would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor Fibre Connection Speeds

30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi OCE

I am a new talktalk customer, and cant seem to get the speed I was able to get with my previous supplier.  Nothing has really changed here except for the ISP and the router, and im only getting 19 - 20meg!

If OCE (is that talktalk staff?) could look at this for me please, and could any other users recommend a decent router, that i could get to change to, it would be appreciated.

thanks

Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel 

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable
all done, thank you
Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel

Thank you for updating your Community Profile.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 40mb.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run a speed test following this?

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, so i've done that, and gained maybe 2meg now getting downloads of 23mbps, upload 9.5 and a pin of 16ms

Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel

Are you running the speed tests when connected wired or wireless?

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable
my connection is hardwired
Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel

Thanks for your reply.

Have you ran the speed test on a different device? Are there any devices in use and connected to the internet when you are running a speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable

My xbox one X which is also a wired connection, is reporting a speed of 25 - 27meg!  I run the speed test when things arent using the net.

Anonymous
Not applicable

having just run a speed test on another website for comparison, it reports the same speeds as my xbox picks up.  Can you also please tell me what the MGALS is for my area.  Thanks

Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel

I can send a replacement router for testing. Are you currently using the HG633 or DSL3782 router?

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable
Neither. I had the new 'super router' made by Sagem, but I am now using my own router which is a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 and the exact same result
Community Team

Hi

Nothing stands out here.

Can you run a ping and traceroute from a wired device so we can look and see if they show any increased hop times.

Thanks

Karl. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok, and how would I do that exactly? and since my question about mglas has been edited out, i'll ask again. What is the MGLAS (Minimum Guaranteed LIne Access Speed) for my area please.
Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel

There isn't a minimum guaranteed speed for your area. Customers are provided with a minimum guaranteed speed at point of sale.

Run a Ping or Traceroute

Thanks

Debbie

Anonymous
Not applicable
ping was
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 9ms

traceroute was
1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-78-151-238-65.as13285.net [78.151.238.65]
4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-78-151-238-68.as13285.net [78.151.238.68]
5 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms host-78-144-14-112.as13285.net [78.144.14.112]
6 9 ms 14 ms 8 ms 72.14.208.22
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 10 ms 9 ms 12 ms 108.170.233.232
9 8 ms 10 ms 12 ms 108.170.234.161
10 9 ms 8 ms 7 ms lhr35s02-in-f3.1e100.net [172.217.23.35]
Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel,

Thanks, the results look ok apart from the slightly high ping to the router. Did you run this test wired or wireless?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
it was a wired connection.
Community Team

Hi TechnicalMarvel,

Could you try three more speed tests at different times of day, on the My Account speed checker and could you switch off any other devices that access the internet while you run the tests. If there's no improvement in speed I'll ask our network team to take a look at this for you

Chris

Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry its taken so long to reply. Ive started a new job. No matter when i run the test its the exact same result!