would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Not getting speeds im paying for

20 REPLIES 20
Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

Ive been with talk talk now 13 almost 14 months

I had the hub when i joined and got 74 megs speed for all of 6 hours! Then my wifi in the hub fried it took constant arguments with talk talk for 3 weeks to finally get them to send a new one BUT they didnt send a hub it was a useless super router & my speeds dropped to 51.4 megs!

Im paying for the super speed plus the boost so suposed to get between 61/80 megs & at the lowest 55 megs

I again complained about my speeds & my tv box stopped working so i had rubbish fibre and no tv either because the speeds were to low to run the tv box so they decided to send out bright spark or should be unbright spark as he did nothing he walked in looked at the pic on the tv with the error & said talk talk know of the fault they have to sort it & left! So i was without tv for about 2 months they decided to try a different super router again not the hub and low and behold my speeds went down to 36 megs! So we plugged the other one back in & i complained again about my speeds the complaint was an open complaint from 6 hours after joining them! Finally after 12 months they decided that my hub id sent back was faulty after all & sent me anorher one BUT still my speeds didnt go no higher than 51 megs so again i complained so they sent bt openreach our today and he found a fault & fixed it BUT when we checked my speeds they were low & behold 41 megs even lower & i cant now get a stable conection if my tv box is recording! I cant play on any games consoles & i cant watch anything on-demand talk talk have already said my signal is going against ofcoms code of practice for gaurenteed speeds & if not corrected in 28 days i can leave for free of charge which sadly im seriously thinking of doing now because im sick of being fobbed off scammed & robbed of my money for something not fit for purpus 

Oh and now there trying to say bt fixed my problem when infact its worser bt asked talk talk to reset my line to try to get my speed at what im paying for but its not corrected it 1 bit its made it worser 

KeithFrench
Community Star

Speed tests do not help identify the cause of the problem.

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password:   see the label on the rear of the router (unless you have set your own password).

Go to -

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

Im conected by both eithernet and wifi 

Eithernet is my tv box & xbox ect 

Wifi is my phone & ipad ect 

Hope i did this right as did on phone lol 

StatusConnection TimeLink StatusStandardLine EncodingLink Encapsulation
UP
03h58m30s
UP
VDSL2 (G_993_2_ANNEX_ B)
DMT
ATM (G_992_3_ANNEX_ K_ATM)
  Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]
Line 1
DownstreamUpstream
Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

It wont let me post the copied part in full said something about not allowing hyper links 

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

Line 1 DownstreamUpstreamActual Rate [Kbps]5294819347Maximum Rate [Kbps]6041719347Noise Margin [dB]6.005.80Attenuation [dB]18.400.00Power [dBm]12.807.60

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

I know im suposed to be getting between 61 to 80 megs and the lowest accepted is 55 but mine was 51.4 but is now lower at 49.4 so talk talk have again decided to send bt openreach out again on mon but im not holding out any hope of it getting sorted as its been like it now & getting worser since i joined them june 6th 2018 so coming up 14 months now 

They have told me my speeds are going against the code of practice for what i should be getting 

Im going around in circles bashing my head against a brick wall

My previous supplyer was SSE i had a constant conection of between 74 80 megs day & night but they put there prices up along with sky so i changed to talk talk with tv as sky channels but it was a huge mistake indeed 😭💔 if my talk talk box is recording my wifi becomes unresponcive and very laggy becaue the speeds are so low 

KeithFrench
Community Star

That bug in the forum software can be a pain, where it truncates some stuff, so thanks for the perseverance. I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate it for you.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Angelbabe1uk

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 61.6mb.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a wired speed test using the TT speed tester so we can see the results?

