Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Port forwarding

22 REPLIES 22
trevorraymond2001
Team Player

Im having trouble with a game that's been suggested that I port forward but I'm not sure how to set this up on my router which is the fast 5364 sagemcom router

Screenshot_20190926-102901.png

Screenshot_20190926-102831.png

The ports I need to create a rule for are the PlayStation 4 above in the pic I've never had to do this for the game in question but Activision said it's worth trying after clearing cache ect which I've done I've had a new router I've reset my personnal settings on the PS4 I've now put a rule on my router for the playstation network hopefully this will fix my problem

KeithFrench
Community Star

First off & particularly as you have not needed to do port forwarding before, are you running this game in a server mode? If you are, then other players out on the internet will try & connect to your PS4. If you are not running it in a server mode, then you connect to some sort of server elsewhere on the internet.

Only in the former case, will you need to setup port forwarding. Assuming this to be the case:-

1. Please send me a screenshot of the port forwarding that you have tried on the router.
  2. Have you allocated the PS4 a DHCP Reserved IP address, or statically configured one on the PS4 itself?
  3. If statically configured on the PS4, is your choice of IP address outside of the DHCP Pool IP address range?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

Hello Keith thank you for your message I haven't done none of that you've mentioned all ive done is connected my PS4 via WiFi using simple setup (sometimes I've done custom settings and changed the DNS to Google's DNS) and from their I've put the disc in to the PS4 and click on it to launch and then select which ever game mode I wanted like zombies or multiplayer and I would put put into a game once one was found never had to mess with the router settings but now I've gone into the port forward bit and set the playstation setting as seen in pic

Screenshot_20190926-154723.png

I'm still noticing the router doesn't save what name I've been using for the devices when your looking at the connected devices usually you see the ip address ie 192.168.x.x so I tend to change these for a name so I know who's device is connected the one name as saved for now which is associated to my phone the name I put for the PS4 didn't save and went back to the ip address

KeithFrench
Community Star

Then you can forget all about port forwarding & delete all rules that you have setup. Your scenario will not use port forwarding at all.

The problem about the hub forgetting device friendly names that you have configured is a bug in the firmware. I am hopeful that this will be fixed in the new firmware that TalkTalk is currently testing. I do not yet know the release date.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

Oh ok, is it best to delete the playstation rule or leave it on? If I leave it on it may help with my connection issues.

With the firmware that's being developed with it automatically go on or do you have to ring up and have the tech team put it on?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Delete it. You can have as many rules setup as you want, but in your scenario neither the game nor the PS4 will use them. It has no impact on the problems that you have. On that basis, how is the PS4 connected to the hub, wireless or Ethernet cable? How is internet access generally?

Whenever the firmware gets released, it is applied automatically, you won't need to do anything.

Keith

FritzCT
Wise Owl

OP I assume you can't connect your PS4 to the internet but you can connect it to the wifi?

If so then after you set up the internet connection what happens if you go to "Test your internet connection" instead of trying to play the game? At what point does that fail and what error code does the PS4 give?

I had a similar problem with my sons PS4 yesterday but resolved it by changing the DNS to Googles (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4), however, it seems you already tried that. It may be worth trying Open DNS (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.222.220).

I don't have the faintest idea why the PS4 dislikes certain DNS addresses though.

Fritz

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

IMG_20190926_165214.jpg

 still getting this issue

My Playstation,phones,table,laptop are set up wirelessly only one that is set up wired is the youview box that's wired using the WiFi extenders supplied from Talktalk which is not connected all the time only when I watch catch up

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

Hello Fritz my playstation is connected wirelessly the first time I noticed this issue was after I finished with the share play option on the PS4 my phone had disconnected after the share play was stopped and now I carnt always get a decent game on call of duty because it's saying no network connection detected Ive used simple set up custom set up my up speed is about 35.8mbps up is about 6mbps when playing the game you get so far and then kicked saying no connection

FritzCT
Wise Owl

If you are getting a connection and its dropping I have to defer to keith's greater knowledge.

The "no internet connection" as in ever is a known bug on the pS4 without a definitive resolution but one of the many is to try various DNS addresses.

fritz

KeithFrench
Community Star

Does the PS4 have the option of a wired Ethernet connection you can try?

Keith

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

Only if I use Talktalk WiFi extenders but I've never had to do this it's always worked fine with just a simple WiFi connection

KeithFrench
Community Star

So none of this is the cause of your problem. I'll ask TalkTalk to check your line & router.

Keith

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi trevorraymond2001

I've checked and your router has the latest firmware version.

I have also completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Sync speed looks good and connection appears to be stable.

Do you experience any issues with wired connections?

Thanks

Debbie

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

Hello Debbie I don't really use anything on ethernet everything is WiFi the only device I have used with an ethernet lead is my youview box but I don't use the internet on the box that often only to watch catch up 

OCE_Debbie

Hi trevorraymond2001

I can send a different make and model of router for testing purposes, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

Hello Debbie I already have two different Talktalk routers the one I'm using is the fast router the newest one you provide the other one I have is an older model router that was sent to me when I first joined Talktalk fiber which has several different lights on the front with out checking I'm not sure of the model

OCE_Chris

Hi trevorraymond2001,

And do you have the same issue with the game when using the old router?

Chris

trevorraymond2001
Team Player

I've been playing on it a few days now after doing what Activision suggested by unplugging the power lead to the playstation and unplug the router this helps clear the cache I'm still testing the connect to make sure it's fixed 

OCE_Karl

Hi

Ok, keep testing and let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE