Did you mean: 
Need help?

Port forwarding, changed to new router

ANSWERED
8 REPLIES 8
Leemundo
Participant

Hi, 

I've recently upgraded to the Talk talk WiFi hub after and no longer can see the Minecraft server over the internet. 

The internal IP for the server is fixed, checked the port on the server and it's set to 25565. Server is up to date and firewall is off.

I've set the port to be forward for the server IP within the router both internally/externally across TCP.  

I can log into the server locally with numerous computers but when checking if the port is open across the internet, it's showing as closed.  I've checked whilst not connected to the same internet so that I don't get loop back. Still closed though.

No server can be found with "my external IP:25565".

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Lee.

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi,

@KeithFrench - Would you be able to offer any advice?

Thanks

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Leemundo 

@OCE_Michelle  has asked me to help you. Please can you send me a screenshot of the port forwarding configuration you have used in the router, so as I can check it?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star
Solution

Hi @Leemundo 

I am also helping another customer with Minecraft & the hub. This is what I replied with as it might apply to you as well:-

I have just tested this on my hub & TCP port 25565 opened the first time. This is what I used:-

25565.png

You do not say if 25565 is UDP or TCP in your post. UDP will always report closed when using a port testing website, as these ports are not compatible with them. 

Does this software run on Windows & if so, have you allowed an inbound rule through your PC's personal firewall?

Another possibility can simply be the method you are using to test this. If you could let me know, then I'll expand on this further.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Highlighted
Leemundo
Participant

Hi Keith,

Cheers for the reply and thanks Michelle for forwarding on.

I did mention above that it was over TCP but I have also selected UDP.

InkedCapture_LI.jpg

The server is running on a windows 8.1 pro.  The firewall I had switched off to to insure there was nothing blocking it.  No other antivirus software etc is installed.  

Nothing has been changed on the server or other computers since the server was last working other than the new router being purchased.

This is the website that I have been trying to see if the port is open with.  :-

http://www.portchecktool.com/

Thanks again,

Lee.

Highlighted
Leemundo
Participant

Hi Again,

Well I deleted the above rule, made a new one with what you had shown... and its worked!

If you could explain what the issue is for future reference it would be much appreciated so that I dont make the same mistake again!

Thanks again Keith,

Very much appreciated. Big thumbs up!

Regards,

Lee.

Highlighted
peteb99
Conversation Starter
I think it's because you specified a 192.168.1.*** address as the external host which I think will only allow the address you specify. If you use * instead that allows anyone to use the rule.

I could be wrong though, haha.
Highlighted
KeithFrench
Community Star

That is correct, using an external host entry is pointless unless you want to restrict access only from that address. In nearly all occasions you have no idea what the source address will be. When you create the rule, leave this field blank & it will show up with the wildcard type of "*" meaning any address.

Glad it is all sorted.

Keith

Highlighted
Leemundo
Participant

That's brilliant, thanks guys.  I'll know from now on as I have a couple of other games that I run servers for and have set them all up similarly. 

Really have been a great help.

Much appreciated,

Lee