Thanks

Debbie

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

Sorry but thats a lie ive just tested it myself and ive got 53.1 mbs so i dont know whos your checking but it defernatly isnt mine sadly

Im paying for speeds of between 61 & 80 and im only getting between 11 & 53 and my gaurenteed speed in heavy times is 55 so its even lower than that 

Openreach are due out again today because im not satisfied as this has gone on now since i joined you june 6th 2018 so is aproaching 14 months now with rubbish speeds & my tv box either failing to record or telling me im not conected to the internet because its so bad & ive got programes that ive recorded off your sky package via the fibre thats so garbled its unwatchable 🤬👎

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

I can not run a wired speed test as i dont own a pc or laptop i only have my mobile or tablet so i cant do that

It shouldnt make a difference weather its wired or wifi as like i said my previous supplier i ran same checks i do to talk talks fibre and i got a reading of between 74 & 80 megs every day with no drop down in speeds at all

Talk talk is throttling my speeds the openreach guy who came fri already told me that & he cant put them back how they are ment to be only talk talk can do it there end by stopping my throttling and reset my line to the full speed im paying for

Community Team

Hi Angelbabe1uk

The speed we can see is the sync speed, your speed tests are the throughput speeds. This will be slightly less than the sync speed.

Have you tested different wireless channels to see how the speed compares?

Thanks

Debbie

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

How do i change the wifi i can only acess my hub either via my phone or tablet as i dont have a working pc anymore it sadly died 2 yrs ago 

If you tell me how to do it i can get my son to try as he is here with me right now as currantly waiting for openreach to call as not arrived yet there call out is 1pm to 6pm today

Community Team

Hi Angelbabe1uk

This help page provides further information on changing the wireless channels

Change your wireless channel

Thanks

Debbie

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

Sadly talk talk have lied to me about bt openreach calling out to see me today

They were supposed to call between 1-6pm but as you can see its 8pm and not 1 phonecall not 1 txt off bt openreach at all & now im being ignored by talk talk via facebook private messages & on the txting system so ive had to report this to ofcom to look into what options i now & if i want to end my contract early because of how ive been treated for almost 14 months 

martswain
Philosopher

@Angelbabe1uk 

WiFi speeds tests are not NOT a very reliable snapshot of what is happening. 

Where I am right now I have 100/100 fibre and 7 different SSIDs 

I have just done a few tests.

On all 3 WiFi routers using the 2.4Ghz SSIDs I can only achieve a link-rate between the device and router of a maximum of 65 Mbps, even at a distance of 6 feet.

So, even though the incoming rate is 100, the WiFi speed test maxes out at around 60, purely constrained by the link-rate between device and router.

On 5Ghz I can get a link rate well in excess of 100, but ONLY very close to the router, so then a speed test result is in the high 90's.

Therefore, it's advisable to go into your device settings to actually see what the link-rate is, if it's below the sync rate, that will be a limiting factor.

Martin
Community Team

Hi Angelbabe1uk,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Would you like us to raise a complaint into our CEO's office so that this can discussed further with a Complaints Manager?

Thanks

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

Yes please

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

When i check mine via wifi im litterally sat with my hub behind my head at the back of my settee so cant get much closer than that 

I will get my son to look at what you said once im home as im out at the moment

Talk talk are trying to get me to buy a wifi booster but i doubt they would do anything at all if pratically sitting on top of the hub doesnt do anything at all

I never had this trouble with SSE i had a consistant 74 megs no drop outs at all day or night but was with a different router

I even asked talk talk for my fibre user name & password to put into my own router but they refused & said im not allowed to have it even though im the bill payer so i cant try a better stronger router to see if it boosts my internet to the correct speeds im paying for 😮 sounds like something to hide to me & other ppl ive told about it say the same thing as long as im using there hub they have rights to throttle me speed but if i use my own they cant gain access 

Angelbabe1uk
Conversation Starter

If it is the problem how can it be corrected or is it talk talks fault

Community Team

Hi Angelbabe1uk,

I'm sorry for the delay. I've raised this over to our CEO Team now and asked that you are contacted as soon as possible.Just to advise, this can take up to 5 working days.

Thanks