noise Margin from 16db to 6db. The speed is now 14mb, but this has now happened three times. 

The OR engineer agreed that this is a sticking plaster fix and that the DSLAM will over a few days monitor the line and will increase the Noise margin again as the line is not stable, and as the noise margin is increased, the download speed will reduce to an unacceptable <2mb when the noise margin is 16db. 

Talktalk guaranteed 11mb.

What are my options in the longterm, as <2mb is not acceptable for the money i am paying.

bongo5
Chatterbox

and before you ask, the line attenuation is 29db.

Community Team

Hi,

Can you please add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can locate your details.

If unsure of your number, simply dial 17070 from your land line phone and this will confirm the number for you.

Please reply when this has been updated.

Thanks

Karl. 

bongo5
Chatterbox

I've added the name & number to profile. 
This is my Dads broadband. 
I am trying to help him get the speed he is paying for !!

Community Team

Hi bongo5,

Did the Openreach engineer say what he thought was causing the connection to be unstable?

Chris

bongo5
Chatterbox

Update:; 12/8/19.

OR engineer changed Noise margin to 6db, but said it was a pointless exercise as the line is unstable and it will increase again in a few weeks. 

He was right, the Noise margin is back to 17.5db and speed is barely 2mb.

Line attenuation: 29.5db.

This speed of 2mb is no more than when i was on standard ADSL. 

I am paying for Fibre to get a better speed.

Talktalk 'guaranteed' 10mb. 

Can you advise what you can do to get this sorted out properly please.

Changing the noise margin to 6db is a sticking plaster exercise and not a proper fix.

Maybe get OR to prove out a new twisted pair or install a new drop wire ??

I will leave it with you to get back to me.

Thanks

Community Team

Hi bongo5,

Thanks for the update. Could I just confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as noise on the line?

Thanks

bongo5
Chatterbox

Hi. 

No noise as such, and the phone line works ok.

Community Team

Hi bongo5,

Thanks for confirming this. The line test is clear. Could you also confirm if you've tested with an alternative router and we can ask our Network Team to take a look at the drop in sync speed?

Thanks

bongo5
Chatterbox

Yes, Router was changed to a new one 12 months ago when the Fibre Broadband was upgraded from standard ADSL.

These speed issues have been ongoing since the very start.

Only tweaking the Noise margin will the Sync speed be increased, but this just reverts back to unacceptable speed (2mb or less) in a matter of a couple of weeks as the network equipment changes it.

This needs a proper fix as we were guaranteed at least 10mb.

Community Team

Hi

I'm detecting a bridgetap on the line and the speed is lower than it should be.  This will require an engineer.

I'll drop you a PM with the info required.

Thanks

Karl.