Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor WiFi upstairs

ANSWERED
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Enlightened One

I am only seeing a 2Mbps WiFi signal upstairs - when downstairs, I connect at a reliable 65Mbps

This is from an HG635 router

Is this normal ?

Is it worth upgrading to a new "HUB"? 

Highlighted
Community Star

There are a number of steps you can take to improve WiFi performance without changing routers, the HG635 is generally a solid performer. As an avid follower of the community I am sure you must have seen many posts on this subject recommending such things as using a wireless scanner to check for congestion, have you tried that?

Enlightened One

@ferguson 

Yes I have and have found that the signal drops rapidly anywhere upstairs - and "beamforming" does not appear to help.......in fact with beamforming off - the signal is marginally better !

I have tried "pointing" the router towards the upstairs PC and that makes no difference at all

It does seem a waste of a fast connection (and fast i7 PC) not to make use of its full potential

Highlighted
Community Star

The signal is bound to drop the further away you move from the router. Have you checked for congestion as I mentioned earlier? Where is the router physically located?

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@ferguson 

The router is located in the hallway, limited by the phone socket !

I have checked signal strength at various locations around the house - using an Android app and it doesn't like "upstairs" at all  -  the signal tails off dramatically

The house is a standard build 50's semi - so no solid stone floors or similar !

Highlighted
Community Star

OK, have you tried a wifi analyser?

Highlighted
Enlightened One

Funnily enough - I do not have one of those - who does ?

Highlighted
Community Star

Um, most people? There are applications available online, you must have seen @KeithFrench refer to them many teams. In fact I have mentioned our esteemed friend on here, I am sure he will be able to give you more detailed advice.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

You mean an android app ?

I've checked using one of those

Highlighted
Community Star

That will do. I would wait for @KeithFrench to respond now, he will guide you through what you need to do.

Highlighted
Community Star

Hi @Weevie 

Generally speaking, WiFi signals travel best on the same floor as the router & the floor below. It is more difficult for signals to reach the floor above.

There are numerous free Wi-Fi analysers available, I can help a lot with helping you to use one & analyse its results for you. If you want my help, let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Star

In that case, please send me the following screenshots from it:-

• Channel graph (2.4GHz)
  • Channel graph (5GHz)
  • Time graph (let it run for 5 mins before taking the screenshot)
  • AP List

To include these in your reply, please insert them all via the “Photos” icon on the editor's toolbar of your reply.

Each one will probably be around 250K in size for a .png file and in the “Photos” upload section in the forum, please ensure the size is set to “Large".

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Enlightened One

I have tried "WiFi signal strength meter" which shows the relative signal strength around the house

This varies from 94% in the living room (20 feet horizionally from the router - through a brick wall - to 10% upstairs - same straght line distance, through a wooden floor !

Highlighted
Community Star

If you want my help, then on Android, please use “WiFi Analyzer” by Farc & get me the screenshots I requested.

Keith

Highlighted
Enlightened One

OK Will give that a try..

Highlighted
Enlightened One
Highlighted
Community Star

Yes that's the one, sorry for the typo.

Keith

Highlighted
Enlightened One

I have an added problem

I am unable to go wireless on my router

I have reset it

I am unable to login as admin

The default password won;t let me in

Highlighted
Community Star

Are you using the Router Password, not the wireless one?

Keith

Highlighted
Enlightened One

@KeithFrench I am using the password printed on the router - what is the default password ?

Silly me - I was not using the admin password

Sorted now - thanks