Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Possible Speed Problem after Speed Boost Added

8 REPLIES 8
Birchcroft
Wise Owl

A few days ago TalkTalk added the speed boost to my line and it now syncs at: 60Mb/s down and 19.9Mb/s up.  However while a range of speedtests show an improvement of the upload speed to 16.8Mb/s they show no improvement in download speed which is comming in at the lower end of my expected speed prior to the boost being applied, ie 37.5Mb/s.  I appreciate that the download speed will never equal the sync speed but it seems odd that it still does not break the 40Mb/s barrier.  Particularly as the when I run the TalkTalk line check it enevitably fails on the first attempt, saying it was interrupted, and on the second attempt it comes up with the following:

Your broadband connection could be improved

Our health check on your service shows that your speed to your router could be improved.

Your results explained

The health check we carried out on your broadband line shows that recently you have not been receiving the estimated download speed we guaranteed when you signed up to TalkTalk.

Estimated speed: 39 Mb - 40 Mb

Recent speed: 45 Mb

and:

Your Line Speed

Your Estimated Speeds: 39 Mb - 40 Mb. Your Actual Speed: 45 Mb.

which is slightly confusing as it gives a recent/actual speed higher than the estimated speed and the estimated speed is exactly the same as before the the boost was applied.  Further if I then run the TalkTalk speed test it comes up with a download speed of 38.5Mb/s, ie lower than the estimated speed and the recent/actual speed specified by the line checker.

All the tests are being run on a tower system connected to the router with a Cat5 cable and the router is connected directly to the master socket. Nothing else is running on the machine and  no other devices are connected to the internet.  I therefore wonder if something else needs to be done to obtain download speeds greater than 40Mb/s.

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Strange since my post last night the speed tests are showing a download speed of 69.5Mb/s and on checking my router the sync rate has increased to 75.2Mb/s, the Path Mode having changed from Interleaved to Fast.  So all seems well except that TalkTalk's line check is still showing a problem:

The health check we carried out on your broadband line shows that recently you have not been receiving the estimated download speed we guaranteed when you signed up to TalkTalk.

Estimated speed: 39 Mb - 40 Mb

Recent speed: 45 Mb

even though a subsequent check with TalkTalk's speed checker is in agreement with the others and shows a speed of 69.5Mb/s.   So I presume that there must be a problem with the service state/line checker.

Community Team

Hi Birchcroft

Apologies for the delay.

Have you tried running the Service Status check using a different browser?

Thanks

Debbie

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Hi Debbie,

I've tried Firefox and Edge on the tower system and Chrome from my phone and the line check gives the same result on all of them.  Needless to say I don't bother running the speed test on the phone.

Community Team

Hi Birchcroft

Thanks for your reply.

The sync speed looks good - 72mb and the line tests are not detecting any issues.

Are you experiencing any issues with the performance of the connection?

Thanks

Debbie

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Hi Debbie 

No performance problems since I posted last night and the download line profile changed from interleaved to fast.

Just the issue with the line test when run from my account. It is still either failing due to being interrupted or coming up with the erroneous results shown in a previous post.  In some ways this does not worry me as I have a good working connection which I am happy with.  It is however a little concerning that the line test provided in My Account does not appear to provide reliable results.

Community Team

Hi Birchcroft

Please can you try running another test next week to allow DLM time to monitor the connection and let us know if you still receive the same message.

Thanks

Debbie

Birchcroft
Wise Owl

Ok

Community Team

Hi Birchcroft

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie