Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor speed after fibre cables installed outside house

13 REPLIES 13
largolady
Conversation Starter

Hi. A month ago, I had a email from TalkTalk saying “we’re always looking for ways to improve your internet connection and we think we might be able to make yours better. We will be carrying out some tests on your line in the coming weeks and as part of this process an Openreach engineer might try to contact you or you may see them working in your area. We’ll get back to you soon to let you know if we’ve been able to carry out the improvements.”

No-one has ever 'got back' to me but a week or so later some men were on the road outside my house measuring distances. “Fibre cable” they said when I asked.

Last week, I say my internet speed had tripled. Unfortunately, that lasted just a day or two and is now slower than it was and prone to dropout. I went to the TT website and ran the Service Status which suggested I was 'new' in some way and that my line would be monitored for 2 weeks for optimum performance and that during that time my internet would be 'up and down'.

I wanted more clarification so went to Live Chat but the operator only wanted to know about my sockets etc. He also said 'I see you are on a new service' (or words to that effect) which I can only assume is related to new cabling outside my house. I certainly have not taken out a new contract recently.

My question then: assuming there are new fibre cables outside, is it normal for me to have had faster speed for just 2 days and then for it to become problematic while the line is 'monitored'? When is full speed likely to be restored permanently?

Thank you.

Divsec
Community Star

Hi Largolady, from the info given a bit difficult to give a good answer. Have you gone from 20 to 60 and then to18? What is your contract speed? How are you measuring, WiFi or cabled?

Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear during the day.

Monitoring usually last around 14days to evaluate line quality.

Regards Divsec, I don't work here, know little, and have too many opinions.
Community Team

Hi largolady

Apologies for the delay.

Is your router currently switched off?

Thanks

Debbie

largolady
Conversation Starter

Yes, I switched it off after reading a post similar to mine that said switching it off for at least 30 mins was necessary to get the higher speed.  Must be true - my speed is now 4x what it was!  Hopefully, this will be permanent.

Surely, though, the email I got from TalkTalk to say they were making improvements should have also said that a router reboot would be needed.

Thanks for the quick response to my post, both of you.

Community Team

Hi largolady

Thanks for keeping us updated. Apologies that you weren't advised of this.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

largolady
Conversation Starter
After a few hours of great performance, I'm back to square one - dead slow and cut outs. Off to bed now, will report again in the morning.
largolady
Conversation Starter
Still slow this morning so I switched the router off for 10 minutes and, once switched back on, the speed is excellent. I can't be expected to reboot the router every day or every few hours. I'm using an HG633 - is it actually suitable for this new faster broadband?
Community Team

Hi largolady

I'm sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 35.6mb.

Do you have any devices connected wired? Would it be possible to check the connection wired before rebooting the router?

Thanks

Debbie

largolady
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie. I've connected my PC to the router with a cable and all is well. Perhaps that suggests it is my little wi-fi adapter that is struggling with the 'faster broadband'. Is that likely? If so, does TalkTalk recommend any particular type/brand of wifi-adapter? (A permanent ethernet connection is not viable for me.) Thank you.

Community Team

Hi largolady

Which wifi adapter are you using? Have you tried resetting the adapter?

Thanks

Debbie

largolady
Conversation Starter
Hi Debbie. It's an 'Edimax EW-7811Un' which I've unplugged and reinserted. I was then able to download at the same speed as ethernet. Nice! If it slows down during the course of the day, I'll let you know.
Community Team
largolady
Conversation Starter
Hello again. In My Account/Service Status is the message "We're working on your fault. We need to run some further tests. But we need your help to run the tests and fix the problem. Chat to one of our agents via Live Chat. Available everyday 08:00 - 22:00"

This message is due to the aborted call I made to Live Chat referred to in post #1. Is there any chance you could remove this message? Thanks.
Community Team

Hi largolady,

The message is there because there's an open fault ticket, the fault ticket will automatically close after a few days 🙂

Chris