Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor Broadband Speed - Constant Dropping out

12 REPLIES 12
ward0007
Chat Champion
Hi Chris
Further to you earlier note below, is this where to let you know that my brand speed is low despite you telling me that you tested it at 23 Mbps and I am testing it at circa 6 - 9 Mbps, see screenshot below.  What can we do now?

Hi ward0007,   Do you have a recent thread on the Community? We generally only use PM's to confirm private information as the conversation gets fragmented if we use PM's for diagnostics/discussion etc. If you don't have a recent thread can you please start one in the appropriate support section and we'll be happy to help Chris.
Speed.JPG

Best regards John
OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi ward0007,

Thanks for starting a thread

Are you running the speed tests on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable or wi-fi? Are any other devices accessing the internet at the time that you run the speed tests?

Chris

ward0007
Chat Champion

Hi Chris

Yes I'm running a laptop connected by Ethernet cable to the router.  Yes a phone and a tablet (closed down - notifications only) connected when running a speed test.

The speed has now really picked up 22 Mbps and dropouts seen few.  This may be a coincidence or a factor; there is a lot of chat on local social media about Virgin Media having problems in the area, been off or slow for a week or so, would this affect TalkTalk fibre?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Best regards John
OCE_Michelle

Hi ward0007,

I'm sorry for the delay and thanks for the update. How have you found the speeds since your last post?

Thanks

ward0007
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle

The speed seems fine WHEN connected.  After investigation I suggest that the router's wi-fi output may be faulty.

I come to this conclusion for when my laptop is connected via wi-fi to the router, the connection drops out between 10 seconds and a minute.  To get it going again I have to disconnect from the router and then re-connect.  When I use a direct Ethernet connected cable to the router all seems well.  Additionally, I have a remote wi-fi amplifier and when I connect the laptop to that all seems well again.  Also my wife's tablet is starting to drop out the same, this is connected by wi-fi to the router, likewise a wi-fi internet television in a study (seldom used but tried as a test) also drops out after a minute or so or won't connect.

Could you send me a replacement router to verify that the fault is with the router's wi-fi?  I have re-booted several times but with no change.

Whilst not without a connection the Ethernet cable is not convenient to continue to use and my wife is starting to complain about her tablet ! !

Looking forward to hearing from you.

John

Best regards John
OCE_Debbie

Hi John

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you send me a Private Message to confirm the name on the account, I can then send a replacement router for testing.

Debbie

OCE_Debbie

Hi John

Thanks for the Private Message.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

ward0007
Chat Champion

Router arrived yesterday, will install and test today.

John

Best regards John
OCE_Debbie

Hi John

Thanks for keeping us updated, please let us know how you get on 🙂

Debbie

ward0007
Chat Champion

Hi Michelle

The new router is B R I L L I A N T !  !

Speed is consistent around 19 MBPS with every thing connected (for test purposes) and drop outs few (seen a couple whilst on email but may have been something different).

May I now keep the newly arrived router and send the original one back, or is the one I have a test model?

looking forward to hearing from you.

John

Best regards John
OCE_Debbie

Hi John

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please can you keep the replacement router and return the old router using the returns bag.

Thanks

Debbie

ward0007
Chat Champion

Thanks Debbie, I will do that today.

Thank you to you and your team, the experience was really helpful and timely.

John

Best regards John
OCE_Debbie

Hi John

No problem 🙂

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie