Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Packet loss/ slow internet

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Team Player

hi ,

my problem has been happening for a way over a year now, i think i made posts about it years ago.

I play games online via wired connection and my speed is usually around 55 to 65mb on fibre.

lately in the online games that i play i get packet loss warnings that usually make the game unplayable or i get kicked completely. it is very frustrating because this is why i have internet, to relax and play games after a hard days work. lately it feels pointless and i just choose to read books instead.

usually i can reset the router and the speed goes from 5mb back up to say 55ish but then it slowly drops back down.

even when my speed is good i still get packet loss. my ingame ping could be 10 and it will be flashing red (packet loss). doesnt matter that i have the best ping in the server.

does anyone know what is going on with talk talk lately? thanks. i hope someone can help me.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Grumpydubs ,

One of the TalkTalk OCE's on this forum should be able to pick up this post next week and do some tests on your connection and your router. If the OCE's think there might be a fault with your router they may be able to send you a replacement to see if that resolves the problem.

They are quite busy at the moment, and don't work weekends, but hopefully they will be able to respond to this post early next week.

Highlighted
Team Player
Thanks @Skynet_TX
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Grumpydubs,

I'm sorry for the delay and also to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and the sync speed looks very consistent.

Do you experience the latency/drop in speed at anytime of the day or at a specific time? As the throughput speed improves after you reboot the router then this would suggest a possible router issue. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
hi, thanks for the reply, yes i get the packet loss at any time of the day, and slow internet is also any time of the day, in the evening if i reset the router it will be fine for a little while and i will get over 65mb. i would like to try another router if that is possible thanks
Highlighted

Hi Grumpydubs

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
Thank you Debbie , much appreciated
Highlighted

Hi Grumpydubs

No problem, please let us know how you get on 🙂

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
so far so good, i played Rocket league all night last night and not once did i get a packet loss warning and my ping didnt flash red. also when i do a speed test it seems consistent and may have actually gone faster. during rpime time i was getting 70mb and i havent seen that EVER.

i will let you know in a few days how its getting on. thank you
Highlighted

Hi Grumpydubs

That's great. Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player
so fgar everything seems good, not as many packet losses on games and i am very happy with this. thanks for all the help
Highlighted

Hi

Glad to hear things are looking up 🙂

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player
meh, back to the old internet again now, constant packet loss, low speeds (5meg) average. *@#][!![]'#[@#]!*!!!!!!
Highlighted

Hi Grumpydubs,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've re-run the line test which is clear and the stats look ok. How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player
It's terrible every night , so close to changing providers it not funny , the packet loss is now affecting BBC iPlayer and my games, if the wife is watching BBC iPlayer and I'm on a game and get packet loss warnings her stream stops and buffers at the exact same time
Highlighted
Team Player
LITERALLY GETTING 3MEG RIGHT NOW WTF
Highlighted

Hi

All tests are clear and sync is showing at 76mb.

I've checked the DLM logs for the past few days, there is an increase in errors some evenings. Not excessive, but more than we should normally see.

Would you like to progress to an Openreach engineer.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
Team Player
Hi yes that would be great, it really getting me down, it's fine in the day but I work for a living so that means nothing
Highlighted
Team Player
couldnt even watch the community shield just then on bt sport app. did a speedtest

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps
Highlighted

Hi Grumpydubs,

The next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further, to do this can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also sent you a PM to confirm some details 

Thanks

Chris