Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Pathetic Speeds

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Team Player

I am getting pathetic speeds, way under the guaranteed 26MB/s I was promised on fibre.

It was fine for the first 2 years but lately it is a joke, I am lucky to get 18MB/s 24/7 and tonight I am barely getting 10MB/s.

I am paying £25 a month for ADSL speeds, this is unacceptable.

Either stop throttling me or I will exit my contract because you cannot supply the guaranteed speed and change provider incurring no charges!

Highlighted
Community Star

How do you connect wireless, wired, or a mixture? If a mixture is a wired connection better than wireless?

It is important to see what your line is actually capable of and what your current download speed is.

To help diagnose this issue, please can you log on to your router, by opening a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome etc) and then enter this address in the address bar:-

http://192.168.1.1

enter the credentials:-

username: admin
password: admin        (unless you have set your own password).

If you use the HG633 & DSL-3782 or the TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub, they have their own unique password, which can be found at the top of the label on the rear of the router. It is the one labelled "router" or "admin" password, not the wireless one.

Then go to your ADSL or DSL summary page & paste the stats in this thread.

On the HG633 this is at:-

Maintain > System Information & expand Broadband Information

On the DSL-3782 go to the home page & copy the stats from the DSL & IPv4 pages.

If you have the new TalkTalk Wi-Fi hub this can be seen via:-

Dashboard > See internet settings > Manage Advanced settings > TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub

Click on the General tab then scroll down to the page to the xDSL section & copy & paste them into your reply.

Next can you also go to this speed checker (it is useful to have speed test figures taken at the same time as gathering the router's statistics):-

http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/

Alternatively use:-

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Do this on both wireless & wired (if you have wired), but with never more than one device connected at a time.

Please can you paste the results here?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi dgsection

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 27.4mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run a wired speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @KeithFrench

For your information:

1. Wired over Ethernet (1 Desktop Win 10 box connected)

2. Wi-Fi disabled (not used and so disabled for extra security)

3: Until a few weeks ago my maximum sync was 39MB/s with constant throughput of around 28-32MB/s

4: As Debbie pointed out my sync is now 27MB/s, but the throughput is pathetic ranging from 10-20MB's

@OCE_Debbie

I will turn off the router for 30 mins about 2pm and post my stats & speedtest result later, although I doubt there will be any improvement as DLM is in control

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi dgsection

Thanks for your reply. Would it also be possible to connect the router at the test socket for 48hrs whilst DLM monitors the connection in this set up and following the 30 minute power down?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Here are the stats following a 45 min power down, certain improvement over the last few days, but still way below what I was and did achieve for over 2 years 😞

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Interleaved
DSL up-time:
0 days 0 hours 1 minute 40 seconds

All done!

We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.
25.8 Mbps
Your average download speed
7.3 Mbps
Your average upload speed

I will need to remove the faceplate to access the test socket, I will do that tonight before I go to bed and get back to you in 48 hours.

I cannot see that making any difference though, the router is literally 2ft from the socket using the supplied DSL cable and the phone is just 1ft away with no internal extensions/wiring whatsoever.

I have the pre-filtered Openreach faceplate VDSL 1.0

Thanks for your help, will post back in a couple of days, will I need to use a filter when connecting to the test socket? I have 2 in the router box

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi dgsection

Thanks for your reply. Yes please can you use a microfilter at the test socket.

If the sync speed doesn't increase after the 48hrs and is below the predicted range for your line then we can pass this over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hi @OCE_Debbie

it's been 48hrs but I have seen no increase in the download sync, throughput seems to be a bit better, but nowhere near as good as it was for the first few years on Fibre. (39994 sync with about 30-32MB/s throughput)

I am now lucky to get above 25MB/s throughput at any time, even the peak time of 8pm-10pm

My upload has increased a touch, now 8MB/s instead of 7MB/s.

but as far as I can tell there have been no drops or re-syncs in those 48 hours plugged in to the test socket.

I checked out BT and they claim I can get ~50MB/s, so I may just see my contract out and go back to them unless TT can finally offer me the faster fibre boost or TT offer me a very good deal to retain my custom.

It appears there is nothing you or I can do, there is no fault, just poor performance.