Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor broadband signal

ANSWERED
12 REPLIES
Highlighted
swain-16
Sightseer

All week my fibre broadband signal has been really poor.  Its not my PC as I have a TP-LINK 600mbps booster, and the signal is the same on my phones and tablets wherever we are in the house - even sitting next to the router.  I work from home through the internet - this is totally not acceptable.  I have read other complaints and tried all the remedies that have been offered but nothing is working. Very disgruntled and will stop paying if not resolved!

Community Team

Hi swain-16

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you update your Community profile to include your name, telephone number and alternative contact number, we can then look into this further (Please do not post this information on this thread)

Please bump this thread to confirm once your Community profile has been updated.

Thanks

Debbie

swain-16
Sightseer

Unbelievable!!  I have just been speaking to Frederick on the account chat app. He said that we might need our Wifi channel to be changed.  I remembered this was a problem last time and when you changed the channel everything was good again until the next time.  I then made a flippant remark asking why do you keep changing our channel - probably so you can fit even more people into an already overflowing exchange and his reply was "Yes, that's a big possibility!"  So that confirms what I have thought all along - that TalkTalk sign people up even if they don't have the resources to provide them with a good service.  My oh my! I should have gone to BT!

Community Team

Hi swain-16

Apologies, wireless signal is not related to the exchange.

Wifi is a localised signal that goes from your router to your device, this is not related to the exchange. If you have interference on your wifi then this can be caused by other devices around you.

If your neighbour uses the same channel as you then this can cause interference.

Thanks

Debbie

swain-16
Sightseer

Thank you Debbie - not what he said though. 

So, if it comes up as being slow on a broadband speed test then it is the line from the exchange to the house - which is what we were talking about.  Everything in the house is okay.  Just don't see how we can go from  16mpbs when it was installed a few months ago down to 4mpbs as has just been recorded but only showing 2 bars at best on all our devices.  Our standard broadband was abysmal which is why we changed to fibre after much persuasion from the talktalk assistant but after a few months, as always, its still no better.  Talktalk are not alone in their poor service - I just don't know why all of you ISPs can't get it right and make everyone happy.  

swain-16
Sightseer

OK so, it had just dropped completely for a while so I wasn't even able to respond.  I am trying to print something on a wifi printer which I am trying for the third time now.  When I look at my network properties and the channels available, I do see another secured TalkTalk resource on it which isn't mine.  That presumably is the neighbour that is on my channel.  How does that get resolved and why can't it be done without me having to keep calling or hanging on my mobile while loads of checks are done please?  I don't have the time for this and when you pay for a service, you expect to get it.

So frustrated now - this is costing me money because I can't work!

Community Team

Hi swain-16

Have you tested different wireless channels to see how the connection compares?

Changing your wireless channel

Thanks

Debbie

swain-16
Sightseer

Thank you Debbie - at last I get somewhere - didn't even know I could do this after all the hours I spend online chat and the phone!.  Sadly though, my internet is not staying live long enough for me to do it - trying to do it dribs and drabs. I can't do it at all on my PC so am having to use my tablet on and off!  This is horrendous!  Channel 6 didn't work at all so I changed to channel 11.  It is stronger on my tablet and phone but still only two bars on my PC, but at least I am making progress.  Many thanks

Community Team

Hi swain-16

Do you have any devices connected wired?

@KeithFrench provides really good advice in regards to improving wireless performance.

Thanks

Debbie

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

Hi @swain-16

Debbie has asked me to help you with your wireless issues. Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, and neither do they get any visibility of this either> This is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

If you have the HG633, HG635, or DSL-3782 they are dual-band routers & offer both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and if the HG635 a password of "admin" as well, or if the HG633 or the DSL-3782, use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

HG633/635 go to:-
"Customise my wireless network"

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "Wireless 5 GHz SSID" field. Then click "Save".

DSL-3782 go to:-
Settings > Wireless (Wi-Fi)

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the 5 GHz "SSID" field. Then click "Save".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi swain-16

Have you had a look at Keith's post?

Thanks

Debbie

nogoodmrfish
Team Player

Was this a solution to the problem because I’m wondering if it can help on my thread as well possibly?

Community Team

Hi nogoodmrfish

You can apply Keith's advice to your wifi issues and see if they help.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat