Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor speed on fibre - 7mbps

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Team Player

I upgraded to fibre recently and the guaranteed minimum speed was stated as 18.4mbps. When the service went live I got a maximum of 12. It is now down to just 7.3. I'm using the new router and cables and it is plugged into an extension socket. I have tried plugging into the master socket (which isn't far away anyway) and it makes no difference. I am measuring the speed on a tablet using WiFi right next to the router.

Could you please investigate?

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi gregory10,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see re-connections on the line which can affect the broadband speed.

Is the connection unstable or are you rebooting/switching off the router? Is the voice service also ok with no noise on the line?

Thanks

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for taking a look. We have been switching the router off to try the master socket and to see if the speed improves after being switched off. The phone works fine with no noise. What line speed are you seeing?

Highlighted

Hi gregory10

Would it be possible to leave the router connected at the test socket for at least 48hrs without rebooting to see if the sync speed starts to increase?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there is no power socket near the master socket and I understand that if I use the test socket that the extension where the phone is plugged into won't work. I can't be without a phone for 48 hours. Do you think the speed will go back to 12mbps if we leave it alone? Are there any line settings that you can change? 7mbps is little more than a third of the guaranteed minimum I was promised.

Highlighted

Hi gregory10,

The speed may go back, unfortunately there aren't any line settings that we can change to improve your speed.

How many telephone sockets do you have? Do you just have the one phone and the router connected to your telephone sockets?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Chris. There are two extension sockets. One has the router plugged in and the other has the phone plugged in. The speed hasn't improved and has actually continued to go down. It is now just 3.7mbps! This is 20% of the minimum I was told I would get and little more than the standard broadband I had before. What is going on?

Highlighted

Thanks for the information. So just to confirm, the router and the telephone both connect to their extension socket via a micro-filter?

Does the master socket just have one telephone port (it's not the type with a telephone port and dedicated broadband port)?

Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Chris. You are correct on both counts. Micro filters are attached to both extension sockets and the master socket has only has a telephone socket.

Highlighted

Hi gregory10,

I've raised this to our network team for further investigation. Can you bump the thread tomorrow and we'll check for updates 

Thanks
Chris

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Chris. Is there any update?

Highlighted

Hi gregory10

Apologies for the delay.

I have requested an update on this fault and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted

Hi gregory10

This fault has been passed to BT Openreach so a line engineer can investigate this fault.

We should receive further updates within the next 48hrs.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Team Player

Hello Debbie. We had an expected visit from openreach today. The engineer replaced the master socket with a new larger one which has two sockets and doesn't need the micro filters attached. The speed is now 29mbps! Thank you for getting this resolved.

Highlighted

Hi gregory10

That's great news, thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie