would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

OCE DLM Reset / Optimise Connection request

59 REPLIES 59
Highlighted
Team Player

Hi

I had posted previously that I had an issue where our router would disconnect every night which was causing the speed to drop. The issue has stopped following changing the router and we have had no disconnects for over 68 days with the router connected to the test socket and it has been synced at 63meg (with a max speed of 75meg), so we decided to reboot the router today and it connects at the same speed of 63meg with a max of 75meg so appears that the DLM has banded the line due to the previous issue as we used to connect much higher and closer to the 75meg.

Can an OCE please reset the DLM / Optimise the connection now that the issue causing it to disconnect has been resolved?

Thanks,

Stuart

Highlighted
Community Star

The OCE have no control over fibre DLM, this is entirely handled by the automated Openreach DLM system. Is the 63 meg connection causing you any particular issues?

Highlighted
Team Player

@ferguson I’m a little confused as you have previously flagged up others posts for support to get their line “optimised” so unsure why you are now saying they can’t.

i am just looking to get our line back to the speeds we had previously before the issues now that they have stopped and line has been stable for so long.

@OCE_Michelle can you help optimise the line as can see you have been able to do this previously for others including those that ferguson has replied to? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Highlighted
Community Star

Look again and you will find that it can be done on a standard ADSL line,  but not on a fibre line. 

Highlighted
Team Player

Wow! Ain’t you a treat?!  I did say I was a little confused given your previous replies but instead of being nice and helpful you chose to be condescending, thank you and bravo!

well given the ability was rolled out last year I’m surprised talk talk haven’t taken advantage of this.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/ability-reset-openreach-fttc-broadband-dlm-profiles-ar...

anyways maybe an OCE can arrange for it to be done via an engineer or give helpful advice so I will await that official help and advice.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

A DLM reset may well help you - unlike other some other ISP's TT seem not to want to do this very often

The profile chosen by the ISP when the line is ordered from Openreach can also affect how the line works after a problem. Some ISP's use a profile that allows more errors before a line is slowed or banded than the profile that TT choose to use.

Even though most lines are from Openreach performance can depend on the policy of the ISP I have seen this with my own eyes take a look at the post I made about it a few days ago

At the end of the day it is for the customer to choose his/her ISP with care to ensure the service offered is the service wanted.

Highlighted
Team Player

@viewer625 Thank you for your detailed reply. It's useful and really helpful to know and perhaps when my contract is up I will need to take your advice on board and research line profiles etc by provider before switching 😀

Highlighted
Community Star

I was trying to be helpful, that is why I suggested you look again at the posts in question and you would see the difference in approach between ADSL and fibre. I cannot see anything remotely condescending in what I said and frankly I find your comments offensive.

The OCE will not be able to reset DLM, nor will they be able to arrange an engineer unless your speed is below the guaranteed minimum handback threshold, which I doubt very much. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

"The OCE will not be able to reset DLM"

Changing ISP will cause a reset though - I do wonder why TT will not get remote DLM resets sorted as some other ISP's manage to do

Highlighted
Community Star

@viewer625 wrote:

"The OCE will not be able to reset DLM"

Changing ISP will cause a reset though - I do wonder why TT will not get remote DLM resets sorted as some other ISP's manage to do

That's a bit of an extreme measure just to reset DLM, which may only provide a short-term change anyway. Which ISPs offer this service?

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Might be extreme, but I have seen it work with my own eyes and solve a speed problem TT said was down to OR and outside TT control and it worked and continues to work and work well

A&A
"The line profile on a FTTC line is managed by Openreach, and it is very hard for AAISP Support to get a line reset. It is possible, so do ask" (as of 2015)

Plusnet

"we can request to BTW that DLM be reset if your on a Banded line that DLM hasn't removed on it's own accord after a length of time"

How DLM works
https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Fibre-Optic-Broadband-FTTC-What-is-DLM-and-how-does-it-wo...

What are the DLM thresholds?
Zen Internet provides our Fibre Optic Broadband (FTTC) services on the “Speed” option. A connection should drop no more than 20 times in a 24 hour period, and should error no more than 2 times per minute.

The additional thresholds are:

Standard – allowing no more than 10 drops in a 24 hour period and no more than 1 error every minute.

Stable – allowing no more than 5 drops in a 24 hour period and no more than 1 error every 2 minutes.

If TT let customers choose Speed rather than standard profile it may help some

AFAIK TT profile is for a 6dB S/N other ISP's use 3dB S/N this may also explain speed problems

It does not help when customers are told "nothing we can do" the chosen profile is never mentioned nor the possible improvements changing it might bring. The problem is always put at OR's door and thats not right the profile chosen by TT can have a bearing on the case. and OR give the ISP the profle as ordered.

I have lost count the number of times OCE's here say the profile is chosen by OR it is not. the DLM profile is but the line profile is chosen when the line is ordered and the DLM will work within the spec as shown above for each profile

Highlighted
Community Star

So not really very much then and presumably only when the line is otherwise proven to be free of flaws. And the overall profile is set at network level as I am sure you know and is not the issue here. The fact remains that TalkTalk cannot reset fibre DLM.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Have it your way

3 profiles 3 choices of how errors affect the line and thus the speed

Profile chosen by the ISP NOT OR you seem to find it hard to follow that, your choice

Highlighted
Community Star

The overall line profile type is chosen by the ISP, please tell me what that has to do with DLM resetting, or having it my way? That's a rhetorical question by the way. Can we leave it now for the OCE to respond to the OP's support topic please? That isn't.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi stuf83,

Unfortunately we don't have any control over DLM for fibre connections. We can only reset DLM for a ADSL line. A fibre DLM reset would be completed by an Openreach engineer as part of their investigation.

I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault. Just to confirm, were you previously receiving faster speeds?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Unfortunately we don't have any control over DLM for fibre connections"

Whilst that may be true you do have control over the line profile and the profile TT choose to use can affect sync speed. that is your profile will slow a line in the event of errors faster than if you used a profile that allowed more errors before DLM slowed the line

Please take a look at the post I made yesterday Zen explain things better than I can

Highlighted

Hi viewer625,

We wouldn't comment on another ISP's policy. If the fibre sync speed is below the predicted speed range for the line then we would complete full diagnostics and pass over to our Network Team. They would then determine if an Openreach engineer is required. The Openreach engineer would then fully investigate, resolve any potential issues and reset DLM as part of their investigation.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I think you may have miss understood what I wrote

The info from Zen explains how all FTTC line profiles work

3 profiles are offered to all ISP's by OR not only Zen and the ISP chooses the profile

The more stable the profile chosen the greater chance of DLM reacting to any problems

I just put my pals number into the TT line checker (I did ask him that was ok) it gave

"We guarantee you a minimum download speed of 23.0Mb"

and we know TT use a standard line profile

But the BT checker shows a minimum download speed of 32.0Mb

AFAIK BT use the speed profile

The funny thing is 9mb is close to the speed increase he got when he moved ISP away from TT (actually he saw about 12mb increase) from banded at 40 mb to around 52mb

Same line same copper you do the math

Highlighted
Team Player

@OCE_Michelle Yes we used to get faster speeds as mentioned from this post and previous posts that explained that the connection used to drop in the evening we have tried a couple of routers including the one supplied by yourselves and it made no difference. TT had previously sent an OR engineer as potientaly due to REIN or SHINE issue but the engineer didn't have the equipment to check for electrical interference. Since using the current router TP link Archer VR600 the connection has been stable for over 68 days. During this time no DLM correction had been applied and the line was banded at 63700. This is despite the stable line and 6db SNR with no errors or FEC's. This issue has been going on for some time as we have a complaint sitting with Tristia Harrison via resolver ceoexec@talktalkplc.com over the issue. The line is still banded with no DLM correction for the max 64 days. It's disappointing to learn that an a major ISP you haven't taken up the Openreach remote DLM reset option. Does this need to be an engineer visit?

Highlighted

Hi stuf83,

Thanks for the additional information. Could I just confirm, have you been contacted by our CEO complaints team and are they currently looking into this for you?

Thanks