cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

OMG fast plug directly into Talk Talk Rueter

16 REPLIES 16
Enlightened One

Just wondering whether I can actually plug directly into the Talk Talk Rueter without using the open reach who are the white modem? 

done some test using speed test today 

i’m having a new TalkTalk Rueter sent out by one of your lovely staff members and they said I just need to plug it directly into the Talk Talk Rueter and unplug the Openreach modem,  if that’s the case why do openreach use these White  modems? 

I am on G-Fast

ptescol

I'm no expert, i'm just a guy!
Community Star

Hi

The answer to your question is YES.  You do not have to use the BT white modem, since the new router is also a modem. Just take the rj45 socket cable out of the back of the white bt modem and plug in to the new modem / router supplied.  Instructions can be found in the box.

The just power on the new supplied modem/router.

Orange light will blink for a while and when connected turn white to say it is connected to broadband.  All the router wifi logon names and passwords can be found on the detachable tab on rear of router.

Community Star

BT used to use the White modem, since that was their early way of doing things. You could have separate Modem and then connect in any router.  Then along came devices that were all in one. Modem / router combined.

Saves you a plug socket as well.

Philosopher

@paulshent , oops, check the last line of @prescol 's post.

The customer is on g.fast so does require the special modem !

I believe you can get an internet connection direct from the WAN socket on the modem to a computer, but if you need routing functions and WiFi the HUB needs to be connected to the modem.

Martin
Enlightened One

Talk Talk is sending me out a new Rueter we found what the problem is it’s the RJ 45 socket on the back of the Rueter which is faulty. As soon as I move it or knock it it loses connection to the openreach modem.

That’s what I thought, because the BT openreach gentleman who installed my G-fast  18 months ago now, he said I must have this modem is a special system.

Sorry about the title of this thread are use dictation as I’m visually impaired, I love it sometimes it comes up with unusual words. lol

if I put my hand on the wire and hold it steady I can get the speed up just under 300 MB per second.  I am super happy with that specially when broadband when it first was installed back in 2002. You was lucky to get 4meg. But then we was quite happy to have a phone line and broadband working at the same time, 

prescol

Community Star

Actually 300 Meg could well be described as OMG Fast!  😃

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi prescol

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how the connection compares with the replacement router.

Thanks

Debbie

Enlightened One

Hi Debbie

The speed is fluctuation between 303 and 201. 

The majority of the time is around 218 to 255.

when I was that on the 150 meg it used fluctuate  between 130 to 148. The majority of the time it was around 148.,

I suppose this is normal because the traffic and external conditions..

prescol

Hi prescol

Is this with the replacement router connected?

Thanks

Debbie

Enlightened One

Yes it the new router, it fluctuating quite a bit this morning,

I wouldn’t know if I wasn’t doing speed checks. 

could it be the BT open reach modem? because my parents have had problems with them in the past. 

prescol

Hi prescol

Are you running wired or wireless speed tests? Are you allowing a couple of minutes in between running the speed tests?

Thanks

Debbie

Enlightened One

At the moment I’m doing wireless, 

I am about to set up my laptop in the hallway where the Rueter is.,

prescol

Enlightened One

With the wire plugged in I’m only getting 117

Hi prescol

Thanks for your reply.

When you run the wired speed tests please can you use the TT speed tester and leave 5 minutes in between each speed test?

Debbie

Enlightened One

Hi Debbie I have find out what the problem is , it with a faulty cable. 

i’ve change the ethernet cable to one of mine and it works fine I’m getting about 180 to 310. 

prescol

Hi prescol

Can I just check, have you added the correct landline number to your Community Profile?

Thanks

Debbie

Enlightened One

Hahaha 

had my old phone number on from my previous property for years ago . Now change to my the correct home phone number

prescol