Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not getting minimum promised speeds

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Chatterbox

Hi, sorry in advance for the long post

We have recently signed up for faster fibre and we were promised speeds of a minimum of 35mbs download. When the switch was made we were achieving these speeds. However over the past 14 days it has gradually decreased to the point where we are currently getting 20mbs download. We have also been suffering from lots of connection drops.

Here are the steps we have taken so far.

1. Router has been manually reset for 30 mins
  2. Landline has no crackle and we have a dial tone
  3. Speeds have been measured using TalkTalk speed check via Ethernet cable
  4. Reset the gateway on the router
  5. The router is connected via the main/only socket we have in the house
  6. service centre shows a problem with the stability and speeds

On top of these steps we also tried to resolve the issue of the connection drops via live chat which to summarise:

• Removed the faceplate of the main socket while line test was run
  • Did line test with faceplate back on
  • Was told our set up in the house was fine
  • Was told OpenReach engineer would be out to the box on the street to fix this on Monday
  • informed that we would receive confirmation once this was complete

As far as I am aware no engineer has been out as nothing has changed and we have received no confirmation. Furthermore on the service centre our case for the fault from the live chat remains open and states an OpenReach engineer is on the way in 2-3 working days but this has been the same since Saturday so I am a little doubtful this will happen.

If I understand correctly TalkTalk have 30 days to get us up to the minimum speed or we can leave without penalty so I am guessing this starts from today as I am informing them of the problem. However this is a last resort as we have been customers for years.

Hopefully one of the forum staff can help and advise what to do next as they seem the most helpful from my experiences with this company.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Paul

I'm sorry to hear this.

I can see that this fault has been raised to Openreach and is under investigation with a line engineer.

I have requested an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thank you Debbie.

As an update the speeds seem to be picking up again. Just the drops in connection are getting worse. Every couple of minutes yesterday the light on the router would go amber for a few seconds.

Highlighted

Hi Paul

Apologies for this. I will post back here as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Update:

Engineer finally came out a week ago. Had a look at street cabinet and came into the house and Said that everything seems fine and there are no problems with home setup ie: wiring/faceplate.

Since then the internet has suffered many disconnections. As an example today I count at least 8 times the router has changed from white light to amber and then back.
Disconnections are more frequent during adverse weather. (Like a small drizzle)
Speed has also slowly been decreasing which I’m guessing is as a result of disconnections. We are down to roughly 20mbs download speed (WAY OFF THE MINIMUM PROMISE OF 35mbs).

A final thing to note is that the router interface is no longer showing me logs past the 30/06/20 which I find strange.

Where do we go from here? Seems like a joke to be paying for something that does not work as stated on purchase of the contract. Before switching to fibre we had a completely stable line with TalkTalk.

Please can we sort

Highlighted

Hi Paulstewi

I've escalated this fault back over to Openreach as the line test is detecting a fault. This will go to a line engineer and we should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Chatterbox

Thank you for getting back to me. Hopefully they can figure this out.

Please keep me updated.

Regards

Highlighted

Hi Paulstewi

Apologies for the delay.

Openreach have requested that we arrange an engineer visit to the property.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie