Did you mean: 
Need help?

Port 1024 on HG633

ANSWERED
6 REPLIES 6
Flumoxd
Popular Poster

Hi Talktalkers

Can anyone offer guidance on how I can close Port 1024 on my HG633 on a temporary basis?

I've just completed a security audit on our home's IT kit and found that 1024 is "wide open" in the router. How can I close this port (or ideally 'stealth' it) so that it's not putting out the Welcome Mat to the nasties out there?

Safe to say, if I can close it in the router, the idea is to see whether this impacts any services or functions on our phones/pc's/AV systems etc. If it's needed then I will re-open as required.

Thanks to all polite respondents 😃

KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

Do you have the TalkTalk YouView box? It is normally this that opens TCP port 1024 when it needs it, but at all other times keeps it closed.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Flumoxd
Popular Poster

Hi Keith

Thanks for replying so quickly; you're spot on. The YouView box opens the port. If I pull the cable the port switches from open to closed.

Whats the YouView box doing on port 1024, and if the port is open is it realistically only the YouView box that is exposed?

Thanks for your help!

KeithFrench
Community Star

Yes, it is only the YouView box that is exposed, I think it is some management function or similar that needs 1024. It opens it on all TalkTalk routers & is nothing to be concerned about.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Flumoxd
Popular Poster
Thanks Keith

Much releived it's nothing to be concerned about.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond and to answer my follow up too.

Cheers!
KeithFrench
Community Star

No problem, glad to help.

Keith

Flumoxd
Popular Poster
Much relieved! Can't blame a spell checker for that schoolboy error.